News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Block 3 Speed manual on the tree?

Started by 1970Moparmann, July 03, 2013, 03:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Have you guys ever seen this before?  I personally have not.

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

A383Wing

no, all I have heard of is slant six & small blocks got 3-on-tree manual transmissions.

However, saying that, I have seen "ebay" & "Craigslist" cars saying that the car being sold has 3 speed on column, ant it turns out it's a 3spd auto trans they are referring to

Bryan

1970Moparmann

The car has a clutch and is claimed to be a 383 original car.  It also has a spot light on it (police), so could have been a special ordered.   

I don't need another car, but this thing is sure cool.  It's a 69 Newport.

A383Wing

well, after looking in GG's books, looks like in 70 you could get a Road Runner, Sport Satellite, Challenger with big block 383 & 3-speed trans....does not say if shifter on column or floor.

I also don't see his breakdown for eng-trans combo's for the 69 Newport..

would be neat to see fender tag...we need pics Mike

Bryan

1970Moparmann

Quote from: A383Wing on July 03, 2013, 04:40:23 PM

would be neat to see fender tag...we need pics Mike

Bryan[/color]

Bryan, here are some pictures.  Been following it for a while now.  Cool car for a C body..... Drawback is it doesn't have air conditioning.  

I have no clue what the hell is by the speedo? :shruggy:

A383Wing

looks all stock to me inside except for that spotlight handle. I don't see anything out of place

Bryan

Ghoste

Pretty sure those 70 B-body supercars with the 3 speed were all floor shift.

1970Moparmann

I'm going to try and get the Vin and fender tag info.   Could be an interesting story with this one.

Ghoste

When you think about it, that three on the tree has to be crazy rare in a C-body.

A383Wing

yea...I got a 67 Chrysler here in town that's a factory 4spd...plus we had a 64 Crown Imperial 413 factory 4spd as well

Here is a dash pic I found of Newport...this one has the clock in it...along with sunglasses

Bryan

TooMuchTime

This looks like a low-end version of the Newport. (No A/C makes me believe that.) Probably a 383, 2 barrel, and 3 speed manual on the column. That would be typical. The piece above the speedo looks like a trip odometer and 5 positions for warning lights like parking brake, door ajar, etc. I don't see the actual odometer on the speedo itself; it looks like it is all the way to the right on the piece above the speedo.

I'm in agreement with @A383Wing on this. Nothing looks out of place. I'll bet the fender tag starts off with E61 D12.

1970Moparmann

69CoronetRT

Quote from: TooMuchTime on July 04, 2013, 12:03:09 AM
This looks like a low-end version of the Newport. (No A/C makes me believe that.) Probably a 383, 2 barrel, and 3 speed manual on the column. That would be typical.
I'm in agreement with @A383Wing on this. Nothing looks out of place. I'll bet the fender tag starts off with E61 D12.

I agree. Pretty standard low end C body. Not common but they are out there.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on July 04, 2013, 08:06:30 AM
Quote from: TooMuchTime on July 04, 2013, 12:03:09 AM
This looks like a low-end version of the Newport. (No A/C makes me believe that.) Probably a 383, 2 barrel, and 3 speed manual on the column. That would be typical.

I agree. Pretty standard low end C body. Not common but they are out there.

Learn something new every day.  Thanks guys. :2thumbs:

A383Wing

looks like the actual odometer is in the far right of that light pod

this car is cool

TooMuchTime

Basic 1960s transportation. No P/S, no P/B, no A/C, nothing fancy schmancy. Probably has 4 wheel drum brakes too. Some of those big boats (properly sized vehicles to the 60s crowd!) had all of the luxury accoutrements like power windows, vinyl roof, rear window defogger, front disc brakes, AM/FM radio. Not this cruiser. This would be fun to drive because it's damn near like a time machine. This is what people could afford to buy so it's what they ordered. I would love to restore this car to its stock configuration. We see too many cars nowadays that look like a dealer's option catalog. We need to remember that the majority of cars built "back then" were like this one. And we need to have examples of them because they are what America drove.

1970Moparmann

True.  What amazes me are the cars that people drove, don't seem to be in existence anymore.

Ghoste

We drive appliances until its time to dispose of them and preserve the toys.