News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear window in backwords

Started by squeakfinder, February 23, 2006, 05:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeakfinder

O.K  

Heres my question.

I'm about to install a factory rear window in my 68. The glass as you all know is not flat but concaved.

I can't recall if that depression go's inward or outword. I think it go's inward, the dodge plymouth Chrysler desoto symbol on the bottom can be
read from the outside of the car this way.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

Then again, I just test fited the glass and it will only sit flat if the bulged side is out.

Still not sure... ???

Ghoste

I think your test fit answered your question.

squeakfinder

Seems obvious doesn't it? Just wanted to make sure. The new plastic trim on the inside sticks out just a little and wasn't sure if it was interfering.

Ghoste

To be truthful, I have never replaced any of the glass in any 2nd gen I've had but off the top of my head, I can't think of any Mopar where the glass doesn't bow outward.  Not to say there aren't any, I just can't think of an example.

moparjohn

The print is read from inside the car , and Dodge Darts rear window curved in- when they were designing the car the Executive said this can't be done- the design team had him back later with the glass in place.  When he asked how the did it-" it's a windshield in backwards"
Carl Cameron told this story on a TDC video.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Ghoste

There you go!  I figured there had to be one in all those years of production somewhere, I just couldn't think of one.  Scamps were the same weren't they?

squeakfinder

Got it installed last night. Thanks for the help,

Mike DC

Yeah, the glass bows slightly outwards on the assembled car.

It amazes me that they didn't just use a flat piece of glass for that window.  Considering how many other corners they cut on cars for a penny here & there, the rear window's convex shape seems totally unnessecary.