News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Some Bird Details

Started by maxwellwedge, January 13, 2014, 09:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

I was asked by a member about certain details on Birds.

One was on the wing washers. They were installed prior to paint. As you can see in the pic, this example has full paint by the trunk lip edge and then the amount of paint tapers off in coverage.

Another question was the spare tire and rim for a 15" equipped Bird.

The spare was a "450" 15x7 steel "Hemi" rim. I believe the date code on mine was late Oct/early Nov....I need to verify. The tire was the same as on the vehicle...F60x15 Goodyear Polyglas....some have the tire sizing, some not. The 450 wheels are very expensive to buy when they come up for sale...but they are out there.

The other pic is the side marker housing....painted body color on this all original car.

Hope this helps!  :cheers:

TONY

good pics jim

nice trunkmat too!

maxwellwedge

Thanks Tony - and Happy New Years!

Yes - that mat is a beauty...

billssuperbird

Are Some sb marker housing bear metal.  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

All the original ones I have seen are body color.....but I haven't seen them all!  :lol:  I guess the procedure was to have them installed before paint.

TONY

yes, some just more like Jims and some less, i dont believe paint was supposed to get on the retainers, but if it did, it did
my bird has more of an overspray on it, instead of more full coverage like Jims car

maxwellwedge

billssuperbird

FJ5WING

so if the marker housing were assembled prior to paint were the lenses masked off? :shruggy:

My car had such light paint coverage I believed it to be overspray from a repair in the past. I guess I need to go back and mist the retainers and nuts. NUTZ!
wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

Jim,
Thanks for the pictures! Even the correct color for me! I also thought what a NICE trunkmat!
Another tid bit is I think all birds came with the plastic tail light covers as shown in your picture.
MJ

Wingnut426

The lenses were put on after the car was painted! :brickwall:
HEMI Daytona Convertible

FJ5WING

Now I get it!
That's why the double faced adhesive is used in addition to the plastic tangs.
wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

Jim,
Could you post a picture of your front license plate bracket? Also is there any bag for the license plate mounting hardware?
Thanks! MJ

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

That was the information that I was looking for! Here is what I found in the trunk of my Superbird. I just wanted to make sure it was the right stuff!
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

I would like to move on to the hood pins on a Superbird!
Does anyone have their original hood pin clips and laynards? I would like to know the length of the laynards and if the one end was black phosphate like on the Daytonas? Also were the pin clips D shaped like the ones on the Daytonas? In my picture the third one from the top would be the correct shape.
Thanks! MJ

BOSSOFME

Another interesting note about Superbird rear side marker lamps is that the foam bezel gasket on the outside has body color on the edges since it was installed before painting.  The rear quarter extensions were also installed before painting and there is no gasket.
1970 Superbird B5 blue w/white buckets 440/4 auto. on the column,
owned since 1982