News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinions on Goodmark Quarter Skins?

Started by Monziac, April 09, 2013, 07:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monziac

I know AMD is the best, but does anyone have opinions on the Goodmark skins? I am not doing a concourse resto, just a nice driver.

Thanks,
Jon

Indygenerallee

The bodylines arent so great on some of the Goodmark panels, I put a set on a Challenger and I was not happy with the bodylines but this was before AMD. plus the AMD panels are thicker metal.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

charger_fan_4ever

Lines on the AMD's leave alot to be desired.

Depending on how bad your originals are I would buy a full 1/4 and cut out the sections you need for patches.

In my case I had no option my sail panel area,top skin and over the wheel even was all rotten. Figured even with small rot issues it would be quicker and a better job to change the whole 1/4. Not the case.

After all the fittment issues are overwith your left with wavy panels and bad lines, so you still need to give the (in my case) $2000 1/4's a coat of mud front to back and block it BEFORE you can even start applying high build primer and start blocking.

Indygenerallee

QuoteLines on the AMD's leave alot to be desired.
I have a set of full quarters for my 69 and yes, they are shit but compared to the Goodmark ones still alot better.

Mike DC

What good are decent body lines if the entire panel is shaped half an inch wrong in multiple places?   

The Goodmark quarter skins are shit.  Fixing bad body lines on the AMD panels is a minor problem in comparison. 

Finn

When I put 1/4s on my charger AMD didn't make them, so I used goodmark. Not only did I over pay for them being young and stupid, when I went to put them on I realized how screwed I really was. They were awful. Unless you have a shrinker/puller and a lot of time to put into making them work, Id go AMD. I bought a full fender from them and it was excellent.

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Indygenerallee

Yes my fenders from AMD were perfect I will give them that! Quarters I was not real happy with but as I stated before much better than Goodmark.

Monziac

Thanks guys, so yes on Goodmark :icon_smile_big: Just Kidding....

Jon

Charger-Bodie

The goodmark panels are fine if you need both lower patch panels, but they are horid if installing the entire skin.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Monziac

Wow, I just got my AMD skins and what a piece of crap..... Cant wait to start bondo on this... Metal guage is nice, but wavy as hell and I could have drawn better body lines drunk with an air chisel. This should be fun!

Finn

Mind posting some pics? I'd be curious to compare them to the goodmarks.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Patronus

Weird how the quarters on the Charger from AMD needed so much work. These Ebody ones fit so well you dont even need to weld em..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Ryan

Quote from: Monziac on June 24, 2013, 08:47:15 AM
Wow, I just got my AMD skins and what a piece of crap..... Cant wait to start bondo on this... Metal guage is nice, but wavy as hell and I could have drawn better body lines drunk with an air chisel. This should be fun!

They typically are a little wavy but the way you describe them sounds worse then they usually are. Try calling AMD before you get to far into it. They may send you another set.

Quote from: Patronus on June 25, 2013, 10:23:03 PM
Weird how the quarters on the Charger from AMD needed so much work. These Ebody ones fit so well you dont even need to weld em..

Ya it's rediculous how well the e-body cuda quarters fit compared to the charger quarters. It's really to bad that they are capable of making some seriously good stuff but the quality is just not consistent across the board.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Monziac

I will post pics when I get home, but very dissapointed considering how expensive they are. Goodmark quarters were straighter but not as sharp, nor as heavy guage steel, but I venture to say would have been less work. I order my parts through a local body shop to avoid shipping charges so I would have to go through them.
Thanks,
Jon

green69rt

It seems that the parts I have bought thru AMD vary some in fitup.  Some went in with almost no work, such as my quarters and wheel wells, some were a bugger (front floor), some had a poor finish (my front frame rails had a layer of dirt under the EDP!!)  Seems like their quality control is hit-or-miss.    Also I would guess that some of their parts are cloned off of parts they have borrowed from old cars rather than built from drawings and specs.  If so then the new parts depend on the old parts being straight and true.   As for having straight panels with no waves it seems that with todays technology the that should be a given!!   :Twocents:

Still, for a  lot of parts they are the only source so we have to take what they give and complain...

Ryan

Quote from: Monziac on June 26, 2013, 08:07:46 AM
I will post pics when I get home, but very dissapointed considering how expensive they are. Goodmark quarters were straighter but not as sharp, nor as heavy guage steel, but I venture to say would have been less work. I order my parts through a local body shop to avoid shipping charges so I would have to go through them.
Thanks,
Jon

I almost always purchase AMD from other vendors, I still deal with AMD directly when I have an issue with the product. Never had a problem with them taking care of it providing there was something they could do. My passenger side full quarter seemed wavy compared to my drivers side so I called them, they sent me a new one for free. The new one was a little better but still had its flaws.
That being said I'd rather have a thicker gauge panel on my car with a little mud on it then a thin gauge panel like the goodmark quarters.

2014 viper TA

Monziac

Thats good to know Ryan, this is my first time dealing with them, and also my first Mopar.  Generally as a company gets your money they dissapear, so anymore I dont even get my pulse raised because I know how it is gonna end.  Capturing the wavy in the panel is hard to see, but look at the body line how it goes up and down, and there is a blue X in back where the whole back is pressed inward.  Its obviously all fixable, but the reason I am replacing the quarter is because it is damaged not because I want to start hitting it with shrinking hammers and dollies and applying filler over the whole panel to get it straight.  I will call them and see what they have to say. 

Thanks,
Jon

Monziac

I just called AMD and they said this is a phenomenon they have been seeing and that they think the tool is screwed up.  They said it is only on the right side, but confirmed they are having a quality issue on the panels.  He is gonna look around for a better panel for me.  I have to say, I didn't expect such a warm welcome when it came to complaining about their quality.  Then again, I wasn't a jerk about it either....   :2thumbs:  I will let you knwo how it turns out, but you may want to post a thread out in the forum so people know the quality issue they are having.  I am the new guy.... Nobody trust the new guy when he is complaining.   Ha! 

Thanks,
Jon

Mike DC

That's impressive that they will admit to a screwy tool.  Most companies will swear it's anything other than a defect rooted in the tooling or production method, even if it means claiming the same temporary problem for 20 years (Legendary interiors). 

Monziac

I agree, I was surprised at his honesty, but appreciated it. He is sending me another quarter but said he couldn't find one without flaws. I told him just to find the best one he can. At least they are trying.
Jon

Patronus

I too had a heck of a time with the right Charger quarter. Pretty bad rear of the wheel opening to the marker hole.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Monziac

New panel showed up, and its as bad as the first. I see on their website, the panels are now "out of stock".  It did have a "made in taiwan" sticker on it, so I was dissapointed in that.....

Jon

Indygenerallee

Mine looked the same way, The fitment is great just alot of waves, it's gonna take hours upon hours of repeated blocking to get these things mirror straight  :rotz:

Monziac

I would almost prefer to buy a rotten quarter, repair it and put it on...... This is pathetic. Cant believe they are selling this, and at a premium..

Mike DC

QuoteI would almost prefer to buy a rotten quarter, repair it and put it on...... This is pathetic. Cant believe they are selling this, and at a premium..

I'll send you a rotten used quarter panel in exchange for your wavy AMD one.  Deal? 

The same panel made in the USA would cost a couple thousand dollars each.  Classic Body Designs produced it a few years ago.  The public voted with their wallets.  People didn't like spending $4-5k just for a set of good quarters.

Monziac

My point is they advertise superior quality and it is not. It would require the same work if not more to repair this "quality" panel that to patch oem metal. If it wasn't for my dented panel, I would probably do that. From what I understand, these used to be very nice. They should either fix the tool or price them accordingly.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Monziac on July 02, 2013, 12:34:04 PM
My point is they advertise superior quality and it is not. It would require the same work if not more to repair this "quality" panel that to patch oem metal. If it wasn't for my dented panel, I would probably do that. From what I understand, these used to be very nice. They should either fix the tool or price them accordingly.

I bought my 70 1/4s from amd soon after they came to market $1900 up here in canada and the body line is a joke all over the place and waves.

My original 1/4 was rotten on the topside,sail panels,infront and behind even over top of the wheel. I had no choice, but if a car just needs patches buy the amd 1/2 quarters and cut out the parts you need.

Monziac

Thats what I did on the driver side but the pass side was hit hard at some point, so like you I had little choice.  Normally I can't wait to cut out the rot and get a new panel on, but this is just sitting in the corner because I cant get excited about all the filler its gonna take.

charger_fan_4ever

More AMD surprises. I notified them of this after we got the skin on.

Not a huge deal, but having to hammer/dolly/putty a new $300 skin does not make sense.

Mike DC

Yeah that door problem with the '70 scoops was first identified a few years ago.  

There's probably not enough people combining AMD door skins with 1970 scoops to bring much light on the issue.

Dino

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I have seen numerous posts on different websites where people complain their AMD part is made in Taiwan but aren't they all?  Like you said Mike, nobody wants to spend $5K on a skin.

That quarter is ridiculous, I was a professional body man for a long time and that crap would go back without hesitation.  If that's all you can have then they really need to slash the price.  How bad is the stock quarter?  When I restore mine I'll make my own panels but I only need the lower part.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Monziac

The Taiwan thing just dissapointed me some because I worked very hard to keep my company American. I understand how it goes though.... My quarter was not salvageable, but I would gladly take a oem with rusted out bottoms over this piece, but its not like they are in every junk yard.... $350 plus the ride is about $500 for a wavy quarter.  That chaps my ass....  Oh well, better pick up another gallon of Rage!  I marked the cuts today. I will feel better when this is behind me.

Dino

Know anyone with metal skills?  A shrinker would be better than mudding it.  You can gently push the crease back going side to side real slow.  A good wide screwdriver works well if you can lock the quarter down somehow.  I wouldn't start hammering on it unless you have a plan though.   :icon_smile_big:

The days of Made in the USA are sadly over.  We can all complain about Chinese junk but it's our companies ordering the junk and they will not move production here becasue we are not willing to pay that much more.

I honestly don't care where something is made but I do expect to get my money's worth and those quarters do not fall in that category. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Patronus

Why don't you send it back. Get your money back, and then start shaping your new hand-made quarter? ...Or, you could beat on it, tape it out straight, add the filler you were going to have to add anyway and then block it for the next 3 months like everyone else here? I'm not trying to be an ass, just sayin'... if it were easy chicks would do it.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 02, 2013, 10:30:06 AM
QuoteI would almost prefer to buy a rotten quarter, repair it and put it on...... This is pathetic. Cant believe they are selling this, and at a premium..

I'll send you a rotten used quarter panel in exchange for your wavy AMD one.  Deal? 

The same panel made in the USA would cost a couple thousand dollars each.  Classic Body Designs produced it a few years ago.  The public voted with their wallets.  People didn't like spending $4-5k just for a set of good quarters.

You get what you pay for, Buy Cheap Taiwan or buy the better Quality more espensive USA part. I remember in late 80's & 90's having to deal with Sherman & Associates. Then Trojan aftermarket :brickwall: LEON.

charger_fan_4ever

It is somewhat disappointing witht he waves and all, but i couldn't have restored it if we were back int he days of 1 set of NOS 1/4's appearing once a yea ron ebay for $2-3000 a side.

Like lots have said its something to work with. :Twocents:

Ryan

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on July 04, 2013, 11:38:02 AM
It is somewhat disappointing witht he waves and all, but i couldn't have restored it if we were back int he days of 1 set of NOS 1/4's appearing once a yea ron ebay for $2-3000 a side.

Like lots have said its something to work with. :Twocents:

ya good point. It does suck that the new quarters aren't laser straight and that they need plenty of modifying to make them fit perfectly however they are workable and have saved plenty of chargers that otherwise would not be savable.

2014 viper TA

bill440rt

I used a passenger side skin from Auto Body Specialties on my '69, this was just before the AMD's came out. I retained all the factory body openings though, & trimmed the quarter to fit. Also installed it just below the top body line.
After trimming the skin it was just a large patch panel. I honestly didn't think it was too bad to work with. A few days of blocking and all was good. Filler was kept thin.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

green69rt

All this talk of bad quarters got me worried so went out and looked at mine.  I bought them about 3 years ago.  They seem straighter than some discussed here.  Still need some filler for the wavy parts but fairly straight.  Also they are just skins, not full quarters although that should not make any diff.

bill440rt

I thought they were fine too after a bit of filling the seams and some blocking.
Granted, they are not factory pieces but did the job for me. I've never worked with AMD full quarters yet so I have nothing to compare them to.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger_fan_4ever

Both of my 70 AMD 1/4's with passengers side being the worst you can see the middle body line is all over the place. Worse from behind the wheel to the side marker.

Patronus

I believe skins are formed larger to fit over the original metal.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

green69rt

Quote from: Patronus on July 04, 2013, 10:18:20 PM
AMD told me the skins are made on the same tools as the full quarters but without the sail panel section. :shruggy:

green69rt

AMD told me the skins are made on the same tools as the full quarters but without the sail panel section. :shruggy:
Remember mine were made at least three years ago, things change...

Patronus

Perhaps "were" would have been better.. I have to agree, that quarter does look pretty bad, and I would be pretty upset after spending my hard-earned coin too. You have every right to be pissed, but nowadays you're just going to have to fix it. Hell, I sliced open the top of one 4" to fit the door better. Plus the rear window corners had to be reworked..  :scratchchin:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bill440rt

Your belief might be very well correct, especially on the Auto Body Specialties skins.
The outer lines are oversize, and the door opening is horrible. But, if you cut that all off & retain the original openings & use it as a patch panel the fitment is very decent.

hemi-hampton

Here's a pretty wavy one I had to straighten. Lots of Bondo. LEON.

Patronus

Call me sick but I absolutely love seeing the body come straight. Walking up to a 40 year old car with a block and some 80 grit is like scratching an old itch. I like to see the lows come out in the different coats almost like grain in wood.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Monziac

Well, quarter is on. I used a chalk line to help me de ide which part of the body line I was adjusting to. It fit well, and I worked out a lot of the waves, but the lines will only get straight with filler. I will get oadt this and regain momentum.  :cheers:
Thanks,
Jon