News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Second thoughts about selling my C500

Started by ws23rt, April 07, 2013, 06:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

I am rather new here and am because I was researching the hobby to get updated on the market. I decided to sell my Charger 500 to free up some room and move on with other projects.
However after reading many of these posts I am thinking about sellers remorse. I have had many cars in the passed that I wish I had never parted with and if this one goes I may want a do over.
  To have a large space, money, and time would fix that. However that is not my case. I am enjoying my Charger more now because of you folks. Your enthusiasm is infectious and is bringing back how I felt when I bought this car. There is a list of to do things for this car. I think I am back.

A383Wing

Glad we could be of service...that's what we're here for

Bryan

resq302

Ive had those periods where I have toyed with the idea of selling it only to come to the conclusion that once I start driving it again and working on it, the thought vanishes from my head since it is such a pleasure to drive and work on something so simple (compared to todays cars).

Remember, this is like on giant family who (for the most part) tries to help each other out and get their car back on the road.  Glad to have you around and I am sure you would have regretted selling the C500!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Scaregrabber

I've sold a lot of neat cars over the years. Generally I find it is a lot harder to replace them than it was say 20 years ago. I don't regret selling cars that had a bunch of metal replaced and pieced together running gear. I do miss cars that had their original sheetmetal and all their original mechanical bits as well.

Sheldon

hemi68charger

Quote from: resq302 on April 07, 2013, 06:26:56 PM
Remember, this is like on giant family who (for the most part) tries to help each other out and get their car back on the road.  Glad to have you around and I am sure you would have regretted selling the C500!

I teared up when "Dana" left..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Highbanked Hauler

If you said, I missed it,  How is your 500 equipped, just curious as I have owned mine which was the dealers demo since new. :icon_smile_approve:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on April 07, 2013, 06:18:14 PM
Glad we could be of service...that's what we're here for

Bryan

Yes, that is good news.  Enjoy the hell out of it!  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

69_500

If it was me, I would keep the 500 you have. Great color, and it has air.

tan top

Quote from: ws23rt on April 07, 2013, 06:11:34 PM
I am rather new here and am because I was researching the hobby to get updated on the market. I decided to sell my Charger 500 to free up some room and move on with other projects.
However after reading many of these posts I am thinking about sellers remorse. I have had many cars in the passed that I wish I had never parted with and if this one goes I may want a do over.
  To have a large space, money, and time would fix that. However that is not my case. I am enjoying my Charger more now because of you folks. Your enthusiasm is infectious and is bringing back how I felt when I bought this car. There is a list of to do things for this car. I think I am back.

good choice !! my self think selling a C500 would be crazy , :yesnod:

would love to see pictures sometime  :yesnod:  what the jobs you got to do / plans etc  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ws23rt

I have an add posted on hemmings on line. There are pictures there. It is a ten ft. driver. I bought when it was about 12 years old. A couple of small rust areas to patch, replace fuel gauge sending unit. A return spring for parking brake lever. Those sort of things. The trans case is the only vin area that does not match. I have the eng. block sep. from the car. due to poor judgment when I rebuilt the car.

JB400

Glad to hear you changed your mind.  Not so many can say the same.  Luckily, I haven't had to be put in that situation, and hope I never have too. :2thumbs:

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: ws23rt on April 08, 2013, 10:37:38 PM
I have an add posted on hemmings on line. There are pictures there. It is a ten ft. driver. I bought when it was about 12 years old. A couple of small rust areas to patch, replace fuel gauge sending unit. A return spring for parking brake lever. Those sort of things. The trans case is the only vin area that does not match. I have the eng. block sep. from the car. due to poor judgment when I rebuilt the car.

So that is the B5 440 AC on Hemmings?

:coocoo:  Had from age 12...  at that point from my perspective that is a family member of sorts.   That has been one of my favorite aspects I have enjoyed, enjoying a car over the years. Enjoy and position to gift it to one of your kids someday, assuming you have kids.  If you have really owned it that long your cost basis is very low......... is it really eating anything?  

Not to derail the tread, others opinions hear clearly differ, but I would look into the IRS's "hobby loss" rule.., a long owned car's value from 20plus yrs will have a bunch of gains possibly (what you really ended with after taxes?).  In my case, I trust my acct and my wife's financial knowledge base and skill set, as much as I did not like it....   Worth clearly understanding IMO before you sell it.    :Twocents:

ws23rt

Yes it is the one on hemmings. I thank you for the tip about looking to the hobby loss rule. First I heard of it. That has been on my mind a lot. hundreds of hours of labor that IRS ignores as having any value. Parts searching, tools, supplies, Who keeps the kind of detail records they require for cost basis. Ok I'm done whining about that for a while.

472 R/T SE

472 R/T SE

Hillbillyboro huh?  I'm up here across the river in the 'Couve.

I've never seen your ride around, too bad, would love to see it.  It's amazing how a ride so unique can be less than 30 miles away & you've never seen it.  We've been out here since around '92.

Our club meets the 1st Tuesday of every month @ the Pizza Baron.  We're a pretty small club, really laid back.  My signature shows what my rides' are.

ws23rt

That's what happens when the cars need to stay out of the weather. And 2500 mi. in twenty five years is not much driving around. Look forward to meeting.