News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever had justa Primer Paint job at a shop? lol

Started by GoodysGotaCUDA, February 14, 2006, 01:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodysGotaCUDA

I'd like to get my Duster in primer. However, me and paint do NOT get along...at all. My ol Dart was rattle canned, looked bad from 20feet away :lol:. I was wondering if anyone has ever just maybe sanded their car, took it to Maaco and let them mask, primer it, and thats all.

Howd it come out? And how much did it cost?

Thanks
-Mike :lol:

moparguy01

get a very close packed foam roller and use roll on primer like they do in commiefornia where the VOC's are monitered. it lays out pretty flat. and if you mess that up, oh boy theres no hope for ya. ahahha

bull

There was a thread here not too long ago where a member did his own panel/rust work and then had Maaco finish it off to the tune of around $6k I think. It wasn't just primered though, it was painted too. I was just looking for the thread but couldn't find it. The paint on it looked pretty good to me.

GoodysGotaCUDA

Quote from: moparguy01 on February 14, 2006, 01:43:38 AM
get a very close packed foam roller and use roll on primer like they do in commiefornia where the VOC's are monitered. it lays out pretty flat. and if you mess that up, oh boy theres no hope for ya. ahahha

do i thin the paint?

dads_69

I did a job for a customer won time were I clear coated over the sealer. The product a painter lays down before the paint. Yeah, I thought, are you serious, he said yes I am, okay.......He chose black DP90LF and I laid 3 coats of clear on it and it looked great, Hard to tell it wasn't actuall paint vs. a sealer. Plus he saved about 400 bucks in materials alone. I say tint your primer and rock on!
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

sharpspike

somebody correct me if im wrong, but primer itself wont protect metal from rusting, its for adhesion between the paint and metal. if you drive your car in the elements  it will just rust again unless you put something over the primer.

terrible one

Quote from: sharpspike on February 15, 2006, 08:19:29 PM
somebody correct me if im wrong, but primer itself wont protect metal from rusting, its for adhesion between the paint and metal. if you drive your car in the elements  it will just rust again unless you put something over the primer.

I believe that's right, because primer is porous.

ramit

Quote from: sharpspike on February 15, 2006, 08:19:29 PM
somebody correct me if im wrong, but primer itself wont protect metal from rusting, its for adhesion between the paint and metal. if you drive your car in the elements it will just rust again unless you put something over the primer.

:iagree: :iagree: You would be better off with a rattle can paint job over the primer.  It is my understanding that primer actually absorbs moisture.

Blakcharger440

hemihead

A big 80's thing was Hot Rod Black.Just shooting a car in black primer.  :icon_smile_cool:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

73chargercali

i think he should be ok if he uses epoxy primer i ran for about nine months through the winter in my car with nothing but primer, no rust so it must be ok, knock on wood. i would never recomend spray bomb on a mopar.

Bandit72

Quote from: hemihead on February 15, 2006, 11:01:51 PM
A big 80's thing was Hot Rod Black.Just shooting a car in black primer.  :icon_smile_cool:

i love the look of flat black hot rods....

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Telvis

If you use the PPG DP primer it is an epoxy primer and will seal the metal. It has a bit of gloss to it. I could see it looking pretty good with a clear coat on it.

dodgecharger-fan

Don't forget: he lives in the desert. Not much moisture to worry about.

dkn1997

goody, just roll it baby!!  you have been on the thread over at moparts.....dive in!!!  do a B5 blue and some ralleyes and you are set!!!
RECHRGED