News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargen69

Quote from: Stevearino on September 09, 2016, 03:42:30 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 09, 2016, 03:12:07 PM
Woohoo! I'm glad your wait is finally coming to an end.   :2thumbs:

So does that mean you can insure it as a classic car?

My insurance company State Farm has a Classic Car/ Resto Mod division now and this falls under the latter. So they are going over some of my build pictures to see if we can come to what is known as an "agreed upon value". The premium will be based on that. Guy at work insured his car for $40,000 under a similar scenario and pays about $400 a year. I plan to try for $50,000 which gets me my out of pocket money and about 15%. Trying to get my labor would not be practical as replacement by a pro shop would be between $250,000.00 and $300,000.00 so even if I could get that assessment I wouldn't want to pay that premium.

hagerty!   I had put my 69 on a state farm policy when I got it years ago before restoration.  I had 19,000 in coverage and it cost me $47/month.  last year I switched to hagerty and told them it was worth 50K and the premium is about $40/month

Dino

Quote from: Chargen69 on September 10, 2016, 08:26:12 AM

My insurance company State Farm has a Classic Car/ Resto Mod division now and this falls under the latter. So they are going over some of my build pictures to see if we can come to what is known as an "agreed upon value". The premium will be based on that. Guy at work insured his car for $40,000 under a similar scenario and pays about $400 a year. I plan to try for $50,000 which gets me my out of pocket money and about 15%. Trying to get my labor would not be practical as replacement by a pro shop would be between $250,000.00 and $300,000.00 so even if I could get that assessment I wouldn't want to pay that premium.

hagerty!   I had put my 69 on a state farm policy when I got it years ago before restoration.  I had 19,000 in coverage and it cost me $47/month.  last year I switched to hagerty and told them it was worth 50K and the premium is about $40/month

Depends on where you are I suppose. I had mine insured with Hagerty and the cost went up more than $100 in a single year. I think my last premium was going to be $429 for $30K coverage. Never again.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Stevearino

Quote from: tsmithae on September 09, 2016, 09:38:34 PM
Glad to hear she's been cleared!

Thanks tsimthae .It was as excruciatingly long as I had anticipated and then some but we are legal so the pressure is off.

Quote from: garner7555 on September 10, 2016, 05:45:50 AM
iI look forward to seeing it in Alabama now that you will be able to start your 48 state tour!  HAHAHA     :2thumbs:

I have a few more things to do so it will be a while until I can officially come out to play.

I have started my punch list some of which I have no control.

(1) Sent the drivers window out to California to be re-made. We shall see how long that takes to come back. I still have my lexan mock up window if
    I get to itchy to drive this thing I will try to put that back in.
(2) I told the sad tale of dropping the hood on the car in an act of monumental stupidity. I fixed the damaged area on the top of the fender and
    nose and buffed them out and they look pretty good.
(3) The gas tank being in front of the rear wheels is a long way from my filler on top of the quarter. When I moved it to that location I used 1" ID
    silicone hose to extend the fill tube in through the wheel tub and up to the filler neck. I thought I had enough pitch in it but it holds gas and that
    is no good. That stuff might be good for fuel transfer but gas laying in that actually permeates the tube. I thought I had a leak in the tube but I
    just lifted it up so that it would drain and the overwhelming smell went away immediately. Bottom line is I have to pull out everything in the
    and get in there and fashion a metal line that has the proper pitch or I will blow myself up.
(4) I had opened up the rear wheel openings about 1/2" to allow for more tire clearance but it was not enough on the right side. So I had to work
    on moving the quarter panel out at the bottom without cracking the body work. That seemed to go alright.
(5) Here is a real stinker. I had upholstered my front door panels about 2 years ago. Well the heat in the loft of my shop where I had them safely
    stored was a little too much for the Foam and Fabric glue that I have used a bunch over the years. Must have gotten a bad batch. So I have to
    remove the vinyl from the front door panels, clean off the glue, re-bondo any damage I do to the panel when pulling off the fabric, re-seal them
    and re cover them using commercial vinyl top glue this time. Good times. The more recent work seems to be just fine. Time will tell.
(6) Once all that is done I will take it to a real mechanic to look over the front end and all of the stuff I had to replace to see if I missed anything.

Stevearino

So here you can see the old set up for the fuel filler extension. The blue silicone hose ended up being back pitched and was holding fuel . Making a hell of a stink in the trunk even though it was not leaking. I replaced the entire thing except the junctions with a 1" steel tube that is heavily pitched to assure the gas drains out of the fill neck.  You know what they say. " Our stuff is nice because we do it twice" :yesnod:

Dino

Excellent work. I didn't expect anything less.   :2thumbs:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chargen69

Quote from: Dino on September 10, 2016, 08:34:28 AM
Quote from: Chargen69 on September 10, 2016, 08:26:12 AM

Depends on where you are I suppose. I had mine insured with Hagerty and the cost went up more than $100 in a single year. I think my last premium was going to be $429 for $30K coverage. Never again.

mine just renewed for the 2nd year, same price

Stevearino

So  the insurance company wanted more pictures and asked for one of the engine bay. Can you believe of all the pictures I have posted I did not have one clear shot to send them. So here is the picture I took today.

One of my re do's was the bracing on the back side of the driver side lower quarter panel.  When I took it for a jaunt around the property a couple of weeks ago it showed a tire rub. I cut the welded stob that I had holding the lower panel in place and added an adjuster to move the panel out a little at a time until it looked clear. I then welded the vertical stob back to the frame. I hope this is the cure. I guess I will find out after I jump the car a few times :smilielol:

As I had mentioned before the front door panels had been covered about 2 years ago and stored up stairs in my shop. The heat must have been too much for the glue that I used. and some of the vinyl was detaching. So I started the process of re doing them. I pulled the vinyl off and removed the old glue. As I expected it pulled some of the bondo away so I had to re mud it and this time I sealed it with K2 Primer.  I got vinyl top  glue so that their would be no letting go. The 3M brand foam and fabric glue that comes in a can just doesn't cut it.

mike69440

BEST CHASSIS PROTECTION!
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/

Steve,

IMHO this stuff works well, I really would not recommend it if I had any doubts.

I brushed this stuff on the underside of my Terminator 14 years ago and it is still all there, doing its job 78,000 miles later.

03 is a 2-1/2 season daily driver.  I still in many ways regret selling to buy the Cobra.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121983.0.html

Stevearino

Quote from: mike69440 on September 13, 2016, 08:04:39 AM
BEST CHASSIS PROTECTION!
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/

Steve,

IMHO this stuff works well, I really would not recommend it if I had any doubts.

I brushed this stuff on the underside of my Terminator 14 years ago and it is still all there, doing its job 78,000 miles later.

03 is a 2-1/2 season daily driver.  I still in many ways regret selling to buy the Cobra.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121983.0.html
Looks good. I will have to try that stuff out. At least you were able to find your old car and it is being well cared for. I had a car that I did a custom job on in the early 80's that I had sold to a guy who garage kept it for nearly 30 years. Recently while visiting back home about 5 years ago , I saw the car parked at his son's house under some pine trees and now it is gone. So you are lucky.

Well tomorrow the 15th of September is 4 years to the day that I went to pick up my 68 Charger shell which I had bought pretty much on faith and some scroungy pictures on Craigslist. It was 5 hours away in Georgia.  Today ,one day shy of that anniversary I have plates on the car. They are temporaries until I get my personalized plates in a couple of weeks and the EEK is perfect because I think I made that sound when I got them in hand. So if I wanted to I could take the car for a ride. Will I. Well probably not for a couple of weeks. But there is an excellent reason. Mopar Muscle is sending a photographer around to do a photo shoot which might be in the magazine early next year. So......I can't really take any chances with scratching or otherwise messing it up. I had hoped that they would do it earlier this month but the photographer is coming from Philadelphia and could not justify the 11 hour one way trip to shoot one car. He will now do it on the way to shooting a road course race somewhere south of me.

cdr

this is GREAT NEWS!!!!!  LOL EEK is appropriate :) .
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Swampwing2

I have not chimed in for a while but I have been watching. Beautiful craftsmanship and design. Time to enjoy it for a while, before you get another "idea".   :cheers:

71_Charger_R/T

Too bad the license plate wasn't "EEK 6806...... What are the real personalized plates going to say?

Bobs69

Quote from: Swampwing2 on September 14, 2016, 06:25:25 PM
I have not chimed in for a while but I have been watching. Beautiful craftsmanship and design. Time to enjoy it for a while, before you get another "idea".   :cheers:

After that creation do you have anything left in you?  Are you just warming up?  Or is it business as usual?  I would think that you've given so much of yourself to the build that you'd need a rest!  Artists are usually the sensitive type aren't they?

Or do you find this very taxing?

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

WINGIN IT

So Steve, the whole time you planned on finishing the car up on page 69 on this post, didn't you??  :icon_smile_big:

Stevearino

Quote from: cdr on September 14, 2016, 04:51:39 PM
this is GREAT NEWS!!!!!  LOL EEK is appropriate :) .

That is what I thought when the lady handed me the plate on both counts.

I have not chimed in for a while but I have been watching. Beautiful craftsmanship and design. Time to enjoy it for a while, before you get another "idea".   :cheers:

I have plenty of ideas. What I lack is time and money.  :'(  Sound familiar?

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on September 14, 2016, 10:17:01 PM
Too bad the license plate wasn't "EEK 6806...... What are the real personalized plates going to say?

Yes. That would have been a good one. The plate I wanted was taken already. That would have said "WARRIOR". So I settled for
"WNGWRIR" . Not as obvious as I would like but better than nothing. (limit of 8 Characters)

Quote from: Bobs69 on September 15, 2016, 07:30:13 AM
I have not chimed in for a while but I have been watching. Beautiful craftsmanship and design. Time to enjoy it for a while, before you get another "idea".   :cheers:

After that creation do you have anything left in you?  Are you just warming up?  Or is it business as usual?  I would think that you've given so much of yourself to the build that you'd need a rest!  Artists are usually the sensitive type aren't they?

Or do you find this very taxing?

I find the work challenging and stimulating as opposed to my day job which many would think is glamorous but is very annoying and boring to say the least. As opposed to sensitive I would characterize myself as "thin skinned". That would be more accurate.
As I stated above I have way more ideas than I have resources (finances) You are only truly free when you are building a car with no commercial expectations. You can only really do that for yourself with your own money. While I would like to say there is another build in the future I can't see what or how that would be in the short term.

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on September 15, 2016, 02:15:42 PM
very nice

Thanks XS29L9B2. I am watching your project progress nicely. :coolgleamA:

Stevearino

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 15, 2016, 04:03:38 PM
So Steve, the whole time you planned on finishing the car up on page 69 on this post, didn't you??  :icon_smile_big:

Well that is pretty crazy. I did not notice that. So weird.

WINGIN IT

"Yes. That would have been a good one. The plate I wanted was taken already. That would have said "WARRIOR". So I settled for
"WNGWRIR" . Not as obvious as I would like but better than nothing. (limit of 8 Characters)"

Great minds think alike, I went with a slightly different version.. :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

Stevearino

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 16, 2016, 10:41:49 AM
"Yes. That would have been a good one. The plate I wanted was taken already. That would have said "WARRIOR". So I settled for
"WNGWRIR" . Not as obvious as I would like but better than nothing. (limit of 8 Characters)"

Great minds think alike, I went with a slightly different version.. :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

Yes. I think I would agree. Yes indeed. :yesnod:

Charger_Fan

Congrats on finally being able to register it, Steve! :cheers:

I like your fuel filler tube fix, that looks like it will function much better than the hose.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Stevearino

Quote from: Charger_Fan on September 17, 2016, 05:35:30 PM
Congrats on finally being able to register it, Steve! :cheers:

I like your fuel filler tube fix, that looks like it will function much better than the hose.

Thanks Charger_Fan. I gotta say I am relieved to have replaced it with something more substantial.

billssuperbird

Stevearino

Quote from: Xenon on September 27, 2016, 12:35:43 AM
Posted on MSN news.................

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/srt8-daytona-clone-is-done-but-nc-won%E2%80%99t-let-him-drive-it/ss-BBwyFvH

That's kind of crazy. Thanks for the link.

Quote from: billssuperbird on September 27, 2016, 11:30:43 AM
The car looks Great :2thumbs:

Thanks Billssuperbird.

Here is a little video of the car out on the road for just the second time. The first time I had some air in the coolant system and 5 miles out I spiked the water temp gauge. I bled it off and that seems to have done the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIkCBnmFDDk

Hemi Runner

Nothing like going on that first ride in your own creation! Cool video!