News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SIX, count 'em, six K&K Dodges in one photo...

Started by odcics2, April 24, 2013, 03:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Closest one is the famous lowrider short track car that Bobby Isaac won all his races with in 1970.
That leaves 3 Daytonas and 2 500s.   And many questions....   
Which one was slicked up for Bonneville?
Which one ended up in the Museum today?
Was a 500 made into a Daytona??

One real K&K Dodge exists today.    Where did the other 5 end up?? 

Photo from randy ayers nascar modeling site. Thanks to "wingcarbuilder" and his great sleuthing abilities.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

That photo was around several years ago, but I could never ever remember where I saw it, nor could I find it again.  

That is a lot of cars in a stable for that time and for one driver.   But figure if they got 1 to 2 new cars per year as part of their deal with Chrysler during 68, 69 and 70, and Harry Hyde never threw anything away, do the math.

We know that one of those 500s is likely the one that went to the Louisville area about 1971.  Ken Reiter drove it locally as a #71 still Poppy Red but with a different number font.  

One car always stayed as a Daytona for exhibition and show car work in 1972 and beyond.   That would be the museum car.     So that leaves four cars.    

The 70 Charger low rider is shown outside the show as a derelict in 1973 along with the Daytona.    So that leaves three cars.      

No guarantee they got any new cars in 1971.    It's a fair assumption the rest were rebuilt over time and updated with newer metal.  

So many questions. Unfortunately dead men tell no tales as both Harry and Harry Lee have passed among others...

odcics2

Found this on the net...
Proof that at least one car from 1970, or earlier, was still in use in 1976!
Note the clearly visible straight pass side door bars.
Starting in 1971, any 'new' built car had curved door bars on both sides.
Older chassis were grandfathered in.
Dave Marcis...

Aero426

In shop, 1973.   Show car sign for the Daytona is hanging up on the wall.

Aero426

Two cars outside the shop, 1973.    This is a companion photo to the one above that shows at least two newer bodied cars inside.  
The Charger is the lowrider.  
The Daytona is the exhibition car, which would seem to be the one that still exists.

odcics2

I agree, the lowrider short track car...

The Daytona does not have the shortened side glass, like the Bonneville car did.
Must be the showcar that made the rounds, along with the sign you posted previously.

Aero426

One of the Daytonas with sign outside of Charlotte Motor Speedway ticket office.       The K & K shop where the pic of the 6 cars was taken was also located outside turn 1 at CMS.    They could just putt-putt the Daytona over.   The sign says "Worlds Fastest Stock Car" and "201.104mph", so it must be after November 1970.

odcics2

Found a good angle to show the shortened side windows in the Bonneville car.
Compare that to the top of the windshield!!   Bet Bobby had to be helped in and out.
That is not the car under the tarp in the above pic.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on April 24, 2013, 04:42:22 PM
One of the Daytonas with sign outside of Charlotte Motor Speedway ticket office.       The K & K shop where the pic of the 6 cars was taken was also located outside turn 1 at CMS.    They could just putt-putt the Daytona over.  

Any idea what the sign says in it's entirety?    I can make out 'Worlds Fastest"... 

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on April 24, 2013, 04:46:01 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on April 24, 2013, 04:42:22 PM
One of the Daytonas with sign outside of Charlotte Motor Speedway ticket office.       The K & K shop where the pic of the 6 cars was taken was also located outside turn 1 at CMS.    They could just putt-putt the Daytona over.  

Any idea what the sign says in it's entirety?    I can make out 'Worlds Fastest"...  

Hard to read but I have a little larger version and you can make out,  "Worlds Fastest Stock Car" and "201.104mph", so it must be after November 1970.  
It has old discarded small letter GY tires, like you'd expect for a show car.   (I could use a set of four of those about now.)

That one may very well be the real 201.104 car.

Aero426

The lowrider after winning at Malta NY, July 1972.   This was on the NASCAR northern swing that they used to do.    

The guy on the far right may be familar to some of you.

C_stripes

Cool pics. The more I look at the third gen bodies in Nascar, the more I like them.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Aero426 on April 24, 2013, 05:02:45 PM

A young Ron Jeremy?  :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 24, 2013, 05:12:44 PM

A young Ron Jeremy?  :shruggy:

Nope.  Something about "a gaggle of cars..."  :smilielol:

odcics2

The lowrider after winning at Malta NY, July 1972.   This was on the NASCAR northern swing that they used to do.    

Note: the dashboard.   Typical aluminum Nichels style.   Wood grain vinyl.  

Aero426

Someone on Facebook just said upon seeing the photo that the derelict low rider found new life on the dirt at Concord Speedway (the local track) with a local driver.     He said the Daytona just sat outside and rusted.    That is what Harry Lee Hyde said about the Daytona as well before they fixed it up to donate it.

Aero426

OK, no takers on the guy on the right?   C'mon folks, easy answer!    Hint: he was on TV this week.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Nwcharger

Quote from: Aero426 on April 25, 2013, 09:29:14 AM
OK, no takers on the guy on the right?   C'mon folks, easy answer!    Hint: he was on TV this week.

Ken squier?
1969 coronet wagon

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

tan top

:o awesome pictures  ,  never seen these before  ,  thanks for sharing  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

interesting  in number of  # 71 wing cars  , there was a thread a while back talking about this i think ,  :scratchchin:
:popcrn:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Budnicks

Very cool photos, especially that 1st one, of the fleet
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

DC_1

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on April 24, 2013, 04:23:49 PM
In shop, 1973.   Show car sign for the Daytona is hanging up on the wall.

Bet these two cars are re-skinned 69 Chargers, either the 500s or Daytonas...  :Twocents: