News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 Superbee .....No Brake Lights

Started by Simonic, August 17, 2017, 06:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simonic

On a run back from a recent showa friend travelling behind me mentioned that my brake lights were not working.
They were working a couple of months ago when I had my yearly inspection(MOT test here in the UK)
I had a look at the brake light switch under the dash and the plunger switch next to the brake pedal was connected and had power to it.The plunger operated ok.
At the side of the switch I noticed a male spade connector which was not connected to anything,i wondered if this could be the earth to complete the circuit and as I couldn't see a 'stray' wire which had become disconnected I ran a new wire from the male spade and earthed it to the steering column which was the nearest potential earth I could see.
Now when I operate the brake lights the 20A fuse blows in the fuse box.

So,Gentlemen,What am I missing ?
I should mention that all other lights work ok.

Thank You
Mopar owner in the UK..

charger Downunder

If the fuse wasn't blown in the first place take that connection off that you just put on.
Do the brake lights come on when the lights are on. If no rear tail lights i would say get in the boot/trunk and look in there for an earth wire off or bad wiring.
[/quote]

Simonic

Thank You for getting in touch.
I have removed the 'new' wire and changed the fuse.
The rear tail lights and indicators work fine and they are bright, so this would say the earth at the back is ok. Would you agree ?
Mopar owner in the UK..

Nacho-RT74

If you are getting turning lights ( both sides ) , brake lights wiring is good from column up to rear tail lights, since they share the same wiring and bulbs between those two points

Of you lost brake lights due the blown fuse, you are missing also hazzards, and can't recall what else!

The power route to brakes goes like this:

Fuse, pink wire up to brake light pedal switch, becomes white from there up to turning switch, becomes dark green and brown from turning switch up to both sides on tail lights.

Once I got a white wire failure/missconection at turning switch plug what made miss the brake lights several times, mostly sure wire broken inside the cover at the end of terminal. I could fix it, but since I had to change the turning switch anyway because a worn horn switch contact roller ( and I had one NOS in hands ), I simply replaced it and done. Still have the "damaged" switch around since can be easily fixed.

If you don't know what is a wire for NEVER EVER get it grounded to anything! 80% of wiring on our cars drives positive!

Whats the color of the wire hanging around? A pic will be helpfull. I can't recall any male terminal hanging around on 3rd gen underdash harnesses. Usually males are to get power, not to provide power, but sometimes not!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

And yes, ground should be good on tails if rest of tail lights are working nice on tail lights
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

71charger_fan

I once lost brake lights when my trunk light wire chafed and shorted. The four-way connector is under the trunk mat on the driver side. You can use a multi-tester to verify the voltage signal is coming through.

Simonic

Thank You Gentlemen.
Here's a pic of the switch at the brake pedal with the male connector I mentioned
Mopar owner in the UK..

72Charger72

Once yrs ago I had a similar issue...it turned out it was a bad high beam switch on the floor.

Simonic

Quote from: 72Charger72 on August 17, 2017, 09:49:21 AM
Once yrs ago I had a similar issue...it turned out it was a bad high beam switch on the floor.

A bad hi beam switch stopped the brake lights working ?
Mopar owner in the UK..

72Charger72

yes it was strange but traced all wires with a test light. Had headlights blinkers but no brakes.
Finally someone gave me an Electrical schematic and I traced it to a bad/shorted high beam switch..Go Figure maybe just was grounding out....13.00 back then.  :shruggy:

Simonic

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 17, 2017, 07:27:39 AM
, becomes white from there up to turning switch,

From the pic I have shown,should the male spade have the white wire attached and it's simply come off and I've not had my head upsidedown under the dash in the right place to see it yet? I'll have a look. Thank You Sir
Mopar owner in the UK..

Simonic

Quote from: 72Charger72 on August 17, 2017, 12:01:57 PM
yes it was strange but traced all wires with a test light. Had headlights blinkers but no brakes.
Finally someone gave me an Electrical schematic and I traced it to a bad/shorted high beam switch..Go Figure maybe just was grounding out....13.00 back then.  :shruggy:

Actually I have had an issue with the dipswitch. I'll check it out
Thank You Sir
Mopar owner in the UK..

72Charger72

Quote from: Simonic on August 17, 2017, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 17, 2017, 07:27:39 AM
, becomes white from there up to turning switch,

From the pic I have shown,should the male spade have the white wire attached and it's simply come off and I've not had my head upsidedown under the dash in the right place to see it yet? I'll have a look. Thank You Sir
Looks like you dropped a wire there should be 2 connected to the switch. Its been awhile but I believe one pink or red and one white. They should be the only two around that area.

Simonic

Sorted.
The white wire had come astray and hidden it's self behind the column.

Thank You gentlemen for all your input
Mopar owner in the UK..

Nacho-RT74

Easy fix LOL.

When you grounded that terminal, got a short after press the brake pedal. Pink wire is positive.

The white wire hanging around is the one what gets the brake pedal switch output to feed the rear lights to brake function through the turning switch

Simonic

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 17, 2017, 01:04:56 PM
Easy fix LOL.

When you grounded that terminal, got a short after press the brake pedal. Pink wire is positive.

The white wire hanging around is the one what gets the brake pedal switch output to feed the rear lights to brake function through the turning switch

Yes! :2thumbs: Thanks for your help ! :cheers:
Mopar owner in the UK..