News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auto Recalls

Started by 73dodge, February 24, 2006, 10:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73dodge

Does any one knowthe web site that lists all the recalls that are published for a car. Not just the safety recalls but all of them the ones that the dealer issues but the general public does not have access to.

I looked on the NHTSA site but they only list the safety recalls.

I looked at alldata but they want you to pay to see that info.

The reason I ask is that between me, my father inlaw and my brother we own 3 2003 dodge caravans and all three have power steering problems. Noisy pumps and in one case a leak.

I know there is a saftey recall for the hoses and we all have had them replaced but it seems that after they replace the hoses about 2 months later the power steering pumps start making a whining noise like they are low on fluid. I have already have had my power steering pump replaced under warrenty but my father in law is having the same problem and his is out of warrenty. Since this seems to be a common problem with these cars I am looking for dealer data on this problem so my father in law can get his van fixed.

So does NE1 now where I can get recall info from?

thanks
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

66ragtop

The problem with the pumps is that they are a low velocity (pressure) pump and they cannot keep up with the demand especially low speed.  What we have found is if you replace the reservoir and flush out the fluid (ATF+4) the noise will subside.  Noise is not a safety issue hence no recall.  Line were replaced due to fire concern.  Just some info for you.

p.s.  Dodge dealer tech of over 20 +
Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

73dodge

Quote from: 66ragtop on February 24, 2006, 01:55:14 PM
The problem with the pumps is that they are a low velocity (pressure) pump and they cannot keep up with the demand especially low speed.  What we have found is if you replace the reservoir and flush out the fluid (ATF+4) the noise will subside.  Noise is not a safety issue hence no recall.  Line were replaced due to fire concern.  Just some info for you.

p.s.  Dodge dealer tech of over 20 +

66 thanks for the advice, do you have a procedure for doing the replacement and flushing the fluid? I also understand that air bubbles also need to be purged from the system how is that done?

I realize that the noise is not a safety issue but from experience after a while the noise becomes so loud that it becomes unbearable and totally annoying. Is there a TSB on this problem within DCX?

If so can you send me the bulletin and the fix for it or at least point me to location on the web as to where to find it?

If it as you say primarily a  reservoir issue I would like to have something to reference to when we take his van in for service so the dealer does not charge him for the entire steering rack and labor and then just replace the reservoir.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

RAWPWR

that was one of my complains when I bought my 99 Dakota..noisy power steering pump..not real load but noticeable. dealer changed the pump and even the box and same old noise to live with :P well I have 117,000 on the truck now and same old noise. Yours seems to be a lot worse..sorry
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

66ragtop

Hey 73, No TSB just things that I have found out myself trying to get rid of all of the complaints (they are legit).  It is a sh_tty design.  Chrysler engineering basically says oh well just tell the customer it's normal condition, yeah that always works:)  I always drain the fluid by removing the hose (either one) off of the P/S cooler (down on the cradle) and let it pour.  After reattaching the hose and clamp install the new reservoir add new ATF+4 and turn the wheel lock to lock slowly several times (engine off).  Recheck the fluid level and add a little.  It is VERY important not to overfill, it will cause the pump to cavitate, a.k.a. noise!  Start her up and go lock to lock again, check the fluid.  While running hot the fluid should be BETWEEN the two lines when full.  I hope this helps, it has a high success rate for me.  Take care and good luck :icon_smile_big:
Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

73dodge

thxs 66 i'll print this thread out and show it around

73dodge

Quote from: 66ragtop on February 25, 2006, 01:24:39 PM
Hey 73, No TSB just things that I have found out myself trying to get rid of all of the complaints (they are legit).  It is a sh_tty design.  Chrysler engineering basically says oh well just tell the customer it's normal condition, yeah that always works:)  I always drain the fluid by removing the hose (either one) off of the P/S cooler (down on the cradle) and let it pour.  After reattaching the hose and clamp install the new reservoir add new ATF+4 and turn the wheel lock to lock slowly several times (engine off).  Recheck the fluid level and add a little.  It is VERY important not to overfill, it will cause the pump to cavitate, a.k.a. noise!  Start her up and go lock to lock again, check the fluid.  While running hot the fluid should be BETWEEN the two lines when full.  I hope this helps, it has a high success rate for me.  Take care and good luck :icon_smile_big:

Yea they tried to tell me that was a "normal" noise and I blew a gasket and told them they were full of [insert appropriate adjective here]. I told them it did not make that noise when I bought it new, it only started after they did the recall and that I knew of 2 other cases that had the same issue and it was corrected after a new pump was installed. Now we just gotta convince the dealer here in Tampa where my father in law lives to fix this issue