News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firecore plug and play distributor..Firefighter

Started by GPULLER, June 12, 2013, 11:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPULLER

Figured I'd start a new topic and not hijack ottawamerc's thread about the MSD ready to run.

I've been debating on which ignition to get.  I'm running an old MP electronic kit from 20 years ago.  My 440 has an equally old MP 284/484 purple cam.  Problem I have is it wants lots of initial timing, like 15-20deg.  If set it like that I'll have crazy amount of total timing and the rattles will start.  Only way to limit the mechanical on this old dist is to weld and grind.  I'd rather put it in the trash and find something more tuner friendly.

Ron mentioned the Firecore Plug and Play dist, have looked for them for pricing/info and have not found any. Couldn't see any info on the Firecore site.  Ron, you say it has as much or more adjustablity like an MSD?  Do different weight springs part of the package?  Would like to know more.  I don't run vac advance so a plug and play dist w/o vac advance might be the ticket.

Thanks!
Reed

firefighter3931

Hi Reed, the plug and play will swap right in to your existing harness and works with a chrome/orange box.  :2thumbs:

The advance mechanism is totally adjustable using stops to limit mechanical advance....no bushings like MSD.  ;) The same advance unit used by MP made by Mallory. Springs come with the distributor to custom tailor the advance curve.  :icon_smile_big:

From what i've heard the MP distributors are no longer being manufactured.....lots of QC issues lately with whoever was making them.  :P

If you don't want to run vac advance you simply leave it disconnected.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

GPULLER

Sounds much better and welding and grinding.  Plus those older MP units had some phasing problems too.  I always seem to have a low speed miss, from what I've read thats a problem with those older MP units.
Sending you a PM Ron.

Thanks!

GPULLER

Look what the FedEx guy dropped off today. 
Plan on installing it this weekend.  It will be nice to have adjust ability with the mechanical advance.
I will report back after its in the car.   :thumbs:

Thanks Ron!

kamkuda

I got a small block version and it works, just AWESOME... :2thumbs:
Really fixed some issues

GPULLER

Quote from: kamkuda on June 20, 2013, 09:00:34 PM
I got a small block version and it works, just AWESOME... :2thumbs:
Really fixed some issues

Good!  These are things I like to hear.  ha ha ha

Charger-Bodie

How much do these run? Can they be used with an msd 6al that currently has a mp elec. how about with a revinator?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Hi Brian  :wave:

Yes, it can be used with a 6al or revinator....plugs right into the MP electronic coversion harness.

Price for the billet aluminum plug and play distribtor is $165. Available with stock tan cap or black HEI cap.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69wannabe

That distributor looks nice, I really wonder bout my MP distributor and how good it really is. How hard is it to adjust or limit the advance on this plug and play distributor? There is another fire core distributor that doesn't have to have a external module box right?? Which is actually better?? I am actually looking to upgrade from the MP distributor to a more modern distributor. The plug and play would be the easiest to drop in and roll with but if the ready to run distributor is a better one I would rather have it instead. Very interested in these distributors and if they work for Ron and I read you are a dealer for these distributors they gotta be good!! :yesnod:

firefighter3931

Yes, the Firecore product line is top shelf, i wouldn't be recommending them to my friends if they weren't.  ;)

Excellent value for the dollar and a proven track record.  :2thumbs:

The Plug & Play works with a MSD or Mopar Performance orange/chrome box as well as the new rev-n-ator box. It snaps right in to the MP wiring harness and has easy mechanical advance adjustments.

The Ready to Run distributor has a built-in ECU so there is no requirement for an external box or wiring and the ballist resistor is also eliminated. Same easy mechanical advance adjustments.

It just depends what components you have on hand and might want to re-use....or it could be that you want to simplify and clean up the engine bay.

Ron

charger Downunder

Quote from: GPULLER on June 20, 2013, 08:26:19 PM
Look what the FedEx guy dropped off today.  
Plan on installing it this weekend.  It will be nice to have adjust ability with the mechanical advance.
I will report back after its in the car.   :thumbs:

Thanks Ron!

Interesting to see how it goes. I think i may have to get rid of my Mopar one.
What coil do you use with this do i have to change anything other than put it in. Ballast resistor? I have the standard Mopar performance set up with the orange box on a 440 six pack.
[/quote]

GPULLER

Got the Firecore installed yesterday. 
Checked the timing with the old MP dist, it had 20 deg of initial and 40 deg total by 3000.  It would detonate when it was warm and you hammered on the throttle.
After the Firecore was swapped out the motor liked 25 deg of initial but then I had 45 deg total at 3000.  Popped the cap off and spun the engine over to loosen the two phillips screws to adjust the mechanical advance.  At first I went the wrong way and gave it more total, back into the dist again.  This time I moved the adjustment the right way and ended up with 35 deg total by 3000.  Called it good enough, didn't change the advance springs.  It starts good with 25 deg initial, even with the car warm. Readjusted the carb, dropped the idle screw and tweaked the air bleeds.  Idles the best at 1100 rpm, when pulled into gear it doesn't want to die like before.  Went for a drive and no detonation, motor is smoother while running down the road.
Before you would have to feather the throttle or give it some choke to keep it idling, when the car was started cold.  It wouldn't idle long enough for me to drive out of the garage, get out to close the garage door without it killing.  Started it this morning and its much better, after a short time it would idle on its own.
One thing that would be helpful are some instructions on adjusting the mechanical advance.  It can be figured out but some pictures of where the adjustment screws are and which way the adjustments go to limit advance.  Plus instructions on how to change advance springs.
Anybody has questions I'd be glad to help in any way I can.
Have to say I'm impressed, glad I made the swap!    :2thumbs:
If your on the fence about the Firecore distributors I say PM Ron and get one coming.
Thanks Ron for all the great help and service!

Reed

GPULLER

Quote from: charger Downunder on June 22, 2013, 06:45:17 PM

Interesting to see how it goes. I think i may have to get rid of my Mopar one.
What coil do you use with this do i have to change anything other than put it in. Ballast resistor? I have the standard Mopar performance set up with the orange box on a 440 six pack.

My car had an old Mopar Performance electronic conversion kit from 1989.  The plug and play Firecore dist plugs into the existing harness and will work with any of the Mopar ECU's, and the REV-O-NATOR.  Nothing in the system will change.
If you want to eliminate the ECU and ballast you would get a Ready to run Firecore.
My car has a 440 with stock 906 heads, Torker 2 intake, Mopar Performance 284/.484 purple cam.  Coil is the big square old school yellow Accel.

firefighter3931

Thanks for the feedback Reed ! Glad to hear it's running much better for you.  :2thumbs:

That's a healthy initial setting so being able to limit the mechanical made a huge difference i'm sure  ;)

As for the instructions ; I've asked a few times but i guess nothing has happened. That's why I make myself available to anyone who might have questions. The majority of our customers are familiar with the MP distributors have no problem adjusting these because they share the same advance mechanism and spring kit. As stated above ; I'm available anytime for tech support  :coolgleamA:

Ron

GPULLER

Yeah the initial surprised me too, just kept advancing it until it was happy.  Figured 20 deg was were I was going to be.

Musicman

Reed

Just send the dizzy out to me... I'll photograph it and create a complete set of instruction.  :nana:

GPULLER

Quote from: Musicman on June 23, 2013, 05:23:30 PM
Reed

Just send the dizzy out to me... I'll photograph it and create a complete set of instruction.  :nana:

Thanks for the offer Mike but I took out my crayons and drew myself some pictures in case I need them again.  Hung them on the refrigerator so I don't lose them.

Musicman

I called your kids...
They said they could do a better job, so they took yours down. They said something about feeling embarrased everytime their friends came over.  :lol:

ChargerST

Hey Ron!

I'm thinking about upgrading my ignition system and came across the firecore distributors. I'm currently running an orange box (older USA made box) and an MP dizzy. My main goal is to get a reliable ignition system with better performance and right timing at higher rpms.

How does the ready to run distributor compare to a GM HEI or the aftermarket systems (MSD, Revnator, FBO) with a separate ignition box? I would love to get rid of my ignition box if the performance is better. Deleting the ballast and using a 12V coil should help too.
Interesting that such a small device like the GM ignition has big advantages over the huge Mopar box (at least I've been told).

Thanks

firefighter3931

Quote from: ChargerST on June 28, 2013, 11:44:12 AM
Hey Ron!

I'm thinking about upgrading my ignition system and came across the firecore distributors. I'm currently running an orange box (older USA made box) and an MP dizzy. My main goal is to get a reliable ignition system with better performance and right timing at higher rpms.

How does the ready to run distributor compare to a GM HEI or the aftermarket systems (MSD, Revnator, FBO) with a separate ignition box? I would love to get rid of my ignition box if the performance is better. Deleting the ballast and using a 12V coil should help too.
Interesting that such a small device like the GM ignition has big advantages over the huge Mopar box (at least I've been told).

Thanks

ChargerST,

If you're looking to simplify things under the hood it doesn't get any easier than a FireCore Ready to Run distributor. The performance is outstanding with rock solid timing to 8000 rpm as tested on a dyno. No ballist resistor and no external box + wiring. Makes life easy  ;)

If you wanted to run an external box the plug & play will work great with a rev-n-ator box or MSD box. I personally like the MSD for the multispark feature because my stuff tends to run on the edge. For milder builds the Rev-n-ator seems like a descent option but you're still stuck using a ballist resistor, if that is a concern.  :scratchchin:

There is also a mechanical distributor available that has no vacuum advance and it does require an external box like MSD/Mallory/Crane etc....

As for the GM HEI style distributors, i'm not a fan. They are a pain to install and their larger physical size causes interference with heads and/or valvecovers, requiring grinding. The FireCore distributors work with any head/valvecover combination and are the same dimensions as a stock unit.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Musicman

Good advice from Ron as usual.  :2thumbs:
If your looking to get rid of the Ballast Resistor, there is also the HRR688 ignition sold by FBO which does away with the Ballast Resistor. Just another option...

http://4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

ChargerST

Thanks guys!
Since my engine is putting out around 400 hp I doubt that need the multispark feature. Cleaning up the engine bay sounds good! I guess I'm sold on the ready to run unit!
For the unlikely event that the ignition module in the distributor goes bad what are my options?

firefighter3931

Quote from: ChargerST on June 28, 2013, 03:28:25 PM
Thanks guys!
For the unlikely event that the ignition module in the distributor goes bad what are my options?

Send it back to Firecore and we'll replace it  ;)

Ron

GPULLER

Just got a email newsletter from Mancini.  Looks like they sell a electronic conversion kit with a Firecore dist.
They got the wrong pic up but all else looks good.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/marafieldico.html

Musicman

That's nice, but it still comes with an Orange box   :flush:  :lol:
:misbehaving:

Canadian1968

Little confused . I may just be miss reading.  The first couple post I read said that the firecore rtr will work perfect with a mopar orange ECU . Then I read that the distributor does not require a ballast or ECU??!

Can someone clear it up???

If it does not require the ECU or ballast , all the wires currently under the hood are not needed ???

Musicman

The Firecore dizzy is available in more than one form, to suite the needs and requirements of the consumer.

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 22, 2013, 11:26:46 AM
The Plug & Play works with a MSD or Mopar Performance orange/chrome box as well as the new rev-n-ator box. It snaps right in to the MP wiring harness and has easy mechanical advance adjustments.

The Ready to Run distributor has a built-in ECU so there is no requirement for an external box or wiring and the ballist resistor is also eliminated. Same easy mechanical advance adjustments.

It just depends what components you have on hand and might want to re-use....or it could be that you want to simplify and clean up the engine bay.

Ron

RECHRGD

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 29, 2013, 06:59:11 AM
Quote from: ChargerST on June 28, 2013, 03:28:25 PM
Thanks guys!

Send it back to Firecore and we'll replace it  ;)

Ron

Can the module be purchased separately?  I've been running a Mallory Unilite for many years and always keep a spare module with me.  Not having that option would concern me.
13.53 @ 105.32

red79

kamcuda mentioned above that he's running a smallblock version of the firecore unit, but I don't see any listed on the firecore website. Is there an LA version of either their plug&play or ready-to-run distributors?

firefighter3931

Quote from: red79 on February 12, 2014, 10:14:43 PM
kamcuda mentioned above that he's running a smallblock version of the firecore unit, but I don't see any listed on the firecore website. Is there an LA version of either their plug&play or ready-to-run distributors?

Hey Red, there are billet ready to run & billet plug and play models available for the LA smallblocks. Send me a pm for details  ;)

Ron

Nacho-RT74

it does use the stock pick up coil, right? ( available everywhere )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

firefighter3931

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 13, 2014, 09:05:25 AM
it does use the stock pick up coil, right? ( available everywhere )

Yes, the stock pickup fits the Firecore distributor.  :yesnod:

Ron

fizz

Since I have never done it before, can anyone direct me to instructions for adjusting or limiting full advance. I have a Firecore dust with a revenator box. Mondays project

myk

When you take your cap off and look into the guts of the distributor, past the rotor you will see the advance plates; there will be two of them.  On the plates you will find a Phillips head screw that will move back or forth depending on where you want the advance or retard to be.  Problem is I forget which way to move the screws in order to add or subtract advance.  Another thing is, to do this adjustment you will have to remove the distributor.  I'd try to take a picture for you but it's too late and wet outside to do it.  Does anyone have pictures? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

XH29N0G

Can I get a clarification of something I think I understand from reading the first part of this thread. 

It looks like the Firecore distributor could be set up with less mechanical advance than the bushing-limit-type settings on the MSD which only lets you drop to 18 degrees total advance. 

What are the range of mechanical advance limits that can be set with the screws on the Firecore distributors?

I don't want to lock out my distributor, but I would like to have a mechanical advance less than 18 degrees so I can work with pump gas and let the engine idle at the timing where it idles best. 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

firefighter3931

The mechanical advance is infinitely adjustable.....from locked out all the way to 30* mechanical advance. The beauty of it is the simplicity of the design and the ease of adjustment.  :icon_smile_big:

The MSD's bushing arrangement does work good but it limits the user to 4 choices and many performance builds want more than 18* base timing for best performance.  :yesnod:

Ron