News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on January 31, 2015, 04:53:46 PM
Details.....details......

So many little things needed to end up with a nicely finished car.

No doubt this car will be better then nice when finished. :2thumbs:

That's if I don't run out of gas and end up doing the paint work with a roller. :lol:

held1823

Quote from: Stevearino on January 31, 2015, 05:24:41 PM

That's if I don't run out of gas and end up doing the paint work with a roller. :lol:

you mean it won't get a vinyl wrap like the ones at work?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Stevearino

Quote from: held1823 on January 31, 2015, 05:50:41 PM

you mean it won't get a vinyl wrap like the ones at work?
:scratchchin:

FJ5WING

amazing work Stevearino
I really enjoy following along and wishing I had half the talent and patience.
wingless now, but still around.

Stevearino

Quote from: FJ5WING on January 31, 2015, 06:45:07 PM
amazing work Stevearino
I really enjoy following along and wishing I had half the talent and patience.
Thank you . I am just happy someone finds this at all interesting.

JB400

Stevearino

Charger-Bodie

Extremely nice,clean work Steve . That's going to be an awesome Daytona.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Stevearino

tsmithae

I really like the detail you put into the trunk.   :2thumbs:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Troy

I don't post in this thread a lot but I follow it religiously. Excellent work! It's an amazing car. Even if I had the skills to do the work I think I'd still miss most of the little things.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Hemidog

What Troy said. I check this thread every other day, looking forward to new pictures  :popcrn:

Stevearino

Quote from: tsmithae on February 01, 2015, 12:17:02 AM
I really like the detail you put into the trunk.   :2thumbs:
Thanks tsmithae. The fun part for me is trying to blend everything together. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not so much.

Quote from: Troy on February 01, 2015, 10:53:06 AM
I don't post in this thread a lot but I follow it religiously. Excellent work! It's an amazing car. Even if I had the skills to do the work I think I'd still miss most of the little things.

Troy

Believe me from past experience that the first time I take it on the road about a dozen things I forgot will make themselves immediately know. :eek2:

Quote from: Hemidog on February 01, 2015, 01:18:35 PM
What Troy said. I check this thread every other day, looking forward to new pictures  :popcrn:
Man , That's a lot of pressure. I don't work that fast. Maybe every other week would be more realistic but thanks for the interest.

Well I decided since I was working in the back of the car I would tackle modifying the rear bumper. I wanted to bring it in closer to the body both front to rear and side to side. I puzzled over how to modify the standard mounts and decided to throw them over board. I set some long bolts in place where the rear bumper mounts through the rear panel. I then cut the heads off. I drilled out the bumper. (No nice Charger bumpers were harmed in this modification) and slid it over the bolts until it was as close to the rear pan as I wanted and then I welded it up and cut off the excess. I removed the bumper and welded up the back side and all of the now un needed bolt holes.

Stevearino

Next I trimmed the sides of the bumpers off and removed about 3/8" from the center section on each side and then re-attached the ends.  I pretty happy with the results. I was going to close the metal work in a little bit more around the corners but I think I will keep the spacing the way it is.

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

moparstuart

brush  use a brush ,  the brush marks will be awesome
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Hemi Runner

I like the bumper rework. Very nice. Would it be pleasing to the eye to reduce the amount of 'dead space' in between the bumper and the tail panel at the top of each end? Either up with the bumper end or down with the sheet metal or a little of each?

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Stevearino on January 19, 2015, 08:02:16 PM
. And before anyone asks I won't be leaving what looks like rocket motors for exhaust. The resonator cans are way too big and hang to low so I will have to do some re routing to get  everything closer to the bottom of the car. Hopefully eliminating the afterburners won't make the car sound funky.

If you're talking about what I call "suitcases" right at the exhaust tip, removing them won't change the sound too much.  It gave my Magnum a more throaty sound.  The 1st mod was removing mine & adding chrome tips.

I don't know about '06 but in '05 you can remove the round headlight switch knob & file off a nubbin so the dial turns to the left of "off" one position.  Boom...automatic headlights.  2nd mod.
Imo, the Dodge rigs should have the opportunity to have the bells & whistles like their Chrysler counterpart to begin with.  It just seems like for instance the switch just cheapens the brand.   :shruggy:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Montreal Wing Car

The headlight trick works on 05-07, they modified the switch in 08...
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/16999-FREE-Auto-Headlights-(no-parts-needed)

Lots of good stuff in the "knowledge"section for new LX owners!
Keep up the great work, I am one of the MANY people watching, but not necessarely commenting!

Ben

Stevearino

Quote from: garner7555 on February 07, 2015, 08:31:16 PM
Bumper looks awesome!
Thanks. I thought of doing a mod like the F&F Charger where the bumper is molded in but when I saw it on that car I wasn't that crazy about it

Quote from: moparstuart on February 07, 2015, 09:04:10 PM

brush  use a brush ,  the brush marks will be awesome

:lol:

[/quote]
Quote from: Hemi Runner on February 08, 2015, 10:50:52 AM
I like the bumper rework. Very nice. Would it be pleasing to the eye to reduce the amount of 'dead space' in between the bumper and the tail panel at the top of each end? Either up with the bumper end or down with the sheet metal or a little of each?
I was going to leave it as is but I am now leaning towards what you just described. Probably will close the sheet metal down a bit towards the top of the bumper ends.

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 08, 2015, 04:20:48 PM
. And before anyone asks I won't be leaving what looks like rocket motors for exhaust. The resonator cans are way too big and hang to low so I will have to do some re routing to get  everything closer to the bottom of the car. Hopefully eliminating the afterburners won't make the car sound funky.

If you're talking about what I call "suitcases" right at the exhaust tip, removing them won't change the sound too much.  It gave my Magnum a more throaty sound.  The 1st mod was removing mine & adding chrome tips.

I don't know about '06 but in '05 you can remove the round headlight switch knob & file off a nubbin so the dial turns to the left of "off" one position.  Boom...automatic headlights.  2nd mod.
Imo, the Dodge rigs should have the opportunity to have the bells & whistles like their Chrysler counterpart to begin with.  It just seems like for instance the switch just cheapens the brand.   :shruggy:
That's pretty cool about the headlight switch. I will have to look at that. As far as the exhaust I am talking about the  7" diameter resonators  just ahead of the exhaust tips. I know the tips act as a resonator too but I was going to keep them.

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on February 08, 2015, 07:08:43 PM
The headlight trick works on 05-07, they modified the switch in 08...
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/16999-FREE-Auto-Headlights-(no-parts-needed)

Lots of good stuff in the "knowledge"section for new LX owners!
Keep up the great work, I am one of the MANY people watching, but not necessarely commenting!

Ben

I haven't really got too far into the LX end of this car yet except to remove and replace crash damaged parts but eventually I will have to learn more about these rigs. Thanks for the link. That was a great save you gave me before on the shifter mechanism. I can't believe that a car that cost this much brand new could have such a weak link that could leave you stranded like that small plastic shifter cam. Thanks again for your help Ben.

69bronzeT5

Feel free to PM me if you have any LX questions. I'm pretty based in the LX/LC world. I used to have a 2005 Magnum R/T as well and now own my 2008 Challenger SRT8.

:cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Stevearino

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 08, 2015, 11:45:13 PM
Feel free to PM me if you have any LX questions. I'm pretty based in the LX/LC world. I used to have a 2005 Magnum R/T as well and now own my 2008 Challenger SRT8.

:cheers:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 08, 2015, 04:20:48 PM
. And before anyone asks I won't be leaving what looks like rocket motors for exhaust. The resonator cans are way too big and hang to low so I will have to do some re routing to get  everything closer to the bottom of the car. Hopefully eliminating the afterburners won't make the car sound funky.

If you're talking about what I call "suitcases" right at the exhaust tip, removing them won't change the sound too much.  It gave my Magnum a more throaty sound.  The 1st mod was removing mine & adding chrome tips.

I don't know about '06 but in '05 you can remove the round headlight switch knob & file off a nubbin so the dial turns to the left of "off" one position.  Boom...automatic headlights.  2nd mod.
Imo, the Dodge rigs should have the opportunity to have the bells & whistles like their Chrysler counterpart to begin with.  It just seems like for instance the switch just cheapens the brand.   :shruggy:

On my old 2005 Magnum R/T, I put full SRT8 exhaust on it with the resonator/suitcase deletes. It sounded AWESOME but had some drone between 1200-1300rpm. My Challenger has full Flowmaster 40 series cat-back exhaust with the resonator/suitcase deletes and it sounds amazing. Has NO drone either.

I also did the automatic headlights upgrade. My headlight switch crapped the bed so I just replaced it with an automatic headlight switch. Being as the car had factory dual climate control, the headlights use the sensor for that to decide when to turn on or not.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Baldwinvette77