News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New project...Pro Street Daytona clone

Started by hotrod98, May 02, 2013, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Also moving the nose back means mounting it at a point where the fenders are wider side to side. The nose may have to be split and widened or the fenders sectioned and narrowed. Modifying a model car might be a cheap way to visualize the concept. They are accurate enough to give you a sense of some of the problems.

moparstuart

Quote from: Stevearino on June 17, 2013, 05:10:18 AM
Also moving the nose back means mounting it at a point where the fenders are wider side to side. The nose may have to be split and widened or the fenders sectioned and narrowed. Modifying a model car might be a cheap way to visualize the concept. They are accurate enough to give you a sense of some of the problems.

always the model builder   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

The steel nose that I have was built wider than an original nose to begin with and was going to require major modification to fit the stock fenders. That and the non correct headlamp openings were the reasons that we didn't use this piece on Howie's clone. Will be perfect for this project since it was going to have to be cut and modified no matter what it was used on.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Mike DC

Whatever you do, I suspect you will find that in general, modifying the fenders/hood to taper down to fit the nose will look better than enlarging the nose in every direction necessary to fit the fenders/hood. 

As for the rad support, I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to lower it.  (Unibody mods, radiator fitment problems, etc.)  I dunno, maybe the under-bracing of the hood could be removed in that area to gain enough clearance for the hood to taper down adequately.  The hood & fenders are already gonna be pretty hacked-up before this thing is finished anyway.

Stevearino

Probably why they used a Superbird nose on the F and F car. They look larger top to bottom where they connect to the fenders. May be bigger over all. Just guessing.

hotrod98

Tapering the fenders might be an option. I'm not too worried about hacking on nice parts. You should see some of the cars that we've built over the years. We built a very nice 67 Mustang Shelby pro touring clone a few years ago that was all metal...no fiberglass. And it was all black.
There won't be any plastic or fiberglass on this build either. All metal.

Charles Addams

djcarguy

Howdy Hotrod  wondering if ya were still planning this daytona project??  sounds like it wood bee a interesting custom daytona ride. like the shorten nose and custom mods.  

have waited to post on this.read the sad news and very sorry bout your wife,now she can bee at peace. pray you have lots of time with family and friends and memories of the great times with wife an family. all my best wishes and prayes. find some stuff to stay busy and bring enjoymant too you. take care and god bless.

saw ya post bout 70 rr and maybee look for a daytona ,goood luck on all..DJ :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I just received my new Daytona wing from Dane this past week. Hope to start on the Daytona project soon. I have a steel nose and now all I really need is a set of the steel fender scoops.

I've been trying to stay busy since Sandra passed away. Helps to keep my mind off of the whole sad ordeal. Between the dragracing and riding my RZR's, I do tend to stay pretty busy.

Recently, I've purchased a lil red express matching numbers truck and a 70 B5 blue Roadrunner with blue interior, matching numbers car. And, I still haven't finished my 71 Cuda drag car. So I have a few shop projects to keep me occupied. I would love to find a great deal on a restorable Daytona but I'm not holding my breath...lol

My plan is to work on my cars that I plan to keep for myself and let the guys concentrate on building my cars that I plan to sell. That way we can build them and take them to the larger auctions. We are going to pretty much stop the resto work for customers. Just too time consuming. We have several contracts with companies around here to repair their company vehicles and that's where the real money is. This way I can use my cars as filler work.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

i think you should  try to make a reality show from your shop. look at fast and load . there making lotsa money
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

My project Daytona is truly a work in process. I just picked up a great deal on a fresh 425 HP 426 hemi crate motor with a dual quad intake and Keith Black aluminum valve covers. I also picked up a hemi k member, a fresh 727 with all of the heavy duty internals and 426 original kick down linkage. In the deal, I also got all of the little pieces necessary to install the engine including the correct mounts, linkage, throttle springs, date coded plug wires coil, hoses, clamps and all of the bolts as well as a new engine harness for electronic ignition. This stuff was part of a bank foreclosure so it was bought right.
I already have a new Gear Vendors overdrive so all I need now is a dana rear end. Probably buy a new strange unit since most of the originals are pretty much worn out anyway.
I'll save my new 6.4 liter 392 for my 71 Cuda.

Here's a pic from one of the video games that I found online. Pretty much looks exactly like the car that I'm building. It has the Daytona style nose, the vent glasses and a regular Daytona wing.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

A383Wing

Stevearino

Sounds like real progress is about to start. Don't be stingy on the photos.We're all starving to see the results. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

hotrod98

Forgot to mention that I'm going to use FAST dual throttle body EFI with an in tank pump, MSD ignition and a wet sump oiling system.  I'm trying to make the hemi as reliable and as drivable as possible. I've had carbureted hemis before. Never again.
Plan is to use an oval air cleaner instead of the chrome dome.
Paint will be PMP Ox Blood Pearl. Undecided on wing color.
Still undecided on brakes and rims.  Probably Brembo brakes.
I won't be removing the vent glass assemblies. Too much fab work to use full door glass. Besides, on nice days I love to open the vent windows up to get a nice breeze.
I won't be shaving the door handles. I hate door poppers. I plan to run the exhaust out the quarters but want to try to have the mufflers under the car with just the exhaust pipe running inside the car with a steel box and heavy insulation for both heat and noise. This plan is subject to change. More thought needed on this one.
The cage will be built with the halo and front down bars. No back seat. Sparco R505 front seats. Three point harnesses with the single shoulder belt. Much easier getting in and out.
Stock dash with modifications including Autometer gauges. Classic Auto A/C. Power windows. I'll delete the upper door trims completely and make them look like the Coronet doors and inner upper quarters. Interior will be a blend of stock and race.
Since I'm going with the 727 auto, I'm thinking that I'll use a B&M Magnum Grip Street Bandit Shifter.
Enough thinking for now. Hope to have room in the shop to start on this project very soon.
Many pics will follow.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 12, 2013, 09:35:28 PM
Forgot to mention that I'm going to use FAST dual throttle body EFI with an in tank pump, MSD ignition and a wet sump oiling system.  I'm trying to make the hemi as reliable and as drivable as possible. I've had carbureted hemis before. Never again.
Paint will be PMP Ox Blood Pearl. Undecided on wing color.
Still undecided on brakes and rims.  Probably Brembo brakes.
I won't be removing the vent glass assemblies. Too much fab work to use full door glass. Besides, on nice days I love to open the vent windows up to get a nice breeze.
I won't be shaving the door handles. I hate door poppers. I plan to run the exhaust out the quarters but want to try to have the mufflers under the car with just the exhaust pipe running inside the car with a steel box and heavy insulation for both heat and noise. This plan is subject to change. More thought needed on this one.
The cage will be built with the halo and front down bars. No back seat. Sparco R505 front seats. Three point harnesses with the single shoulder belt. Much easier getting in and out.
Stock dash with modifications including Autometer gauges. Classic Auto A/C. Power windows. I'll delete the upper door trims completely and make them look like the Coronet doors and inner upper quarters. Interior will be a blend of stock and race.
Since I'm going with the 727 auto, I'm thinking that I'll use a B&M Magnum Grip Street Bandit Shifter.
Enough thinking for now. Hope to have room in the shop to start on this project very soon.
Many pics will follow.
Larry Bells  Black bird hemi vert has the dual TB  EFI set up

hotrod98

Stu, That is very similar to what I have planned. I hope he's been happy with the EFI setup.
I'm taking the engine to Jim Lewis next week. He's a hemi expert. He started out working for Jim Hale building his race motors. He's going to totally disassemble it and check everything from top to bottom. I don't trust Mopar Performance crate motors. Anyone that buys one should have a good machine shop check the clearances, etc. Jim will check it, balance it, re-assemble it and put it on the dyno. He's built street hemis for guys that have driven them for thousands of miles with no issues whatsoever.

Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 12, 2013, 02:11:27 PM
My project Daytona is truly a work in process. I just picked up a great deal on a fresh 425 HP 426 hemi crate motor with a dual quad intake and Keith Black aluminum valve covers. I also picked up a hemi k member, a fresh 727 with all of the heavy duty internals and 426 original kick down linkage. In the deal, I also got all of the little pieces necessary to install the engine including the correct mounts, linkage, throttle springs, date coded plug wires coil, hoses, clamps and all of the bolts as well as a new engine harness for electronic ignition. This stuff was part of a bank foreclosure so it was bought right.
I already have a new Gear Vendors overdrive so all I need now is a dana rear end. Probably buy a new strange unit since most of the originals are pretty much worn out anyway.

Here's a pic from one of the video games that I found online. Pretty much looks exactly like the car that I'm building. It has the Daytona style nose, the vent glasses and a regular Daytona wing.

Picture of the motor? - love it.

Stevearino

Larry,  You mentioned that using full glass in the doors is too much fab work. Is this a modification you had done in the past. If so did you have to have custom glass made or what? Just curious.

1974dodgecharger

Fast and furious all the way baby?..

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Stevearino on September 13, 2013, 03:08:24 PM
Larry,  You mentioned that using full glass in the doors is too much fab work. Is this a modification you had done in the past. If so did you have to have custom glass made or what? Just curious.

I talked to a guy one time at a show about full glass application in a Charger door (getting rid of the vent window)....he told me he was using the side window from a 70-2 Chevy Chevelle 2 dr hardtop he said it was a dead nuts match for the profile/fit?...I never did check into it, or see/hear any results, but I recall him mentioning the Chevelle glass...I would assume you'd need the regulators from the GM as well IF the glass did indeed fit the roof/a pillar profile, as well as match the back qtr glass.....would be interesting to see if the glass is indeed close enough to work?

Mike

Stevearino

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 13, 2013, 03:48:15 PM
Larry,  You mentioned that using full glass in the doors is too much fab work. Is this a modification you had done in the past. If so did you have to have custom glass made or what? Just curious.

I talked to a guy one time at a show about full glass application in a Charger door (getting rid of the vent window)....he told me he was using the side window from a 70-2 Chevy Chevelle 2 dr hardtop he said it was a dead nuts match for the profile/fit?...I never did check into it, or see/hear any results, but I recall him mentioning the Chevelle glass...I would assume you'd need the regulators from the GM as well IF the glass did indeed fit the roof/a pillar profile, as well as match the back qtr glass.....would be interesting to see if the glass is indeed close enough to work?

Mike

Early in my project I looked into finding an off the shelf match and believe it or not the 69 Camaro came heart breakingly close. It was an exact fit along the roof. The length and height of the glass was right . Even the curvature would accept the Charger B post chrome.  But the A post angle was off by 1 1/4" at the base and trying to figure out a modification of the A post that wouldn't look stupid  was a dead end.  I  briefly looked at a 72 Chevelle and a 73 Dart. Neither looked right.

Steve

tan top

:coolgleamA: :drool5:  don't know why but seeing a Daytona  or a third generation with a cage in it , to me looks soo right  :yesnod:   prolly cause of the the grandnational  deal back in the day  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hemi Runner

Quote from: moparstuart on September 12, 2013, 09:38:46 PM
Forgot to mention that I'm going to use FAST dual throttle body EFI with an in tank pump, MSD ignition and a wet sump oiling system.  I'm trying to make the hemi as reliable and as drivable as possible. I've had carbureted hemis before. Never again.

Larry Bells  Black bird hemi vert has the dual TB  EFI set up

Here it is mocked up before I milled nearly a quarter inch off the intake to clear the hood.

hotrod98

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 13, 2013, 03:48:15 PM

Mike

I have a pair of 69 chevelle doors in the basement. I think they're the same as 70 glass. The 68's still had the vent glass. I'll do some measuring just for grins. I have never converted a door like that before. I have converted hardtops to posts and vice versa but never tried to alter something like this.

Quote from: Hemi Runner on September 13, 2013, 06:45:19 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on September 12, 2013, 09:38:46 PM
Forgot to mention that I'm going to use FAST dual throttle body EFI with an in tank pump, MSD ignition and a wet sump oiling system.  I'm trying to make the hemi as reliable and as drivable as possible. I've had carbureted hemis before. Never again.

Larry Bells  Black bird hemi vert has the dual TB  EFI set up

Here it is mocked up before I milled nearly a quarter inch off the intake to clear the hood.

Your intake looks slightly different than mine. Looks like there's not enough meat on mine to remove 1/4 inch.  Are you happy with the EFI setup? We have EFI on my wife's cuda and we've loved it from day one.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Pics of the heads and short block.

Charles Addams