News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dual Point distributor for a Superbird?

Started by Hoser2455, June 26, 2013, 07:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoser2455

Did all Superbirds come with a Dual-Point distributor?  I have a 440 4-barrel 4 speed.

62 Max

boss429kiwi

Hi

What about 6 pack?

Hopefully dual point as I,ve been looking for one for sometime, as mine has a electronic setup.

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

hemi68charger

I know for a fact '70 440 six packs came with Prestolite dual-points.......... Now, maybe Ma-Mopar changed the recipe in '70, but in '69 440 4bbl with a 4-gear came with a Prestolite dual-point....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hoser2455

That's a real good answer I hope for the Superbirds.   I was digging around my car parts from my car, 25 years ago, and found a single point distributor. All of my other distributors are electronic from this car. This distributor does not have any numbers or ID tags on it.  I did see where six pack cars had the dual point.  Would the Daytona and the Bird be the same? Does anyone know what would be the best cleaner to make it look pretty good or like new again?  I'm going to try to get you a picture of it unless you already have one of it.  Thanks.

62 Max

70 6pk 4spd dual point on left,69 1/2 on right .Superbird 6pk 4spd  got Prestolite dual point,4 bbl 4spd got Chrysler single point.

Hoser2455

Here is a picture of mine.  Does this look like the right animal for a single point 70 440 4 barrel 4 speed Superbird?

62 Max

That is correct,I assume the tag is missing but it should be a #3438222

Hoser2455

OK, thanks.  I'm trying to get my car done here in about a month and am doing some last minute searches.

Hoser2455

Does anyone know what color the original distributor cap was then for the single point distributors.  Can I use the one from my electronic ignition?  Does anyone make the new correct colored caps for this?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hoser2455 on June 26, 2013, 10:44:04 PM
OK, thanks.  I'm trying to get my car done here in about a month and am doing some last minute searches.

Just to get you going until you find a correct distributor ( part-number-wise ), you can get single-point distributors at most autoparts stores that are reconditioned and get you going. That's what I did for my 440 4bbl auto Daytona. I went and got a Pertronix Ignitor II and installed it....... Only visual things is the addition of the red wire coming out of the distributor....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hoser2455

OK, thanks.  I was planning on getting the Pertronix II system, because it seems like it is the most reliable.  This way you don't have to butcher things up, and it would be easy to convert back to original. 

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Hoser2455 on June 26, 2013, 11:17:01 PM
Does anyone know what color the original distributor cap was then for the single point distributors.  Can I use the one from my electronic ignition?  Does anyone make the new correct colored caps for this?

Tan - Similar to the dual point...but not interchangeable. NOS on E-bay all the time.

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: Hoser2455 on June 26, 2013, 10:05:43 PM
Here is a picture of mine.  Does this look like the right animal for a single point 70 440 4 barrel 4 speed Superbird
No
all 1970 440-4bbl use the electronic vacuum advance to control the fast idle solenoid on the carb.
You need one like this to be correct.

62 Max

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on June 27, 2013, 08:30:03 AM
Quote from: Hoser2455 on June 26, 2013, 10:05:43 PM
Here is a picture of mine.  Does this look like the right animal for a single point 70 440 4 barrel 4 speed Superbird
No
all 1970 440-4bbl use the electronic vacuum advance to control the fast idle solenoid on the carb.

Sometimes old age makes you forget !! :brickwall:

pettybird

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on June 27, 2013, 08:30:03 AM

Isn't this transmission specific for 4 speed cars?  I THOUGHT I'd read that somewhere, and only one of my 'birds has one through all of the parts swapping through the years.  Is the dizzy the same part number for auto/manual? 

The distributor caps and other parts are interchangeable between single point distributors and electronic ignition units.

RealWing

Isn't this transmission specific for 4 speed cars?  I THOUGHT I'd read that somewhere, and only one of my 'birds has one through all of the parts swapping through the years.  Is the dizzy the same part number for auto/manual? 
The distributor caps and other parts are interchangeable between single point distributors and electronic ignition units.
[/quote]
The parts book shows these numbers for the distributor
440-4bbl auto/manual -3438222 - single point
440-6 bbl manual -      3438314 - dual point
440-6 bbl  - auto        2875982 - dual point
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Hoser2455

So I'm a little confused now, which isn't the first time.  The above picture I posted is or is not the correct distributor since it only has the one wire coming out of the distributor by the vacuum advance.  I have a 1970, 440, 4 barrel, 4 speed car.  The picture that Hemi_tyme posted has the two wires coming out of the vacuum advance, is this what I need.  I do have the solenoid on the passinger side of my carburetor.

62 Max

pettybird

Quote from: Hoser2455 on July 01, 2013, 12:39:28 PM
So I'm a little confused now, which isn't the first time.  The above picture I posted is or is not the correct distributor since it only has the one wire coming out of the distributor by the vacuum advance.  I have a 1970, 440, 4 barrel, 4 speed car.  The picture that Hemi_tyme posted has the two wires coming out of the vacuum advance, is this what I need.  I do have the solenoid on the passinger side of my carburetor.

there are two wires from the vacuum advance, and one more through the aluminum body for the points-to-coil wire.  So, technically, you'd need three wires.  

pettybird

Quote from: RealWing on June 29, 2013, 07:05:06 PM

The parts book shows these numbers for the distributor
440-4bbl auto/manual -3438222 - single point
440-6 bbl manual -      3438314 - dual point
440-6 bbl  - auto        2875982 - dual point

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.  I assumed there would be a different one for each transmission, like the 6bbl cars.