News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

E coat on AMD parts

Started by 66FBCharger, March 27, 2013, 07:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Before I sold my R/T SE in the fall I swapped noses between my R/T (T5) and the R/T SE. The R/T SE had mint factory fenders.
Anyway, my original valance on the R/T was smashed and twisted so I bought an AMD valance. I would like to paint the valance to match the car. Eventually, I will need to restore the car, but for now, I want the car to be one color not multi colored. I brought the valance to a paint store and had them match the paint and put the paint into a spray can.
My question is, how do I prep the e coated AMD valance? Do I need to prime the valance or is the ecoat good enough? Do I scuff the ecoat? If so, should I use a Scotch Brite or sandpaper? What grit? If I need to prime the valance, is there a good primer that comes in a spray can? What brand primer and where can I buy it?
Thanks!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

green69rt

I think the EDP is just that - Primer and is meant to be painted over.  I would guess that the purpose is to protect the metal during shipment and storage.  That being said, I at least scuffed mine up with 200 grit paper and in some cases removed it entirely and reprimed with 2k epoxy primer.   You could probably just shoot a 1k primer over the top if you want after sanding.   I have to say that I have found some of the AMD parts have a bad primer job -- dirt in the surface mostly so you may want to take a close look before you do anything.

This is one 2K primer...
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/spray-max-2k-epoxy-rust-cure-primer-3680032-p-14526.aspx

Charger-Bodie

I usually take the ecoat off if body repair is needed on the panel . If your valance doesnt need any work you should be ok to spray a sealer that has the chemical adhesion to the ecoat then paint.

Make sure you fit the valance to the front end before paint though because it will need fitting.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

elitecustombody

If the part doesn't need any work,scuff with red pad ,shoot sealer and paint

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan