News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger RT on Ebay.

Started by Dodgelover, June 20, 2013, 03:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgelover

There is a 1969 Dodge Charger RT listed on Ebay. It needs to be restored.  My husband is looking at bidding on it and I was wondering what is a good buy for a vehicle like this.  Also wondering approximately how much it would cost to restore it to original condition.  He told me it would be a good investment?  Thanks

JB400

First off, welcome to the group.  Do you have a link or some pix? :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

nvrbdn

yep, welcome to the site. and definately post a link so we can view the condition. more than the investment is the joy of driving one of these around. thats where the fun is. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Dodgelover

Thanks for the welcome!! And yes Poly, that is the car.

Daytona R/T SE

nvrbdn

everything is there. you wont be hunting for parts. that means alot of the hard part is done. can he do any of the work himself?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Brian in GA

And just so you know, the $50k isn't what it's worth, it's what it'll take to get it back to original condition.  

If he wants an investment he should buy gold.  Seriously.  

DixieRestoParts

Welcome to the site. You'll get several opinions on the subject. Here's mine for what it's worth, and I've been messing with these cars since 1982.

I looked at ebay and found one project '69 R/T. Your question depends on a few factors:

Is the car a desirable car?
  *Most 69 R/T's are, does it have cool options? Color?

Is it all numbers matching?
   *Does the engine & transmission have the same vin number on them as the title, dash vin, radiator core support, fender tag and trunk lip?

Condition of the car and components?
   *If it's a rust bucket, your restoration cost's will skyrocket. As an investment, you won't get big bucks for a poor restoration, so you can't slap it full of bondo or take other shortcuts. If it needs a ton of work and you can't do most of it yourself, you'll more than likely have more in it when it's done than you can sell it for.

My opinion is that you can buy a really nice car already done, for less than it would take to restore most project cars, and that includes the one you asked about. Even if you're doing a lot of the work yourself.  

Are you buying it just as an investment? Big mistake, again in my opinion, as unless you're very experienced you will probably not be happy with the final outcome. Now if you're buying it because you love it, that's a different story. If you've always wanted it and don't mind that it may not have a big payoff when it's done, then go for it. There is nothing like the feeling of bringing one back to life. If done properly, it can be a fun family project, going to car shows and swap meets looking for parts, helping out in the garage, etc.  Driving it !!

Anyway hope that helps, don't want to scare you, just educate you on the reality of restoring one of these great cars. The TV stuff you see is all BS.
Randy
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Dodgelover

When I read Datona's reply...I almost fainted.  Thought 50K to BUY it...lol He would have to pay someone to restore it. That's a lot of money to restore something. What would it be worth after it's restored? And what is a good buy in it's current condition?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Dodgelover on June 20, 2013, 04:25:21 PM
When I read Datona's reply...I almost fainted.  Thought 50K to BUY it...lol He would have to pay someone to restore it. That's a lot of money to restore something. What would it be worth after it's restored? And what is a good buy in it's current condition?

My estimate of $50,000 is on the conservative side, for restoration costs only, not including the purchase price of the car.

I'd recommend that you have at least another $20,000 on hand, assuming you're paying a shop to do all the work.

You'll probably need it.

And the car still won't be OEM "Correct"

If that is your goal...

Hock the house. :Twocents:

Dodgelover

What is OEM Correct? Excuse my ignorance.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looking at the tag codes they listed R4 Bright Red exterior color with C6R red interior.  This is a non-standard color combo that would not be available without the V08 color variance code on the tag. (which is not listed....would need a pic of the tag)
There are a few cars registered in the 69 Registry with this variance....pretty rare

Looking at the few pics of the car, the engine compartment red looks too dark to be R4....more like R6.

Either way it will be a very cool car when restored
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

polywideblock

Quote from: Dodgelover on June 20, 2013, 04:34:55 PM
What is OEM Correct? Excuse my ignorance.

original equipment manufacture

Homerr

Not all that loaded, but a good project for someone for the right price.  If you want a restored car then it's almost guaranteed that you'll save money buying a completed car(something like $35-50k for a '69 R/T (non-Hemi)).

As stated, R4 is Charger Red (Bright Red on non-Chargers) and R6 is Red.

QuoteE86   440-4 Barrel High Preformance
D32   H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998
XS29   
X = Dodge Charger
S = Special
29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
L9B   
L = 440 375HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
9 = 1969
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
145897   Sequence Number '145897'
R4   Paint Code: Unknown At This Time
C6R   Trim Grade/Style/Color
C = Charger
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
R = Red
R6   Upper Door Frame: Unknown At This Time
918   Date Built: 9 / 18 / 1968
079235   Order Number: 079235
C16   Roof Type OR Color:  Console w/ Buckets
C55   Bucket Seats
G11   Tinted Glass All
H51   Single Air /w Heater
M21   Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M31   Belt Molding 69-70
R11   Music Master Radio AM
V1W   Full Vinyl Top - White
V88   Delete Transverse R/T Stripe
26   26 in. Radiator
END   End of Codes

http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-fender-tag-decoder.php?Code1=&Code2=&Code3=&Code4=&Code5=&Code6=&Code7=&Code8=&Code9=&Code10=&Code11=&Code12=R11&Code13=V1W&Code14=V88&Code15=26&Code16=END&Code17=&Code18=C16&Code19=C55&Code20=G11&Code21=H51&Code22=M21&Code23=M31&Code24=R4&Interior=C6R&Code25=R6&DateCode=918&OrderNum=079235&Code26=E86&Code27=D32&Vin1=XS29&Vin2=L9B&Vin3=145897&vin=XS29L9B145897&Submit=Decode

ws23rt

Quote from: Dodgelover on June 20, 2013, 04:25:21 PM

50K is a lot of money when you consider that most of it won't come back when you part with the car down the line.
These cars for most of us are a hobby not an investment. If your husband were to do most of the work himself he would save money and enjoy the car more fully when it's done. I am sure most here would agree that the personal hands on investment adds a lot to enjoying the finished car.
If that is not going to happen than the best way to go would be to find a nice driver/ finished car. If you shop well you could find something to enjoy and return your money when or if you need to back out later.
Folks like us that fix problem cars have something wrong inside that allows for ignoring rational thinking and logic.

polywideblock

if your just wanting to spend some money and have a nice driver e.g. don't want to do the work yourself I'd be looking at something like this   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dodge-Charger-RT-440-Automatic-PS-PB-Console-HAVE-TO-SEE-THIS-ONE-/111101681403?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true    :Twocents: you'd be at least 10k better off

1974dodgecharger

theres your problem you said INVESTMENT.  go into stocks, bonds , etc.

Quote from: Dodgelover on June 20, 2013, 03:52:12 PM
There is a 1969 Dodge Charger RT listed on Ebay. It needs to be restored.  My husband is looking at bidding on it and I was wondering what is a good buy for a vehicle like this.  Also wondering approximately how much it would cost to restore it to original condition.  He told me it would be a good investment?  Thanks

Ghoste

Yes, you have to buy with your eyes open and know that it CAN be a good investment.  It can just as easily turn out to be a horrible one so buy it first because you love the hobby and the cat and let the investment part of it take care of itself.

moparstuart

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 20, 2013, 04:39:39 PM
Looking at the tag codes they listed R4 Bright Red exterior color with C6R red interior.  This is a non-standard color combo that would not be available without the V08 color variance code on the tag. (which is not listed....would need a pic of the tag)
There are a few cars registered in the 69 Registry with this variance....pretty rare

Looking at the few pics of the car, the engine compartment red looks too dark to be R4....more like R6.

this one is most likely in the registry but it is one of the few  very cool combo     MOPARHOUNDS   car
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: polywideblock on June 20, 2013, 06:32:16 PM
if your just wanting to spend some money and have a nice driver e.g. don't want to do the work yourself I'd be looking at something like this   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dodge-Charger-RT-440-Automatic-PS-PB-Console-HAVE-TO-SEE-THIS-ONE-/111101681403?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true    :Twocents: you'd be at least 10k better off

Lots of cool cars coming out of the wood work :scope:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

It does remind me of another car.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on June 20, 2013, 07:58:09 PM
Yes, you have to buy with your eyes open and know that it CAN be a good investment.  It can just as easily turn out to be a horrible one so buy it first because you love the hobby and the cat and let the investment part of it take care of itself.

I thought most all Car guys love the 'cat' Ghoste.... :smilielol:

Good advice though. I guess if it weren't for the 'Investment' side of things, many of these cars would have been crushed, but I just can't stand it when I see this type thing happening. Agreed, Stocks and Gold are for investing. These cars are for the Hobby. That poor R/T has prolly been passed around like a cheap hooker already, with too many 'Investors' trying to make a quick buck.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Tilar

Quote from: polywideblock on June 20, 2013, 04:05:22 PM
welcome to the site   :cheers:   is this the car  

His reply to one of the questions that was asked...

QuoteAccording to what I have been told, this car is not like a Chevy as it does not have stamps on the transmission or the motor. The 440 was mass produced and could be put in any car on the assembly line. If you can help me find the numbers, I will be glad to look again, or you are welcome to come take a look for yourself.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 20, 2013, 04:39:39 PM
Looking at the tag codes they listed R4 Bright Red exterior color with C6R red interior.  This is a non-standard color combo that would not be available without the V08 color variance code on the tag. (which is not listed....would need a pic of the tag)

I thought that it was listed on the Broadcast sheet only and not on the fender tag. At least that's what I recall on the tags I saw when I was looking at cars??  :scratchchin:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.