News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

unrestored Bird owners help.

Started by FJ5WING, April 22, 2013, 10:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

Id like to know if the trunk latch attaching bolts are black phosphate or body colored? Not the catch attached to the lid but the plated latch inside the trunk.

TIA! :wave:
wingless now, but still around.

billssuperbird

All the sb I have seen are bear metal

maxwellwedge

Quote from: FJ5WING on April 22, 2013, 10:42:41 AM
Id like to know if the trunk latch attaching bolts are black phosphate or body colored? Not the catch attached to the lid but the plated latch inside the trunk.

TIA! :wave:

I'll have a look at mine when I get a chance and report.

RealWing

Body color!!!
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

CornDogsCharger

Every car I've seen, not only Superbirds... the bolts were painted body color. 

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Wingnut426

Ther are black phosphate. I have never seen body colored bolts on any car. WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

hemi68charger

My thought would be, "Why would the assembly line put the attach bolts in, then paint the car, only to take them out again to install the latch? I think I'll have to go with Pete on this one. If I recall correctly, my survivor '71 Charger R/T didn't have the bolts painted........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

FJ5WING

that's why its so confusing...my trunk area was untouched and I was feeling good about them being body colored but it dosent make sense.

Im leaning towards painted but will wait on Mawellwedge as I know his car is considered a good example of an unrestored car.

Thanks to everyone for helping....still on the fence smiley!

RealWing

This is probably another case where Chrysler did things different ways and both can be correct. I've attached the page from my "ICCA Restoration and Judging Guidelines Reference Manual" where it states: "The bolts used to mount the latch TYPICALLY are installed prior to paint"
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

hemi68charger

I'm definitely up for learning something new AND correct.....  :yesnod:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

maxwellwedge

On a lot of cars the bolts were in place before the latch as a means to hold down the deck lid for paint. The latches were installed later and adjusted. This varied by years, production runs and plants. Since the Birds were built in a specific window at the same plant I expect a lot of procedures were common on their run. I will look at my cars tonight and report.

62 Max

Mine were yellow zinc when I took it apart,put it back the same way ! :shruggy:

billssuperbird

FJ5WING

OK...so after looking at the attached page the striker is unpainted but , mine is/was painted.  :shruggy:

I thought I was done with all the questions?????? :brickwall:

Thanks again WINGERS!!!!!! ;)

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: FJ5WING on April 23, 2013, 12:17:20 PM
OK...so after looking at the attached page the striker is unpainted but , mine is/was painted.  :shruggy:

painted

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on April 23, 2013, 12:52:09 PM
Quote from: FJ5WING on April 23, 2013, 12:17:20 PM

painted
The deck lid off my white bird before resto.

talkiemopar

I bought my bird new, it is unrestored and the bolts ARE painted.  :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: Rick.

moparstuart

Quote from: talkiemopar on April 23, 2013, 07:09:44 PM
I bought my bird new, it is unrestored and the bolts ARE painted.  :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: Rick.
and the old guy will never figure out how to take pictures of it and post them    :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

talkiemopar

Got to much stuff stacked on the trunk lid to take any pictures. :nana: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: Rick.

69_500

Quote from: moparstuart on April 23, 2013, 07:12:30 PM
and the old guy will never figure out how to take pictures of it and post them    :nana: :nana: :nana:
Do not need a picture of rick's trunk. Just call him and have him describe it.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on April 23, 2013, 07:34:32 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 23, 2013, 07:12:30 PM
Do not need a picture of rick's trunk. Just call him and have him describe it.

sorry i dont have an extra 10 hours to spare  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

maxwellwedge

Here you go - Painted bolts, plated latch. I threw in a pic of the deck lid catch as well. All of my Lynch Road stuff is this way as well as most of the other ones.

Notice the lack of paint behind - they obviously used some kind of temporary latch during the paint process - to hold the lid down.....which explains the painted bolts - which they re-used.

Looks like the lid was adjusted at least once in its life.

FJ5WING

Thanks everyone...... :punkrocka:

Especially for going out of the way to grab a picture or to at least peek inside your trunk!  :bow:

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 24, 2013, 07:26:10 AM
Here you go - Painted bolts, plated latch. I threw in a pic of the deck lid catch as well. All of my Lynch Road stuff is this way as well as most of the other ones.

Notice the lack of paint behind - they obviously used some kind of temporary latch during the paint process - to hold the lid down.....which explains the painted bolts - which they re-used.

That's awesome Jimbo !!!  :2thumbs:  Love your observation of the bare spot under the latch..
Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: FJ5WING on April 24, 2013, 07:56:14 AM
Thanks everyone...... :punkrocka:

Especially for going out of the way to grab a picture or to at least peek inside your trunk!  :bow:

Happy to help.  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 24, 2013, 08:25:44 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 24, 2013, 07:26:10 AM

That's awesome Jimbo !!!  :2thumbs:  Love your observation of the bare spot under the latch..

NP AB.  :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 24, 2013, 10:45:27 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on April 24, 2013, 08:25:44 AM

NP AB.  :2thumbs:

Hey John !!! Are you doing this to your Superbird resto?  :icon_smile_big:
Troy