News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NO RUN 68 440 RT MOTOR

Started by 68rtnut, May 05, 2013, 01:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68rtnut

OK ,,   need feed back,,,   turns over ,got spark and gas ,, dist. rotates ,, all leeds go to correct plugs, checked over and over ,, correct fire order 1 8 4 3  6  5  7 2 ,,  cap on correct ,did   install new eng harness frm evans in pa. harnes is good  as   coil arcing  to  gnd,,,  may be low volts???   new bat fully chg,    new starter last year,,  could draw to starter   so   high  as to give low  volts to coil ??   one charger thats beating me up :brickwall:    any and all input   please    THANKS

John_Kunkel

Is this a new setup or did it run OK before some changes?

Have you used a timing light to be sure that the #1 plug is firing near TDC on the #1 cylinder?  IOW, the wires and cap might be correct but it's not firing on the correct cylinders.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68rtnut

changed points and condensor     nos  inthe box mopar,,  ran ,,set dwell ,,  and timing ,,ran fine ,,,then this is the point it   would not  start  after   install   nos  mopar   cap  and rotor,,   checking  for correct fireing order,,   put old cap and rotor   back on ,,,,still  no  go ,,,but checked corrrect fire seq many times and still no go ,,, then ohm and continunitiy test to the mopar date  coded repro wires all   eight  check  normal WOW WTF now every  thing is SNAFU   BIG  TIME<<<< ready to make this MOPAR  FUBAR  :RantExplode: ,,,  JUST KIDDING :D    THANKS FOR EVERYONES  INPUT :think: :chatting:

68rtnut

USED OLD MOTOR MANUAL,,OLD CHILTON MANUAL AND 68 DODGE SERVICE MANUAL FOR ILLUSTRATION AND ORIENTATION  OF CAP TO CLY LOCATION IN REF.  TO  440  BLOCK AND DIST.. HOLD DOWNS FOR CAP AND THE REF , POINT,,   ALL 3  MANUALS  ARE IN AGREEMENT,,,,,ALSO 1968 SUN TUNE  UP  CHART FOR 68 DODGE W/440.  WOW GOTA BE SOMETHING TIMING WISE AND YES USED INDUCTIVE PICK UP TIMING LIGHT TO SET TIMEING OFF  OF #1CYL :scratchchin:

bobfist

Ballast resistor?
What i can understand it wont start if its broken, just cranking.
Havent happend to myself so i can not be sure
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

projectanimal

When you first went to start did you put a little gas straight in carb?  You may have an airlock and need to prime the carb to get it flowing... :shruggy:
northwest CT

68rtnut

yes tried once, the more I think   well  lets just say some how some way  timing or fire order is not right,,   but cannot find exact fix  :icon_smile_question:

projectanimal

Quote from: 68rtnut on May 05, 2013, 09:36:22 PM
yes tried once, the more I think   well  lets just say some how some way  timing or fire order is not right,,   but cannot find exact fix  :icon_smile_question:

Did you trace each plug wire from distributor to plug to make sure none of them got crossed?  I can take a picture of my cap tomorrow with the number one marked, if that will help...  :shruggy:
If not.... Drink a few beers and stare at it for at least a day!   :smilielol: :cheers:
northwest CT

68rtnut

a pic would be great,,  THANKS :cheers:

projectanimal

Hope this helps!   :cheers:

marked plug wire #1 with green tape. 
northwest CT

JB400

Did you also go in the right direction on your firing order?  BB go counter clockwise.  SB go clockwise.

How about all your engine grounds?

68rtnut

grounds checked,,   ccw  for BB,, thanks for pics,,will  run  sooner  or  later

projectanimal

northwest CT

68rtnut

tested fuel pump  outlet//low press.,,new carter pump going in this weekend,, what do you guys think about the fuel vapor seperator that is downline   from  pump,,,,,   should  I   put a in line  filter instead...?????

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 06, 2013, 09:11:32 AM
Did you also go in the right direction on your firing order?  BB go counter clockwise.  SB go clockwise.

Better check this

Paul G

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 12, 2013, 11:11:02 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 06, 2013, 09:11:32 AM

Better check this

If still no start after doing above things. Pull a plug and see if it is wet, it should be wet if it is getting gas and not firing. Next with the plug wire connected on the plug hold the plug against ground, like the exhaust manifold or something and watch it fire, should be a nice strong arc.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

472 R/T SE

I've had a brand new vapor separator be junk.  Bypassed it temporarily & it fired.

david hunt

Timing chain is shot or it jumped timing. :brickwall:

68rtnut

Quote from: skip68 on May 12, 2013, 10:49:04 AM
180% out?   
:woohoo:   THAT   WAS IT :woohoo:    WOW,,,all  that work and finnally I can take to cruises not show  car   just a nice   driver  the  way   I  like    it :D :D :D

Ghoste