News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Pulley issues...what do I need??????

Started by 70Sbird, May 13, 2013, 02:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Hi all,
I'm still accumulating the parts to drop this Hemi into the Superbird that I posted about earlier. The latest snag is the pulleys. I have done a bunch of internet searches and probably the best info was on Troy's Hemi pulley questions on Moparts from a few years ago, but it doesnt really answer my questions.I know the 1970 Hemi damper is thicker than the standard "RB" one, and if you are running an aftermarked damper you should be able to use the std. 440 pulleys. This engine has an aftermarket Damper.
Here is what I have going on right now:
Just for reference, the distance from the crank damper pulley mounting face to the water pump pulley mounting face is 4.25 inches if that means anything.
I have the reproduction (Hemi only) P/S pump pulley pressed on the P/S pump and a 440 two groove crank pulley bolted on (because that is what was supplied by the customer), and it doesnt line up. The P/S pulley is roughly 5/16" farther forward than the crank pulley P/S groove
However, I borrowed the water pump pulley off my 440 and the water pump/alternator grooves are pretty close. The Hemi only alternator mounting kit is still on backorder so I have no Idea where that pulley centerline will fall in reference to the crank/waterpump off the 440.
Hopefully this makes sense, has anyone been through this before? Is the Hemi crank pulley spacing between the two grooves different than the 440 one? I suspect to make this all "work" I will need the Hemi only water pump and crank pulley, then space the crank pulley out equal to the difference between a Hemi and Aftermarket damper (5/16" ?), or is there a better way?
Thanks for reading....now my head hurts again....
If there is any additional info that would help please let me know
Scott

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Not sure where in space a Saginaw pump pully groove is, but maybe a Sagniaw pump would do the ticket since you're having to deal with a 440 water pump pulley and possible crank pulley configuration?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Kowal

'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

charge69

This is a picture of my pulleys, sort of, and how they line up on my 1969 Hemicharger and the pulleys are all original to the motor. Not sure if this helps but, .............. maybe !!

ws23rt

I have been looking at this puzzle and your questions and think you need to wait till you get the alternator and brkts. to get the whole picture.
One question is the two grove pully on the crank. I believe the inner grove should be larger than the outer grove. And the outer grove should match the ps pump.
That is how my 69 hemi is set up. If your need is like mine the water pump pully grove is too close to eng.
  I am sure before I can get you the whole story someone will get it to you.

hemi68charger

Scott, the stick in the gears is the dampner. Is it the width of a 440 dampner? if so, everything can be configured to work as a 440. As long as you have OEM brackets and such ( assuming your dampner is a 440-style ). If not, then it is going to be more difficult.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

Years back we used a crank pulley from a poly 318.It fit on the 426 balancer.And used a puller on the water pump to bring the mounting boss further up for better alignment .The aftermarket has all the pulleys nowadays shouldnt be hard to get it right
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701