News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger AMD quarter skins space between valance corner and quarter panel

Started by khunter68, June 10, 2013, 08:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khunter68

Hello guys, im restoring a 68 charger that ive had since 1984!! Ive purchased quarter skins from AMD and I had a pair of valnce corner pieces that i got from autobody specialties a couple of years back. Anyway I started by cutting out the rear valance and replacing it with a new valance, as well as grafting in a piece of the outer wheel well. Im also doing the usual trunk extensions and trunk etc. ive temporarily clamped the rear valance in place and the corner and the grafted outer whell well. I removed a previosly installed quarter skin so im able to lay the new skins in place to check fitment. I have a gap between the rear of the quarter panel and the corner valance piece that starts out great but as you go down towards the bottom of the quarter panel the gap widens to about 1/2 an inch. I did a search on rear valance and somebody had posted a picture of a pie cut the was made in the rear of the quarter panel to weld in a piece to fill the gap. Is this my only/best option? Are all of the quarter skins coming this way from AMD? I also found another article on the internet were it looks like the guy added metal to the corner piece to fill the gap. Any comments and or posts on the subject on how to fix this will be appreciated. Its raining cats and dogs here at the moment so I cant take pictures till it clears up. Thanks in advance..

Patronus

They're gonna take some work, thats a tricky part of the car. All you can do it mock up the parts and then make em fit.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

NHCharger

You can find several threads on this problem. Seems like it's hit or miss. I'm restoring a 68. Previous owner put on goodmark quarters. They didn't even attempt to line up with the original valance corner, just mudded it in and left it for me to fix. ::)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ryan

Cut the quarter panel, that's where the issue is. My AMD corners where perfect compared to the originals.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

six-tee-nine

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

khunter68

Thanks for the info guys and that link was perfect and exactly what i was looking for, and although my corner piece is not AMD the gap is exactly like you guys have pictured, thank you so much for the link and the info!!  Im having a new patio installed in my house and I had to cut off the electric to run the wires under the new patio so my power is off in the garage but as soon as its restored Ill post some pics thanks again..

khunter68

Another question does the Rear valance get welded to the rear crossmember along the bottom underneath?

Ryan

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Quote from: khunter68 on June 12, 2013, 09:47:34 PM
Another question does the Rear valance get welded to the rear crossmember along the bottom underneath?

Yes. It gets a couple spot welds on each side and then a few more spots on each tab towards the middle.  If you have a goodmark valance you will not have these tabs.

2014 viper TA