News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holy Crap...Found My Problem

Started by MoparMotel, May 19, 2013, 07:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

Been having fuel problems for 3 years. New fuel tank, fuel line, 3 different fuel pumps, 3 different carbs and new pick up/sending unit. One thing I never thought to replace was the fuel pump push rod  :brickwall:

Ordered a new Carter fuel pump and Comp Cams fuel rod and put them both in yesterday...Here's what I found.

Long Story short car runs great now  :brickwall: :slap:
1968 Dodge Charger

1970Moparmann

What was the signs of your problem?  Glad you figured it out? :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

471_Magnum

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

A383Wing

1970Moparmann

The issue wouldn't be hesitation would it?  If so I know what I have to do with my Coronet....

Fred

Better late than never.  At least now the problem's solved. You'll be sleeping well tonight.  :yesnod:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

tan top

:o  glad you found the problem  :yesnod:  :2thumbs:

never knew compcams  done a pump push rod , looks  heavy duty  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Chryco Psycho

Ran into lots of these , a few years back I was at a show & a guy had a 69 Charger , he had a new engine in the car & had gone through what youdid had it into numerous shops , finally called me , carb wouldn't stay full , popped the fuel pump off , same problem , years of frustration & lots of $$ , the machine shop never even pulled the rod when they rebuilt it :brickwall:

MoparMotel

Same thing here, my engine was rebuilt in December 2008 and the guy who rebuilt it never even checked it or put a new one in.

As for signs of problem, My car would fire up and run great one day, next day would be bogging out and running like shit. Finally in Feb I was driving only a couple miles from home at about 40mph and the car just died. Coasted to a stop and tried cranking it, nothing. Popped air cleaner off and looked in sight glass of my aluminum 770 Holley Street Avenger carb, bone dry. Sprayed a little carb cleaner in front bowl and fired right up but wouldn't stay running if I didn't spray. Got promoted at work and was busy and sidetracked with other projects from Feb until this past weekend. Drove the car Sat night after finishing it and also just drove it to my parents and back tonight, runs great.

I was so tired of messing with this thing. Put on a new Year One tank thinking my old one had dirt and shit in it, Put on 3 different Napa Gold fuel pumps, New metal line from pump to carb as well as new rubber line off inlet of fuel pump. Also put on 3 different carbs. Edelbrock 750, sent my original Carter 4401 i believe to be restored/rebuilt, and now my new Aluminum Holley 770 Street Avenger......All for a $22 fuel pump push rod LOL.

Oh well at least everything is new now, also I really like the performance of my new street avenger carb, great throttle response and performance over the stock 625cfm Carter.

Thanks for the help with parts recommendations guys I appreciate it :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger

Chryco Psycho

There is good reason why I recommend Holley or Proform over other carbs , they simply work a lot better .
Glad you got it narrowed down ....g o enjoy the car this summer  :2thumbs:

1970Moparmann

I've had a fuel issue with my Coronet since I bought her 8 years ago.  This is why I'm asking questions on this thread because this is the one thing I haven't replaced.   I went through a bunch of hoops like the OP, and hope this solves my issue. :2thumbs:

MoparMotel

Yeah for sure, Let me know if you need any help or have any questions. I'm sure there are other companies that make the fuel pump push rod but I just called Comp Cams because I am running one of their cams and wanted to make sure I got the correct one, They recommended Comp Cams #4626 I'm sure it will fit your car, Was about $22-23
1968 Dodge Charger

ACUDANUT

Chatt69chgr

So what is the correct length for the fuel pump push rod?

68CoronetRT

I believe it's supposed to be 3.25".

A383Wing

Budnicks

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 21, 2013, 09:18:14 AM
There is good reason why I recommend Holley or Proform over other carbs , they simply work a lot better .
Glad you got it narrowed down ....g o enjoy the car this summer  :2thumbs:
:2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

tsmithae

I have heard that it get shorter and less effective with age....  :D :smilielol:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

A383Wing

Quote from: tsmithae on May 30, 2013, 07:07:51 PM
I have heard that it get shorter and less effective with age....  :D :smilielol:

is that the voice of experience talking?

Bryan

MoparMotel

Quote from: A383Wing on May 30, 2013, 07:48:46 PM

Bryan

Not going to lie this is not what I thought I'd see when logging in...but that's dam funny  :smilielol:
1968 Dodge Charger

tsmithae

Quote from: A383Wing on May 30, 2013, 07:48:46 PM

Bryan

Not that I've noticed yet, I'm sure some day I'll look back and remember the good days
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Chippa

Can anyone post up a pic of this rod in situ?? does it just sit behind the pump or something??

Just curious

Cheers  :cheers:

A383Wing

yes, sits in a hole that goes up about 45* from the pump lever...you have to remove the pipe plug under the pump to get it out...then use some wheel bearing grease to install so it stays in place while installing pump. To many times I have heard of people putting new fuel pumps in an the rod fell from the cam and the lever was on the side of the rod instead of under it.

Pics should be in the service manual

Bryan

Chippa

Cheers for the info A383Wing  :2thumbs: something else to check down the track and i'm bored and feel like tinkering just for the hell of it  :cheers:

MoparMotel

Quote from: Chippa on June 01, 2013, 09:13:59 PM
Can anyone post up a pic of this rod in situ?? does it just sit behind the pump or something??

Just curious

Cheers  :cheers:

I'm not a very good mechanic and I managed it lol...Just like these guys said I took some grease out of my grease gun and spread a light layer on and slid it up in there...After that I used a flashlight with one hand and the fuel pump in the other hand and shined the light in there from the side to watch and make sure I slid the pump underneath the rod then put the pump flush with the block and bolted it up...also make sure your gasket doesn't move mine slid down a little so I had to make sure it was lined up correctly with the pump.
1968 Dodge Charger

Iceyone

Sometimes the cam lobe which drives the fuel pump rod wears out too, causes the same problem.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

Budnicks

Quote from: A383Wing on June 01, 2013, 09:44:43 PM
yes, sits in a hole that goes up about 45* from the pump lever...you have to remove the pipe plug under the pump to get it out...then use some wheel bearing grease to install so it stays in place while installing pump. To many times I have heard of people putting new fuel pumps in an the rod fell from the cam and the lever was on the side of the rod instead of under it.

Pics should be in the service manual

Bryan

:2thumbs:

john108

Would you try to rotate the cam so the rod slides deeper in, so there is more room to fit the fuel pump lever in???  I have an engine/block dis-assembled and can see that rod from the front of the engine.  I didn't have a 5/16 wrench to get it out.

A383Wing

yes, you can rotate engine so rod is on the lowest part of cam lobe to ease installation of pump lever. That way rod will be further up in block

Bryan

69wannabe

My friend that does body work for me now had a 69 super bee when I met him. That's how we became buds, his bee wouldn't run after swapping carbs and fuel pumps and etc... At the time I had a ford truck I was working on and needed it buffed out. He said if you can make that 383 run that he would buff out my truck. I had a feeling that pump rod was worn and I had an old 400 block that was gave to me and we pulled his out and took the one out of the 400 and there was a lot of difference. Got him going and got my old truck buffed out.  Glad you got your fuel troubles figured out, that is frustrating when you got a whole new fuel system and still have fuel troubles!!

Budnicks

Quote from: A383Wing on June 04, 2013, 11:26:40 PM
yes, you can rotate engine so rod is on the lowest part of cam lobe to ease installation of pump lever. That way rod will be further up in block

Bryan

good advice...  :2thumbs: makes it a little easier not working as much against the pump arm/lever...

pullrock

I spent two weeks on this and replace and moved the fuel pump more times than i would like to remember!