News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust balance tube. X or H?

Started by COKE, February 21, 2006, 04:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Kam to the rescue  :icon_smile_big: Thanks for hosting them buddy....you da man !  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

Ps. Now, did someone say sumthin 'bout rice  :devil:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

COKE

From the Flowmaster page:

"Do I need to install an "H" pipe to my dual exhaust?
Flowmaster strongly recommends using an "H" pipe, commonly known as a "balance tube" on all "true dual" exhaust systems. An "H" pipe equalizes the pressures between both banks of the engine giving a broader and flatter torque curve throughout the rpm range. It also eliminates "back-rap" common on deceleration, and creates a deeper mellower tone both inside and outside of the vehicle. "

"Is an "X" pipe better than and "H" pipe?
Over the years, Flowmaster's testing of all types of crossovers, including "X pipes", has revealed no substantial benefits over a properly installed "H" pipe on street driven applications. However, in race applications with small cubic inch engines and /or restricted (small bore) carburetors, will respond well to the addition of X pipes, tri-y styled collectors and/or properly designed single exhaust systems. "

69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

Ghoste

There are probably as many tests that say it's better as there are saying no "significant" benefit.  Since there are none that say the X is worse than the H, I'm willing to put it on and take the chance that the not significant benefit can help in the total scheme.
One more grain of sand in the bottle, as it were.

kamkuda