News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any plumbers? Man, I've been snaking my wifes drain all morning........

Started by skip68, April 04, 2013, 02:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Any plumbers out there?   Tell me if this is right.   The drain from the kitchen sink goes into a 2" pipe, runs along the house ( underground of course), around the corner and then ties into the 3" sewer line from the master bath.   

Question........is 2" the correct size?   It's plugged a few times so I put in some cleanouts to help make it easier to snake.   

Thanks.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RECHRGD

Yea, two inch would be the right size.  As long as there are no tight elbows in the line it should work.  But, like Stu said, ask Mrs. skip what she's putting down the drain.......
13.53 @ 105.32

A383Wing

b5blue

skip68

I think I've got a venting problem.   There's no vent through the roof so maybe it's in the wall or no vent at all.     :scratchchin:    I've got the pipe cleared and water is flowing good but I keep hearing a gurgling sound from the sink.  It's like air bubbles.     :shruggy:   I'm really leaning towards a venting issue.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

b5blue

Check for a (sp?) "Studer vent" it's a small kinda dome fitting on a short riser, it has a flap inside that vents the line so fluids can flow and not create a vacuum when they do. It only lets air in not vapors out if it's working. They can clog shut from overload and should be serviced or replaced regularly.  :scratchchin:

A6USMC

This maybe way off base, but I kinda remember my grandmother saying, dump baking soda down the drain and then pour vinegar on it???? worth a try???????

areibel

Quote from: b5blue on April 04, 2013, 05:55:39 PM
Check for a (sp?) "Studer vent" it's a small kinda dome fitting on a short riser, it has a flap inside that vents the line so fluids can flow and not create a vacuum when they do. It only lets air in not vapors out if it's working. They can clog shut from overload and should be serviced or replaced regularly.  :scratchchin:
:iagree:
Depending on when your house was built, you either need one or need to fix the one you have.  Is it plastic pipe?  That would be the easiest, but with Fernco fittings (the kind that looks like a black rubber tube with hose clamps on it) it wouldn't be hard to cut one in.

NHCharger

Below is a description of how a studor vent works. We use them occasional on office build outs for a kitchen sink but the inspectors don't like them. You usually use a studor vent for a single fixture, not an entire house.
Do you have access to your attic? When building a new house you are required to do a pressure test on all the plumbing, (waste and feed piping). That means the plumber has to block every drain AND the stack pipe and put a pressure gauge on the pipe with 10 pounds of air in the waste pipes and show that it holds for an hour. I have seen plumbers forget to remove the cap off the stack pipe.

A Studor vent is simply a valve that allows air into drainpipes when suction is present. The vent closes when the suction disappears to prevent foul odors from coming back into the building. Often, when a bathtub, shower or washing machine is bubbling or gurgling, either a Studor vent needs to be installed or an existing vent is locked in the open position.

Read more: How to Use Studor Vents | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6101136_use-studor-vents.html#ixzz2PYACKc3z
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

skip68

The house was built in 1986.   Thanks for all the input guys.  That studor vent sounds like the issue.  I'm going to open the wall tomorrow.    :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

mrsskip68

b5blue

Studer should A: be in plain sight inside a cabinet or B: have a cover panel if inside a wall. (Per code.)  :scratchchin:

NHCharger

Quote from: b5blue on April 05, 2013, 05:29:12 AM
Studer should A: be in plain sight inside a cabinet or B: have a cover panel if inside a wall. (Per code.)  :scratchchin:

:iagree:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bakerhillpins

Quote from: b5blue on April 05, 2013, 05:29:12 AM

:rofl: :rofl:   per code. That's a good one.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

74bluecharger440

How often does it plug up??  If its only once a year or so I wouldn't  install a cheater vent.Your plumbing codes are different there and I believe the pipe you use is PVC  ( white) not ABS  (black).. I have a tool in my van that shoots compressed air into the drain usually very effective. The pipe has to  be full of water to work and you have to be carefull to not blow the pipe apart. I know that ABS pipe and glue are very strong and thick walled so it usually holds up..Its when I get into the older homes that I usually go with the snake. The can of compressed air that you buy at the hardware store is junk not enough pressure. Anyway just an other option, a vent installed within 5 ft of the P-trap would be the correct fix and running it to the attic and tying to other vents or through the roof on its own. but you have to change the vent to 3 inch  before it goes out,.

Todd Wilson

skip68

Well, where the pipe goes into the wall it has a ABS 90° turn going down.   Looks like it's been replaced a few years ago since the wall has been opened before and it doesn't look old.    NO VENT.  So, I'm thinking I need to vent this so it flows better and stops the vacuum effect that is contributing to causing it to plug.   
    It sucks because space is limited.  Not much room to work under there.   Guess I'll just have to open the wall above the counter. 
:brickwall:

b5blue

Ponch ®

Quote from: skip68 on April 04, 2013, 02:54:42 PM
Any plumbers out there?   Tell me if this is right.   The drain from the kitchen sink goes into a 2" pipe, runs along the house ( underground of course), around the corner and then ties into the 3" sewer line from the master bath.   

Question........is 2" the correct size?   It's plugged a few times so I put in some cleanouts to help make it easier to snake.   

Thanks.   

well, that's the problem...you ain't gonna get the job with a 2" pipe. also make sure you put the snake in the right drain...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

skip68

I've got a window about 15" above the sink so I'll just go straight up as high as possible.    
I presume Home Depot has those vents?    
Thanks again gents.  

skip68

projectanimal

northwest CT

JB400

Take the sink out or ban the wife from that bathroom.  Problem solved :2thumbs:

74bluecharger440

mrsskip68

71ChallengeHer

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."