News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

outside venting

Started by poppa, June 09, 2013, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

69 Charger. When I wash it ,or get caught in some showers , the water drips through the cowl (I think that's what it is called ,behind hood ,in front of windshield ) and down through the vents inside all over my new carpet. Did I miss something in reassembly???
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

green69rt

The cowls should drain on the sides, maybe the hoes are plugged.   Not unusual.  I'll try to find some pics.  Leaves and other crap are always a problem.

Ghoste

Wiper pivots are a bad spot too.  The seals wear out over tie.

green69rt

Here's a pic of what is under your cowL.  Look thru the thread and you'll see stuff.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54582.100.html

green69rt

Here's a pic of the drain hole

Ghoste

And you may have to resort to laying under there with a light while someone puts a little water up top with a hose.

poppa

Is it the "gap" in about the middle of the pic?

Ghoste

green69rt

Quote from: poppa on June 10, 2013, 07:40:32 AM

I cropped the first pic....

poppa

Thank you. I'll look tonight when I get home.

twodko

X2 wiper pivot gaskets
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

poppa

Quote from: twodko on June 10, 2013, 11:40:01 PM
X2 wiper pivot gaskets

Those are new ,hope they don't leak.

Ghoste

John_Kunkel

Wiper pivots won't leak into the vents, they'll leak directly onto the floor.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

I would never rule out anyplace water could work its way into.

VegasCharger

Quote from: poppa on June 10, 2013, 07:40:32 AM

Kinda like the one in your avatar LOL

poppa

Well I finally got to check this. Nothing is plugged. Now what can I do??? I could stick my little finger in there and found nothing. Actually , it looks like you would have awful lot of water in there as they (duct work) seem like they are about 3/4 of an inch tall. Thanks

squeakfinder

I've had this problem too. Have somebody take a garden hose with a trickle of water and slowly work there way upward.
  You'll need to have your head under the dash. As soon as you see water tell your helper to stop moving upward.
On mine, the water was getting in at the bottom of the windshield gasket at the corners under the trim.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

green69rt

I use a garden sprayer with just water to test my seals.

Ghoste

Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery when doing this too.

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on June 30, 2013, 12:31:26 PM
Wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery when doing this too.

Uhhh...yeap!

NHCharger

On my 72 someone replaced the passenger side bolt on the top of the back edge of the fender with a bolt so long that the tip penetrated the cowl area. When it rained the water would drip out of the vent on to my wife's feet.
I'm currently working on a 68 and while working on the cowl area noticed a small hole directly under the spot where the bolt goes to hold the back of the fender-what are the odds on that ::)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

1974dodgecharger

mine is the same way when I go wash the car the water somehow leaks into the floor pan area of the driver seat mainly nowhere else.  I put in new floor pans whole new front to back and rust just develops there at the driver and gas pedal area. I just POR15 it so that water does not attack the new metal anymore just need to find the leak.

Ghoste

I would do it sooner than later.  Wherever its getting in at there is still a fair distance to travel before it gets to your floor and there are a lot of other things that can suffer water damage between the two points.

green69rt

I small window leak (maybe not so small) at the lower driver side window on my old car ate up the edge of the dash almost to the VIN tag, part of the upper cowl under the windshield, the floor, the firewall and the bracing under the floor.  Probably happened over some years but it's nothing to procrastinate doing.

poppa

Oh yea. It's the new windshield gasket , told the wife to slowly use a small amount of water....that didn't happen. Pissing in all over and at a good rate too.  :brickwall:

Ghoste

Did you install new glass or the oem windshield?

squeakfinder

Well, at least you narrowed it down. Did you tar things down with that nasty 3M winshield sealant? I had to pile it up pretty thick in the corners. I've seen other stuff used now days but can't think of the name of it.
      Would help if these cars were built worth a shit in the first place.

Ghoste

A lot of the replacement glass is thinner too which doesn't help sealing.

squeakfinder

Yep. I've seen that posted somewhere around here. I have a replacement windshield with an old seal.

poppa

Original glass. I'm going to see if the guy that painted it wants to tackle this. I just see myself bend the trim or breaking the glass.

Ghoste

At least you've found where the problem is, I hope you find what needs to be done to rectify it.

fy469rtse

Quote from: Ghoste on June 10, 2013, 06:09:51 AM
And you may have to resort to laying under there with a light while someone puts a little water up top with a hose.
the factory's use food dye in with water so shows up better with a light , wiper pivots

fy469rtse

Quote from: green69rt on June 09, 2013, 09:04:29 PM
Here's a pic of the drain hole
. Again Mitch , love your work , that car is going to be better than new , wished I lived right next door ,