News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Initial timming help

Started by charger_72_318, February 18, 2006, 06:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_72_318

Hi, I've been busy working on the charger, after a general overhauling, I've finally finished almost everything, but i don't know the original position of the distributor, cause i took it out, bought a new cap, but didn't mark the original position so I'm not sure. is there some old post about this topic?, by the way is 318, i wonder if anyone can post some pictures pleaseĀ  :icon_smile_sleepy: this is the last remaining issue for the charger before it jumps back on the road again, but i'm not sure if i'm placing it 180 degrees wrong so i'm completly lostĀ  ;D ;D ;D

72 Charger hardtop tranny, carb and intake swap
92 Spirit DOHC Gone

firefighter3931

Charger 72 :

(1) bring the engine to tdc. The timing mark on the balancer will be at zero. You can check this by placing your finger over the #1 sparkplug hole and when you feel pressure that means it's on the compression stroke.

(2) Drop the distributor in and look at the rotor to see which tower it is pointing to on the distributor cap. That will be #1 in the firing order. Connect that wire to #1 plug.

(3) Use the firing order and connect the rest of the plugs. The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and the distributor rotation on a smallblock is clockwise (Right rotation = clockwise)

(4) You're ready to fire the engine now. Drop a little gas in the carb and have a helper turn the ignition over. You might have to move the distributor around slighty to get it to fire then once it does get your timing light on it and set the timing.

Good luck and have fun.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger_72_318

thanks a lot Ron  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: , i'll do that today....
:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

72 Charger hardtop tranny, carb and intake swap
92 Spirit DOHC Gone