News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint match

Started by charger01, June 13, 2013, 11:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

I  had my car painted two years ago, and Iam to the point it is driving my crazy.  It isnt real noticeable in the pic or to others unless I point it out, but the passenger side door and the passenger side rocker panel are a lighter shade of orange than the rest of the car.  Is it possible to have this resprayed to match, or will it screw up my entire paint job?

68X426

I vote to leave it as is. I have no confidence that a match can be made that would meet your expectations. It's just never the same as the original. Unless you just hate it now, how many do-overs can you have 3,4,5 ? until you feel like they got it right? :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

charger01

I dont like your response lol, somebody else?  Its not awful, but its noticeable and drives me crazy looking at it.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 68X426 on June 14, 2013, 12:19:20 AM
I vote to leave it as is. I have no confidence that a match can be made that would meet your expectations. It's just never the same as the original. Unless you just hate it now, how many do-overs can you have 3,4,5 ? until you feel like they got it right? :Twocents:

Being a Painter I kinda agree. LEON.

charger01

not the answers I was hoping for, but I very much appreciate your replies. 

bill440rt

Just out of curiousity, but if the car was painted completely then why does the door & rocker not match?  :shruggy:

If you want a better match, then the door & rocker cannot be "panel painted". The only way to "fix" this is to have the door & rocker resprayed, and blend into the fender and quarter. Of course, there's no break-off point on the quarter, so now the painter will be going up over the roof and down the other side. You'll essentially be respraying 80% of the car.  :yesnod:

Or, put the decals, door handle, and trim on. I'll bet it'll be less noticeable when you do. It's funny how those things trick the eye. :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Silver R/T

You would have to blend into fender and quarter panel. You will never get it 100% same color, it will be blended/faded into an adjacent panel far enough so that it fools your eye to thinking it's all same color.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

charger01

The car was painted apart and looks like the door is just a shade off. As for the rocker. It looks thin and not even shiny, probably low point on and passed over with the paint gun once.

JB400

The door I think I'd leave alone.  From the pic, I can't tell the diff.  The rocker on the other hand, I would have to agree that it just needs another coat of paint.  Being the car was painted disassembled, the parts were painted with different batches of paint.  Maybe your painter can paint the rocker and make everything look right.

Mike DC

IMHO there is no way to really call it without seeing the mismatch in person.  Some mismatches are minor and others are obvious enough that a respray would be a decent idea.  But photography isn't reliable enough for the rest of us to get a sense of how different the panels are.  Some pictures can make obvious differences disappear, other pics can accentuate differences that the naked eye hardly notices in real life.

A383Wing

probably not gonna matter once you get the numbers on the door

bill440rt

Quote from: A383Wing on June 14, 2013, 03:01:52 PM
probably not gonna matter once you get the numbers on the door

That's what I'm thinking, too.  :yesnod:

From the picture that was posted I can definitely see a color difference between the two panels. And no, I don't think that's a photography glitch.
Putting the rest of the trim & stuff on will lessen the effect to some extent.
And for the rocker, have you thought about a set of repro rocker moldings? It's just a thought, and certainly cheaper and less labor intensive than having 3/4 of the car repainted.  :yesnod:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

Quote from: charger01 on June 14, 2013, 12:36:24 PM
The car was painted apart and looks like the door is just a shade off. As for the rocker. It looks thin and not even shiny, probably low point on and passed over with the paint gun once.

I always paint my car all together & don't get tape lines in jambs. That way outside is allways even & no mismatch. When you do apart, &/or on different days & different times,with different temps & humidity & viscocity & gun distance & gun adjustments, ect, ect all this can give you a mismatch, even with same batch of paint. Sometimes it works & sometimes it don't but it's like playing Russian Roulette in my opinions :Twocents: :shruggy: LEON.

Brock Lee

The orange paint sucks to touch up. You may even get it close now and then because the paints are different batches and ages have them fade differently and end up looking different down the road.