News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

After mixing the two components I poured the material into the scoop opening.
The next day I pulled the silicone out of the scoop.

Stevearino

Since the mold was pretty flexible I used some angle aluminum double face taped to some plastic to confine it.
Next I got some two part casting resin at the Hobby Lobby. (A WORD OF CAUTION HERE. THIS RESIN WOULD NOT BE SUITABLE FOR AREAS OF HIGH HEAT AND PROBABLY NOT DURABLE FOR GRILLS THAT WOULD BE IMPACTED BY DEBRIS)
Due to the way the part was molded the sides of the mold were open and I built a temporary dam on the perimeter with some silicone caulk and rubber electrical tape. I intended the first pull to be an experiment.

Stevearino

After pulling the part from the mold it turned out to be pretty good but the mold was too leaky so I trimmed up the piece and the mold an made another bathtub for the mold using angled aluminum taped to the base and hot glue to seal the corners.
After that I poured some more blue goo into the area surrounding the original mold and created a confinement for my subsequent pulls.

Stevearino

With the grill molded I bent some .035 steel into an "L" shape 1/4" by 1/8" to make a surround for the grill to be set in. I took a paper pattern from the fender scoop opening  to give me the proper shape.
After gluing the grill into the surround with some steel panel adhesive I cleaned and primed the piece and set it in the fender. It will be painted black and adhered into place with the same panel adhesive.

Montreal Wing Car

I know you had looked at the SRT hood scoop before I posted my pic, but in my mind, I'll choose to believe I had an influence and that there is a part of me on the car! :icon_smile_cool:
It looks great!

Ben

Stevearino

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on March 29, 2016, 06:19:07 PM
I know you had looked at the SRT hood scoop before I posted my pic, but in my mind, I'll choose to believe I had an influence and that there is a part of me on the car! :icon_smile_cool:
It looks great!

Ben

I in point of fact did not consider the SRT hood scoop insert. It was indeed your suggestion along with others that prompted the my reconsideration of what to do in the area of the fender scoops. So you may rightfully lay claim to the idea. :2thumbs:

Lighthorseman

While I'm more of one to merely lurk...and observe in quiet awe, I just HAVE to put my two cents worth in here.

That is absolutely outstanding.  Although my "Birdible" project is still years away from fruition, I am keeping this idea in mind and running with it.  That is just so cool.  Kudos to Montreal Wing Car for the idea - and to you, Steve, for the result.

To you both...   :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:   ...and thanks.

Quick question - did you have to bond a couple of layers together to get the required height?

cdr

:o   WOW!!!  more amazing skill ,   looks GREAT!!    :2thumbs:  :coolgleamA:    :2guns:   :woohoo:    :buff:    :notworthy:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Patronus

Does look good  :cheers:
Using a 3D printer comes to mind too.  :scratchchin:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Cha11engerD

I must say, the new grill inserts look fantastic; much better than what you had before. Man, I can't wait to see this thing finished! :2thumbs:

funknut

This thread just keeps getting better.

:2thumbs:

held1823

is there anything you cannot do, fabrication wise?

"wow" sounds like an understatement, when it comes to the creativity on display in this car.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

remta1

Quote from: Stevearino on March 29, 2016, 06:32:27 PM
Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on March 29, 2016, 06:19:07 PM
It looks great!

Ben

I in point of fact did not consider the SRT hood scoop insert. It was indeed your suggestion along with others that prompted the my reconsideration of what to do in the area of the fender scoops. So you may rightfully lay claim to the idea. :2thumbs:
yay me too ....... :lol:  we knew you could do better and then you you just keep blowing us away with your skills . :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hemidog

70Sbird

Holy Shit.....That's amazing creativity and work!!!! :cheers:

Scott Faulkner

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

XS29L9B2

very nice work my friend your work is always amazing
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Baldwinvette77

I had nothing against the old grilles, but thats even better!  :coolgleamA:

Charger_Fan

That was an ingenious way of making your own grille, and it looks fantastic! I am very impressed. :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

71_Charger_R/T

Once again. you took it to that level!  I am ever amazed with your ingenuity and talent! I LOVE THIS THREAD!

Stevearino

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Unlike the gas fill door in the quarter panel I was not unhappy with the flat grill screen but this is an improvement. That's the beauty of doing this project where others can see it as it goes along. You have more than one set of eyes on the details.

To Lighthorseman. Yes I needed to glue two castings together to create one grill large enough to fill the opening height wise.

To held1823 Yes. There is quite a bit I am embarrassed to say I don't know how to do fabrication wise. I never learned how to gas or tig weld so I can't weld aluminum. I don't know how to properly work milling equipment which has stifled a couple of ideas. I have never molded large fiberglass panels. I don't know how to properly make carbon fiber panels which again squashed some ideas I have had in the past. So yes.There is plenty I can't do fabrication wise.Thanks for thinking that I have it all covered though. I am a bit of a BS artist.

held1823

Quote from: Stevearino on March 30, 2016, 07:03:26 PM
Thanks for thinking that I have it all covered though. I am a bit of a BS artist.

that statement is a work of art, my friend. lol
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Daytona Guy

You are a fine Boy Scout :)

Dane

rapidtransitrick