News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Superbird out of 41 year hibernation

Started by areibel, June 30, 2013, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnumauto

Hello all, I want to share with all of you a car that came into our shop this week in Illinois from Oklahoma.
The car is a 1970 Hemi Superbird, 4 speed, FJ5 limelight green with white bucket seat interior!!!! only 14,000 original miles.
The current owner bought it in 1972 in the condition you see here. The motor had spun a bearing and was placed in the trunk! He was told at the time that the original owner was an American Indian from North East OK and he believes that the Indian was the one who did the custom paint job on it. He was also told that the Indian had 2 of these cars, the other one being a 440 car. Does anyone remember seeing this car back then?
It is hard to tell in the pictures but the roof is painted textured red, kind of looks like a vinyl top.
The car itself is complete and numbers matching motor and transmission and the only rust to be found is the trunk floor from the engine being in there and the trunk would not close all the way.
The plan is to restore it back to its original glory and be completed by the end of 2014.

Mark from Magnum Auto Restoration, formerly Blue Star Body Works

WINGIN IT

Very cool !  :2thumbs:
Great color combo too !
Any pics of it back in the day with the retro paint job? :popcrn:

1966hemi

This find just goes to show these cars are still out there in storage. What a neat car! Cool story behind it as well.

magnumauto

I do not know if he has any pictures of it from years ago, but I will ask him.
It is hard to tell but there is a faint blue stripe that goes down the middle of the body as wide as the side scoop, I am not sure why it faded faster than the rest of the car...Maybe it was buffed off and then they added the rear blue tail stripe?
Mark

Highbanked Hauler

Its quite possible that the car got a spray on vinyl top in a can back in the day. I personally have done a few dealer cars in the 70S and  the (paint) looked marginal best.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hotrod98

I don't remember ever seeing this one. There are several valuable mopars in the Indian territory near here. I've bought a few over the years. The one thing that I don't do it is go there looking for them even though my family is from there and I'm part Choctaw Indian. I specifically steer clear of the Osage and they tend to have most of the mopars.
I tried to buy a Herb McCandless 70 Cuda near Tahlequah that had practically no miles on it. Was like a time capsule. Hated missing out on that car. I would have kept it until the day I died.
Looking forward to seeing more info on this one.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

That's wild! Man 14,000 miles and in that shape, hard to believe he has had it for this long and never done anything to it before now! Never know where these cars are! I found out the other day that there is a 10,000 mile original 69 Superbee just 5 minutes from my house one owner and he bought it from our families Dodge dealership back in 1968, was taken to the dragstrip and thats it!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

nascarxx29

Looks good .If your looking for its back history any prior owners name vin buildsheet fendertag etc
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

areibel

So it's the same guy that's held onto it for this long, since '72?  Or did someone else finally talk him out of it? 
Cool car though, I wonder what it takes to buy one that's been sitting for that long.  I can't wait to see your progress!

magnumauto

Same owner today as in 1972....He bought it a a young age, had a family, changed professions, a few other things and now can afford to brinng his baby back to its former glory!!!!!

tan top

:coolgleamA:  intresting story  , looking forward to seeing more pictures & stuff as the work progresses  :popcrn: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

rnjump

I believe I saw you hauling it eastbound on I-44 around Lebanon MO on Wednesday or Thursday. Could this be the same one? Very cool find. Tell us how you found it.

magnumauto

Yes, same car...not many others looking like this today. He left OK early Wednesday morning and made it to our place Wednesday night. Its first trip out of OK in its life. All that way on an open trailer. He said he had lots of looks and a crowd everytime he stopped. That is one of the reasons he wanted to get here in one day, wouldn't be able to sleep if it was on a trailer in the hotel parking lot all night!
Same owner today as in 1972.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: magnumauto on June 30, 2013, 01:43:51 PM
He was told at the time that the original owner was an American Indian from North East OK and he believes that the Indian was the one who did the custom paint job on it. He was also told that the Indian had 2 of these cars, the other one being a 440 car.

Obviously, he didn't spend a lot of wampum on the paint.

rob-dirt

:popcrn: Glad To See Their Still Stuff Out Their - That What I Call A Barn Find  Would Love To Have That  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

1974dodgecharger

man stories like still exist I LOVE IT and especially when they are TRUE and you can tell this is the REAL DEAL!!!!

rnjump

Quote from: magnumauto on June 30, 2013, 05:06:12 PM
Yes, same car...not many others looking like this today. He left OK early Wednesday morning and made it to our place Wednesday night. Its first trip out of OK in its life. All that way on an open trailer. He said he had lots of looks and a crowd everytime he stopped. That is one of the reasons he wanted to get here in one day, wouldn't be able to sleep if it was on a trailer in the hotel parking lot all night!
Same owner today as in 1972.
I drove mine Saturday around our town of 10,000 or so people. I have had maybe 15-20 old cars in my time but nothing draws a crowd like my Superbird. I came out of the parts store and had to wait for two different groups to take their pictures with it and then had a guy try and stop me in traffic. I would say 50% of the people wave or give me a thumbs up and at least 75% notice and stare. It can be embarrassing at times but I am enjoying it anyway. One guy told my wife it was a $300,000 car. That didn't help!

Redbird

So much more interesting as it sits than any restored car. As it sits it is history. Restored, someone will just bring pictures to put alongside a perfect carcass- another Blade Runner car.

Probably the most detailed pictures I've ever seen of a White Bucket seat S/B on the web were the pictures of the 5/50 car when it was for sale a few years ago. Unbelievable pictures if you can find a set.

pettybird

Quote from: rnjump on June 30, 2013, 11:07:53 PM
I have had maybe 15-20 old cars in my time but nothing draws a crowd like my Superbird.

That's the "well, duh" comment of the year right there.

nascarxx29

Thinks there only 4 or 5 recorded FJ5 hemi birds.Didnt see any with white interior

pettybird

Quote from: Redbird on July 01, 2013, 09:12:30 AM
So much more interesting as it sits than any restored car. As it sits it is history. Restored, someone will just bring pictures to put alongside a perfect carcass- another Blade Runner car.

Probably the most detailed pictures I've ever seen of a White Bucket seat S/B on the web were the pictures of the 5/50 car when it was for sale a few years ago. Unbelievable pictures if you can find a set.

I like the old paint jobs but I'd have to repaint a green/white car back to stock.  That's just too cool of a combo. 

Old Moparz

Let this story be a good reminder to anyone who sees an old car sitting that hasn't been restored & the owner won't sell it & says, "I'm gonna fix it up one day."     :smilielol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nascarxx29

66FBCharger

When you say it will be restored to it's original glory, do you mean it will be restored back to lime green or back to the custom paint job ?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body