News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

window stickers and build sheets

Started by Highbanked Hauler, March 24, 2013, 09:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Since my 500 has neither and I have owned it since it was the dealers demo, Is there anyone out there that reproduces legitimate  copies of  these papers ? I am not interested in fraud or Bull Shooting anyone. Son gets the car if I go toes up and I'd just like the "proof" for the record.  Al
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

FJ5WING

Have you read the thread about Tony's Daytona? It''ll give you a really good idea on how 99% of members feel about reproductions of those two documents.
wingless now, but still around.

moparstuart

Quick answer is window sticker , most likely yes ,   Now broadcast sheet  NO  DONT EVEN ASK OR GO THERE   :2thumbs: :smilielol: :rofl:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Highbanked Hauler

I am not going to comment on that Daytona thread for a multitude of reasons and my car will NEVER EVER be going up for gold certification.  The build sheet that was in my car went to a blue 500 SE that turned up in Washington State and I would have been an ahoe not to send it to the car.  There is a possibility my sheet is in a blue on blue Hemi 500 as my car was built in before Oct 68.  I'd even have GOD sign off on it if I could. My car is more what it didn't have than what it does have.  I'd even put the word REPRODUCTION right on the sheet. :Twocents:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 24, 2013, 09:29:29 AM
  Since my 500 has neither and I have owned it since it was the dealers demo, Is there anyone out there that reproduces legitimate  copies of  these papers ? I am not interested in fraud or Bull Shooting anyone. Son gets the car if I go toes up and I'd just like the "proof" for the record.  Al

Contact Ebay member "vin-number-aged" I know he does mostly 70 and up sheets, perhaps he does earlier sheets

Moparpoolman

Hi, I remember seeing in a mopar collectors guide (don't know which issue)that Galen had a few charger 500 build sheets and was looking for the owners of the cars to return them to at no charge.  You might want to look into that....

Aero426

Hi Al.   Since you and everyone else knows your car is a legit 500 (it's pretty hard to fake one too), what does a reproduction build sheet add to the car?   Even though you have no plans to sell, the lack of the build sheet really doesn't even hurt you much on resale either.     If you have a fender tag, you have the relevant details from the build sheet on there already.   

As to the window sticker, you have all the history back to the dealer.   Have at it. 

Aero426

With regard to build sheets, I will tell you that we have an old saying in the vintage stock car hobby.  And that is, "all replicas become real over time".    It just happens.    The same thing will occur with the well done reproduction build sheets once a number of years and perhaps several changes of ownership.    It will be easy for the lines to become blurred.

hemikev

After reading Tonys Daytona thread ,  You kinda stepped on a kitten ,you bought new ,  you must have pics from years gone by ,when you realised over the years how collectable your car has become , did you ever copy your tag or people ever copy it  ??  did you put in a registry back then .
If you have a b sheet made , your wheels will always will question if options added ,  how corect is your car , bottom line line its been yours all its life ,  your son will be its next caretaker when you go to sleep on the other side of the grass , do as you please ,It is you car , enjoy it ...you hav 1 of the rarest muscles cars on planet earth....congrats

Highbanked Hauler

No big deal, I got it with 6,320 mi on it. Its not a problem I just thought it would be ONE more document to have in the folder. All I got was a bill of sale back in the day as it was just ANOTHER CAR and 500'S weren't worth anything till the early 90S anyway. It had 14"steel wheels and no wheel covers but the rims had bite marks on them from full wheel covers and half worn out F-70 14 Firestone Redline tires.  The Original fender tag is eaten up with rust so if I have that reproed I am in effect doing the same thing aren't I :shruggy:   Peace,gang
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemikev

Back in the day , your right just another car , winter driven ,  mopar never planned on your car being around this far down the road, let alone so collectable,they wanted you back in that dealership in another 5 years ,  many did just that .

rainbow4jd

I think the only solution to this whole build sheet debate thing is to simply reproduce them like rabbits.   Every car should have a reproduction build sheet, which would then render their "perceived" value totally obsolete.   They would be in the same vein as reproduction fenders, hoods, and lights.    No one cares.

At that point - you would simply have two classes of cars - unrestored originals and restorations - with ALL the restorations having the common knowledge that their history as an original was suspect.   That would lead to people really evaluating the overall quality of the restoration for what it was....   a restoration or recreation of a point in time and "how good" a job did you do in restoring the car in terms of body, paint, interior, OE or OE like parts, instead of getting in pissing contests over  "it has the rare farting roadrunner decal option - where it looks like the roadrunner dirt trail is coming out of the roadrunner's butt - my car is worth a million dollars!". 

Right now we apparently have three classes of cars (and each one thinks theirs is the "most valuable").   

1. Unrestored originals
2. Restored to original specs with a build sheet for reference
3. Restored to original specs with no-build sheet for reference

It's the second group looking down on the third group (with a bit of arrogance I think sometimes) that is the heart of this repeated discussion.  They fear that the distinctions between the two classes might some how become muddled in the future and everybody wants to make their car a "1 of 1", by picking some obscure option and saying "the only one known to have four right handed tires , so its a million dollar car!"   

It's played off as "protecting the hobby" - but I think its a bit more personal for them - its trying to protect their own bottomline by creating a "perceived value" out of something worthless - like a Galen Govier inspection (to which I give kudos to Galen for his knowledge and the ability to brand what he does as a financial value).

If everyone had a build sheet - it would be just like the chevy and the fords - body style, engine, tranny - i.e. the VIN TAG ON THE DASH that defines a car's value not the options.

Since they can make perfect counterfeit $100 bills, I think EVERY BUILD SHEET IS A FAKE, and you can't prove to me otherwise.  Just try it, you can't.

So, since I have the only opinion that is meaningful to me, and I am always right - I hereby declare all build sheets worthless fakes - thus, solving this debate once and for all and bringing peace to the internet.

ECS

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

moparstuart

resq302

really curious how that would hold up.  Being not a good solid, clean surface and all.   :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

62 Max

I've been thinking about fixing mine !    :brickwall:

resq302

Might want to send it to Mike Mancini.  After all he did do this to Tony's daytona's fender tag to make it look "new" again:

706pkvert

Re: Tony's Daytona discussion
« Reply #217 on: March 17, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
Considering you are quoting magazine articles and not my actual words, why is the question being directed towards me?

Tony's Daytona had rust through on the rear floor pans only, which were repaired with a clean floor section removed from another charger. This has been stated over and over again.

The fender tag was repaired with a tig welder, JB Weld, Re-inforced fiberglass filler and fill primer. Now you know.

:smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Highbanked Hauler

62 Max  WOW :o :o   I thought mine was bad, half of it is still semi legible compared to yours ::)
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

62 Max

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 26, 2013, 11:31:09 AM
    62 Max  WOW :o :o   I thought mine was bad, half of it is still semi legible compared to yours ::)

Actually that came off of a 70 RT/SE 6pk 4spd Challenger 25yrs ago.kept it as relic. :image_294343:

ECS

Quote from: 62 Max on March 26, 2013, 02:03:18 PM
....... it as relic. :image_294343:

.....but with the correct skills & tools that some possess, it is a VERY good candidate for an undetectable restoration!  :2thumbs:
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

moparstuart

I was the caretaker of this one for a few years untill it made it back to the
original car .  It was all there still but very hard to read some of it .  Alot of it was not readable from the front side .

70Sbird

Quote from: moparstuart on March 26, 2013, 03:21:26 PM
I was the caretaker of this one for a few years untill it made it back to the
original car .  It was all there still but very hard to read some of it .  Alot of it was not readable from the front side .

That was the only way I got all the codes read on my Demon's fender tag. the top was pretty hard to read, I took a digital pic of the back with my phone and reversed it =readable codes!
here are the pics of the front and back (mirror image of back)

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Quote from: 62 Max on March 26, 2013, 07:41:31 AM
I've been thinking about fixing mine !    :brickwall:

Based on what I've seen recently, that's an easy fix !!!   oppppppssssssssssssss  My Bad......................... :brickwall:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

62 Max

Same tag as above many years prior,time takes it's toll ! :icon_smile_sad:

69_500

Al you at least have a good picture of your tag from before it being rusty don't you?