News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NASCAR Daytona Wing Support

Started by garyd2831, May 09, 2013, 09:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyd2831

I'm building a Daytona Clone with a lot of NASCAR "technology" incorporate to include the wing support?  Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of a disassembled NASCAR Daytona Wing.  I've included some photos that I have found and have studied Buddy Bakers number 88 test Daytona, but would like to see how it all goes together.  I know that it appears to have three (3) hex head tapered screws/bolts going through the vertical stabilizer uprights attached to a metal plate of some sort.  I noticed that one of the mounting "bosses" near the base of the wing is grounded off for clearance of the internal structure portion.  There is also the inspection hole at the top just forward of the horizontal stabilizer attachment screw for the safety cable.

If anyone has a disassembled picture, please let me know.  Thank you.

garyd2831

garyd2831

Buddy Baker's number 88 Test Daytona

garyd2831

More of number 88

garyd2831

A few more of number 88.

A383Wing

looks just like my wing...except mine's all painted and mounted on the car. I also filled in the cable hole at the top of each upright on mine. I also have the eight set screws on the horizontal center piece as well

Bryan

Aero426

The inner tube reinforcements have holes in the tube stock itself.    Looking at your pics, it appears you have most of the pieces of the puzzle.

What you see on the fake #88 museum car is how it should be.

garyd2831

Thank you for the pictures:)

Why is the Number 88 car fake???  I don't know what became the fate of the number 88.  Can you fill me in on the details?

garyd2831

Aero426, can you provide me dimension of the tubing (i.e. length, diameter, angle of bend)?  I'm trying to replicate the same thing.

Thanks

Aero426

Quote from: garyd2831 on May 09, 2013, 04:50:22 PM
Thank you for the pictures:)

Why is the Number 88 car fake???  I don't know what became the fate of the number 88.  Can you fill me in on the details?

The car in the museum is not the real record setting car.   It is the mule #71 Daytona that was used at the proving grounds.  You see it sometimes with the hand made nose and small rear wing.    Chrysler later painted it blue as the #88 and donated it to the museum in the early 70's.    The real #88 still had some life left in it, and was given to USAC driver Don White to race under his yellow and black colors.  The car is under restoration now by DC.com member odcis2.  

The photo below is the real #88 racing on dirt in 1972.

odcics2

If you look at the rear 1/4 panels you can see the plates that Don put on to cover the wing holes...

http://aerowarriors.com/88daytona.html
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?