News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

master cylinder and prop. valve question

Started by cougs, April 16, 2013, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cougs

All,
I've searched the archives but can't find the answer.  I'm adding disc brakes to the front of my charger.  My car is a four drum/manual car.  I will keep the manual brakes.  I'm all set for discs, pistons, etc.  I'm picking up a Cardone 10-1404 disc brake master cylinder.  Do I simply replace the manual drum cylinder with this?

I also need a proportioning valve.  Where can I easily pick one up that will be plug and play?  I see the wilwood/mopar performance piece for $87.95.  Is that what I need or can I get away with something less expensive?
1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!

Hard Charger

you will need a new MC for a drum/disc set up than what your drum/drum set up had.

go to Pirate Jacks.com and it is explained. will need a new block also. they have all the parts if you want them.

cougs

The cardone 10-1404 is for disc brakes bu can i mount it right up?   Do I need a dist block or just a prop valve? 

Hard Charger

when i replaced my drums up front i bought a complete kit that included a new block. the block was physically a differant size and shape and included a metering block.
i also converted to power brakes.
i have read conflicting information on this forum about replacing the block or not, and it appears that many people who have made this conversion did not change there block and had no problem with there brakes.

resq302

The block is the same for disc and drums from 1966-1970.  The difference is the metering block / hold off valve that disc brake cars have  that is in the line between the distribution block and the rear brake line.  Without this, in a panic stop, the back brakes would lock up first causing a possible skid and loss of control of the car.  When my hold off valve was out for rebuild, (don't use Apple Hydraulics!) I just put a jumper piece of brake line in there and found out exactly why the factory designed the hold off valve in there.  Back brakes locked up really quick and the back end of the car started sliding around.  Im sure it looked cool as hell but also scared the hell out of me at the same time!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

I did a similar swap on my '68. 4-wheel manual drums originally, then converted to manual front disc.
The main proportioning valve can stay. You need to add this hold-off valve in just after it to the front/rear main line:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-Mopar-B-body-Disc-Brake-Brass-Rear-Line-Hold-Off-Non-Adjustable-Valve-/200912224376?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec74d4078&vxp=mtr

Install a disc/drum manual M/C.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cougs

resq302

Be very careful of the repop ones that have the INL  stamped into them.  They are made by In Line Tube company and have had major issues with it.  Mine ended up turning into a one way valve and causing my rear brakes to be come locked up as it would not relieve the pressure back to the master cylinder.  I ended up having to find an original and got that rebuilt.  Maybe the newer ones have had the issue resolved but I would still be leary. :icon_smile_blackeye:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Hard Charger

Quote from: resq302 on April 17, 2013, 07:36:56 AM
The block is the same for disc and drums from 1966-1970.  The difference is the metering block / hold off valve that disc brake cars have  that is in the line between the distribution block and the rear brake line.  Without this, in a panic stop, the back brakes would lock up first causing a possible skid and loss of control of the car.  When my hold off valve was out for rebuild, (don't use Apple Hydraulics!) I just put a jumper piece of brake line in there and found out exactly why the factory designed the hold off valve in there.  Back brakes locked up really quick and the back end of the car started sliding around.  Im sure it looked cool as hell but also scared the hell out of me at the same time!
the diagram i have is calling for the "metering" block for the front brakes and a "prop." (or hold off) valve was pictured for the rear brakes on the earlier production blocks but is now not necessary (newer design).
your response would be the case on a stock system not a conversion with newer parts.

cougs

I'm using new, but stock-style parts.  The hold-off valve should be enough, right?

Still looking for feedback on the right manual M/C for this setup.  Thanks!

resq302

That master cyl looks very similar to the one I have on my charger with factory disc brakes.  Just a heads up though, A1Cardone rebuilds are a hit or miss kind of rebuild.  You might be lucky, you might not be and have to send it out to some other place to get rebuilt professionally.
Brian

cougs

resq302

his first post he said he had 4 drum manual brakes.
Brian

cougs

resq302, I was asking you if you had manual or power brakes.  You said the master cylinder looks similar. 

resq302

My car was a factory equipped power disc brake car.   :2thumbs:
Brian