News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What cam is this?

Started by lexxman, April 14, 2013, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxman

I'm getting ready to start rebuilding my 383.I want to reuse the cam that was in it ,(its still in good shape no alot of wear.) I measured it and the lobes and I got 1.56 by 1.26. there are no markings on it that I can see,but there is some purple paint near the drive gear. I should have my parts order next week. :2thumbs:

justcruisin

Not a lot of info but it is probably the mopar purple shaft 4452783, 268/284 duration,.450/.458 lift. Presuming hydraulic.

lexxman

Yes they are hydraulic. So would that be a stock or above stock cam? I don't know alot about cams,would a stock value spring be ok with that? I have 906 heads.

XH29N0G

Unless I am mistaken, a .450 lift intake cam was used in hi perf 383 in the late 1960's and early 1970's.  I take it that the .450 number is your 0.30 x 1.5 for the rocker arm ratio. 

I would wait to see what others say who know more, but my guess is you are fine with stock springs and this cam.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

lexxman

A lot of this is new to me,I haven't played around mush with cam before.I've got a couple of mopar engine book ,so I'll be doing some reading.

firefighter3931

Based on the posted lobe dimensions it's probably the BB resto cam....not a bad choice but there are much better !  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

lexxman

My big question now would be will stock value spring work?Right now I'm working with what I have,things may get upgraded down the road. I just got my parts order to do the rebuild,so now the fun can start.

firefighter3931

Quote from: lexxman on April 18, 2013, 06:35:46 PM
My big question now would be will stock value spring work?Right now I'm working with what I have,things may get upgraded down the road. I just got my parts order to do the rebuild,so now the fun can start.

As long as the valvesprings are in good condition you should be fine. With that cam i would want to see 120lbs seat pressure and 300lbs open to keep the valvetrain stable.  :yesnod:

Have the spring pressures checked  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

lexxman

I will check the springs,I will keep you all updated. What should it cost to get the cam bearings changed? I have the new ones,the old ones were not a lined with the oiling holes in the block quite right I tried to fix and screwed it up(the bearing ,not the block).

firefighter3931

Machine shop rates vary by location but i would expect a cam bearing install would cost $75-$100  :scratchchin:

Ron

lexxman

Thanks Ron,I called at lunch today and they said 100.00(20.00 per bearing). So I'll take it down next week.

ACUDANUT

If your doing a new cam bearing install. I would order a new cam.