News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mod Top Bird ?

Started by 65post, March 31, 2013, 06:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

65post

Not sure if this has been talked about before but here it is.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

hemikev

wow   what a find if its real  ,,,  never say never  pics are old ,  but funky paint  the top  well  ?????

thehemikid

Yep,....A mod top with the right color combo to the body paint would be Groovy!

hemikev

do you know any histories on the pictures  ..

Aero426

I took the top photo of the blue custom Daytona in 1977 in Ann Arbor Michigan.  I don't remember who owned it.  

The blue Superbird with the floral top was here in Milwaukee Wisconsin.   The owner was a body man and added the top.  It was heavily padded in a pimped out kind of way.  The car later had a tunnel ram intake and scoop.   The nose was leaded as well.    The guys mom also had another Superbird that was painted Petty Blue.  

held1823

the daytona in the first photo is sweet.  it was likely taken at a club meet. wonder why the red daytona in the background is wingless?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Quote from: held1823 on March 31, 2013, 08:24:46 PM
the daytona in the first photo is sweet. it was likely taken at a club meet. wonder why the red daytona in the background is wingless?

1977 National meet in Ann Arbor.  The roll of film with the Daytona was my first experience with a 35mm camera; an old Argus C3 my dad had sitting in the closet.  

The Daytona in the background with no wing is the wrecked hulk that David Patik bought from the GW Pierce Auto Parts yard in Indiana.     It was very rough by the standards of the day.   Today we would restore it no questions asked.

This is me, taken on the same day.   :lol:   We were judging cars.

hemikev

lunchbag let down .  ohh man .very kool tho

Aero426

Here is the wrecked Daytona when it was still in the Pierce Brothers yard. 

hemikev

was it saved from yard   ..

Redbird

Dave Rychwalski's old Superbird. DSAC member #14. I always thought it was a very cool car back in the day. UOA173785 from an old newsletter. His mom had a 6-bbl car. She was DSAC member #15.

Odds are neither of these cars stayed the way they looked in the '70's.

Aero426

Quote from: Redbird on March 31, 2013, 08:45:48 PM
Dave Rychwalski's old Superbird. DSAC member #14. I always thought it was a very cool car back in the day. His mom had a 6-bbl car. She was DSAC member #15.

Wow, you have a great memory!

Here is a pic of Dave with the car in 1976.  It now has the tunnel ram.  

Aero426

This is Dave's mom Pat and her Bird.   This car surfaced out east back in about 2005, still unrestored.   

Redbird

It was in one of the first newsletters your dad sent me.

When I bought my first Superbird I had never seen one before. We saw Paul Phillips car parked by the side of the freeway in Milwaukee when we were driving my car back from the east coast. We stopped to talk to Paul and he gave me your dad's name.

Redbird

In 1976 there was not much being written about winged cars except the DSAC newsletter.

hemikev

would love to see your guys pics from yrs gone by  ,   what an era

talkiemopar

The U-Haul truck also had a Daytona inside of it that Dave found some were. This was my first of many meets. I have only missed two since 1977

65post

I got a pic of a red bird with custom stripes and a chrome tube front bumper.Pic is too big to post. :brickwall:
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

A383Wing

Quote from: 65post on March 31, 2013, 10:52:50 PM
I got a pic of a red bird with custom stripes and a chrome tube front bumper.Pic is too big to post. :brickwall:

Send pic to me and I'll resize it for ya or post it up here

Bryan

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Aero426 on March 31, 2013, 08:26:26 PM
This is me, taken on the same day.   :lol:   

You're Napoleon Dynamite?

Aero426

I don't think I could ever live up to being as cool as Napoleon.     :rofl:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on April 01, 2013, 08:43:56 AM
I don't think I could ever live up to being as cool as Napoleon.     :rofl:

Well, when you're behind the wheel of that Hemi 'Bird, yes you are !!!!   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

pettybird

69 DAYTONA

...I live just a few miles from Pierces, don't remember a red Daytona in the area...wonder where is was from

Aero426

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on April 07, 2013, 09:09:54 PM
...I live just a few miles from Pierces, don't remember a red Daytona in the area...wonder where is was from

Isn't there more than one Pierce yard?

held1823

their corporate office/main yard at lewisville was the one nearest to us, but i'm pretty sure this car was in their anderson yard at some point in time.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053