News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone using 17x11 AR500 or VN500 wheels on their charger?

Started by Lord Warlock, July 21, 2013, 12:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Just wondering if anyone has installed 17x11 AR500 wheels on their charger or not.  And if so, what backspacking would be required with tsize with our cars?  I want to have wide rears and maybe 17x8" fronts.  Was hoping to find a 17x10, but they evidently jump from 17x9.5 to 11,  would like to duplicate the width of the L50-15s (which have an 11 inch tread width)i've had on the car for 30 years but move up to a 17 inch wheel.  Tires i think i can figure out, as i'll probably get some drag radials for the backs (doubtful it will ever be driven in rain so may as well enjoy fat rubber with good grip. 

The slots i had on it were only 6.5 inches wide and i managed to cram 11 inch wide tires on them, and they never rubbed anywhere under the car, but was always paranoid about sliding it around much, side bulge was a bit pronounced but not that bad overall. 

If not the 17x11, how about 18x11?  Do they make an 18x10? Really prefer the 17 inch over the 18,  there are some advantages to the 17 as i can use them on other cars i have around the house, all of which use the same bolt pattern and spacing.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Kern Dog

I run 18s on my car. 9" wide up front and 18x10s out back. The front has 4 3/4" backspacing and the rears have 4 7/8". The car was measured for wheels with a 66 B body axle though, and they are a slight amount narrower than a stock 68-70 B axle.

pandamarie

I have the AR500s for my 69 Daytona project, 17x9.5 with 5" BS and 17x8 with 4.5"BS. Could have gone with the 17x11 with a 5.5" BS and it would fit easy and the front I could have gone with the 9.5"with 4.5" BS easy.
I have magnum force tubular coil over suspension though. I will post some pics a little latter. With the wheels I have I could have gone with a 305-40-17 on the rear and 245-40-17 up front.
Hoping to have the car finished by the end of August.

Lord Warlock

Thanks, that is helpful, I can't help it, I've been looking at aftermarket wheels for decades and the wheels i like the most are the magnum 500s.  When i first got the charger, I always wanted magnums on it, I eventually got a stock set of 14 inchers in mediocre but restorable condition when i salvaged another 69 charger r/t  for parts, but have always thought 14 inch wheels were just too small for the charger, then again I don't like having huge wheels, just ones that fill the available space without rubbing. 

Now i have to make a decision which wheels i want more, wheels for the daily driver (cragar S/S) (2) or order 17x11's for the charger.  The charger is slowly getting to the point where it may actually feel asphault again after 25+ years of storage.  A few more brake parts to get then It'll go to the shop to have all new brake/trans/fuel lines installed under the car, and re-do the front and rear brakes.  If it is gonna roll, its going to look the way i want it to.  I'll likely wait and get a set of front wheels later.  I think the 17x11 with 5.5bs and 4.5 bolt pattern with a set of Nitto 315/35 x 17 drag radials would look pretty good on the car, the 17x8 fronts will likely appear later once it actually rolls out of storage. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

pandamarie

Here is a pic of the 17s on my daytona clone. I will send you some to your email later this week from different angles so you can see the room I have left.
I went with these tires because they are ZR rated and when finished I want to go run the silver state race, plus they were cheap at tire rack, 400 for all four delivered.

Lord Warlock

A pair of the 17x11's are on order, no idea when they'll arrive, long enough for the wife to see the bill before the wheels.  have to slow down, too much in a short time.  just got new fuel, brake and tranny cooler lines, as well as a large selection of small items that add up quick.  Gonna have to stop getting new ideas from magazines.   Have to wait and see, when i get the wheels, then i'll have to buy tires for it, then install them.  Then i'll get some pictures up to show what it looks like. 

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Quote from: Lord Warlock on July 30, 2013, 01:02:12 AM
A pair of the 17x11's are on order, no idea when they'll arrive, long enough for the wife to see the bill before the wheels.  have to slow down, too much in a short time.  just got new fuel, brake and tranny cooler lines, as well as a large selection of small items that add up quick.  Gonna have to stop getting new ideas from magazines.   Have to wait and see, when i get the wheels, then i'll have to buy tires for it, then install them.  Then i'll get some pictures up to show what it looks like. 

I feel your pain.  That's the reason why I don't read car magazines, go to car shows or even log onto this site too often; because everytime I do, I start racking up Charger related bills.  What did you spend on your wheels?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: myk on July 30, 2013, 05:11:19 AM

I feel your pain.  That's the reason why I don't read car magazines, go to car shows or even log onto this site too often; because everytime I do, I start racking up Charger related bills.  What did you spend on your wheels?

You don't need all that to spend money, I bought so much stuff I barely have room for it in the garage.  Worth it though.   :2thumbs:

Can't wait to see those wheels on your car, it's going to look great! 

Pandamarie, do you have any more shots of that car?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: Dino on July 30, 2013, 07:04:14 AM

You don't need all that to spend money, I bought so much stuff I barely have room for it in the garage.  Worth it though.   :2thumbs:

Lol, I will give you this: the Charger is the only thing in my life where I don't feel the slightest bit of regret after dropping money on it, no matter how much it may be.  So yes, it's totally worth it...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: myk on July 31, 2013, 01:51:49 AM
Quote from: Dino on July 30, 2013, 07:04:14 AM

Lol, I will give you this: the Charger is the only thing in my life where I don't feel the slightest bit of regret after dropping money on it, no matter how much it may be.  So yes, it's totally worth it...

It sure is!   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

pandamarie

Wont be posting any pics of the whole car until I get it finished. But here are a few more of the tires and wheels mounted.
These pics are the 9.5-17" with 275-40s mounted, wheels have a 5.5" BS.

pandamarie

first one is space left from tire to inside edge of rear fender.  Other two are 8-17" with 245-40 tire. with the Magnum force suspension there is enough room to mount the rear tire wheel package on the front, I will post those next.

Lord Warlock

Looks good, it still amazes me how much room we have in our fenders for fat tires, no tubs needed. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

myk

No offense to the Panda, but the Charger's body makes that 275 tire look smaller than it actually is...

Lord Warlock

Was expecting a 4 to 5 week wait, but got a note from fedex that they arrived (in just 2 weeks), can't sign for them at the house so have to pick them up from the drop off shop.  I'll try to pick them up tomorrow or Friday.  Guess i'll be tire shopping earlier than i expected.  The wheels by the way went for about 760.00 for the pair.  (360 each) could have looked around more for a little cheaper i guess, but prices were all pretty close.  Plan on getting 8 inch fronts, still thinking of getting smaller fronts since its going to be staggered anyway, but will probably end up with 17x8s for the front later this year.  

If i only had the charger to mess with, the wife really wouldn't begrudge me fixing it up to be roadworthy again, she's developed a healthy distaste for the stealth turbo out there with it, back in 2002 i spent about 15k on it, and she turned against it then, ever since she's never lightened up on it, even though i drove it daily for 10 years and it deserved the update at the time.  I'm slowly reaching the point where I have to choose though, I've known for years the stealth would go to make room for other gear, last week i painted part of it with a first color coat of jamaican blue, have to fix a couple spots and sand it smooth for coat 2 this coming weekend.  Once i get it painted, getting it together will be fairly easy, cleaning it up will take some time though before i'll be ready to advertise it for sale.  Come to the conclusion that I'll likely never use it like i did before, and there are other toys that are more important to finish.  Just hope it will bring a fair price when I do sell it. They haven't appreciated much yet.   

myk

Goddamn that's a lot of coin.  But....it'll be so worth it once you roll up in your new setup...

Lord Warlock

I agree they are more than I wanted to spend on wheels, especially when you can get 15" chrome magnum500s for 160 each, but they are about half what it cost to replace two wheels on my challenger, so its all relative.  Picked them up at fedex today, opened one of them, and the wheel is massive but lighter than expected.  Should look great if it fits, i'll test fit it on the charger this weekend before getting tires. 

Lord Warlock

Test fitted the AR500s,  they go on just fine, backspacing is good for the inside edge of wheel and tire, clearing the fenderlip is going to be close, depends on whether it sits over the tire or if there is any wheel gap.  Won't really be able to tell for sure without tires on the wheels, and there is no return once the tires get mounted, so gotta commit.  Got the wheels test fitted, but didn't make it to the tire shop to get the new tires installed.  Plan on getting a set of Nitto 315 35zr17s to go on the rim, always wanted to try those out, may as well put them on a car that gets driven rarely if ever, and when it does is always a sunny day.  Now I have to consider when to order the 17x8s.  

I'll get pics up once i get the tires mounted and installed.  Not sure i want them sliding around my trunk all week though,  they sound like a bell ringing if they touch each other.  

Lord Warlock

I did notice that the original wheel centers off of a 14 inch magnum 500 will cover the hole on the new ones, but i'll have to bend the tabs back on the plate that bolts from the inside to let them slide into position, may just order new ones from american racing if they sell them. 

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Lord Warlock on August 18, 2013, 07:29:51 PM
I did notice that the original wheel centers off of a 14 inch magnum 500 will cover the hole on the new ones, but i'll have to bend the tabs back on the plate that bolts from the inside to let them slide into position, may just order new ones from american racing if they sell them.  
You can buy plastic retainers from YearOne that fit perfectly, also you will need longer screws.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-A-B-E-Body/mwr2
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Quote from: Lord Warlock on August 18, 2013, 07:22:12 PM
Test fitted the AR500s,  they go on just fine, backspacing is good for the inside edge of wheel and tire, clearing the fenderlip is going to be close, depends on whether it sits over the tire or if there is any wheel gap.  Won't really be able to tell for sure without tires on the wheels, and there is no return once the tires get mounted, so gotta commit.  Got the wheels test fitted, but didn't make it to the tire shop to get the new tires installed.  Plan on getting a set of Nitto 315 35zr17s to go on the rim, always wanted to try those out, may as well put them on a car that gets driven rarely if ever, and when it does is always a sunny day.  Now I have to consider when to order the 17x8s.  

I'll get pics up once i get the tires mounted and installed.  Not sure i want them sliding around my trunk all week though,  they sound like a bell ringing if they touch each other.  

That sounds pretty tricky, considering the wheels are yours once they're fitted with tires.  This is what's always made me reluctant and wary to take a chance on new wheels: if I buy a set and it doesn't work, a whole new set of problems can open up for you.  However, I'm glad your venture is working out for you...

Lord Warlock

Like you mentioned, the risk of making a mistake can be costly, and its probably one of the reasons I have never bought a set of wheels that cost more than 200 before.  I did take a risk on tires once, thought i did it right, went to a tire shop, had them measure the rims, then ordered the widest tire that would fit...when they came in the rims were 2 inches too narrow, they had to work at it, but the tires (L50-15s) found themselves on 15x6.5 inch rims, and wierdly stayed stuck on the slots on the charger now for almost 35 years.  Now here i am trying to avoid the rim problem of yesteryear, pretty positive that if i'd gotten 10 inch rims i'd still be able to put the 315s on those, but i always liked wide tires in the back, and skinnies or near stock widths up front, the 11s are close to being too much, i'll have to see with tires on, if i don't like em, i'll sell them online and get a set of 10s instead.  Several times over the years i've ended up with factory wheels that were as good as aftermarket, case in point the stealth and cobra had factory 17x9 rims, and cobra owners used to put 315s on theirs.  

At least the wheels look very nice, one has a rough spot on the backside, some would complain, I won't, the wheels look great otherwise.  Can't wait to see them mounted.  In preparation, i took the charger off its dollies, the car looks lowered now.   The wheel people really are missing out by not marketing the magnums to the dodge challenger/charger/300 crowd, they'd likely sell a ton of them. 

Lord Warlock

Got the tires installed on the rims, and mounted them on the rear hubs.  One of the studs on the drivers side came loose and dropped inside the brake hub, so i'll have to figure out how to get that out and back on the car before i try to move it anywhere, but the remaining studs are enough to hold the wheel in place till i can get to it.  

The Nitto 555R 315 35 x 17 are a lower profile tire than the 50s it had before, shows a bit more wheel gap than i like on the rear, the good news is that the wheels fit great in the wheelwell, and there is clearance of about an Inch to inch and a half on the inside, and maybe a half inch on the outside.  The tires, even if higher sidewalled would have fit inside the outer fender lip,  as they are there is at least a 2 inch clearance right now.  The drag radials look great on the rim, and will serve as new rear tires till I start showing it.  

Don't worry, pics are here too.  first one just shows the tire sitting next to the car

Picture of the wheel and rim off the car

Picture of the wheel from the side with tire mounted

right side installed, plenty of clearance, may have to lower the car a little to lessen the gap, can worry about that later

close up of the gap, wheel is on, car is lowered to floor with weight on it.  

Picture of drivers side so can see they fit inside the wheelwell and don't stick out any, you can see one of the old L50-15 Kelly Super Charger tires on a 15" slotted rim to the right in front of the stealth and on top of the generator.  They'll be dismounted and discarded, they served me well, they lasted 30 years, and still have gobs of tread left on them, just can't trust dry rot or flatspots from long storage. 

Lord Warlock

The wheels look great, now i'll have to order a set of 17x8s for the front and tires to match, wish they sold em cheaper than the 11s, will have to look around. It looks to good to have a mismatched set of wheels on it anymore, too bad its gonna take a bigger chunk of change, i'm sure the wife is ancy about the cost, but she'll deal with it, haven't splurged on wheels that often.  

Guess i'll have to call the glass folks to come out and install the glass, then i can tow it to the shop to do the brake work and install new lines, then before i put it back in storage i'll let the headliner guy do his work.  Then i can focus on the gas tank, trunk floor and last, the engine bay.  

As you can see, i painted the old tires when painting the car,  lazy on my part but i also knew I'd be replacing them later so didn't worry about it too much.  I covered the stealth wheels the first 4 tmes i painted it, then got lazy and figured i'd pull the wheels after i'm done, and pressure wash the paint off the rubber, and repaint the rims themselves, again being lazy tends to add more work later, but at least i'm getting closer to where it would actually matter, and someone might see the paint on rubber, new tires look so much nicer than oversprayed tires...lol.

What is the proper backspacing/offset for a 17x8 rim for the front? 4.5" Backspacing, any offset? anyone?  Started looking around, and found that everyone else i found online were more expensive than the place i got mine, the 17x8s are priced at 309 each from Newstalgia wheels.  Did find that wheel vintiques are even more expensive than the AR500s are, haven't looked enough at the cragar s/s versions,

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wheels look cool but O/T here for a minute....refresh my memory...was your car originally coded for the V21 Hood Perf Treatment?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Lord Warlock

Unfortunately, no it is not coded for a v21 hood treatment,  mine was built before that option came available in 69.  I just figured if i was going to build my car, i'd build it the way i would have ordered it, not the way someone else did way back when.  Plus i remember lots of glare off the hood and windshield when driving it and the black hood treatment would reduce that somewhat.  The y3 color needed something black on the front to balance out the black stripe on the rear.  Most y2 or y3 chargers i've seen had black tops, not tan ones, i always liked the tan top and tan interior, so it wasn't an option to put a black top on the car, so therefore i went with the v21 treatment.  I also considered painting the door scallops, but eventually ruled that out.  

The car also isn't coded for road wheels or magnums,  its supposed to have steel wheels and the SE hubcaps,  another deviation from stock for me. 

Lord Warlock

The 17x8 magnums are on order,  these should be for the front wheels,  Had to debate whether to just get 15s for the front or get matching 17s,  I have a pair of almost new 15 inch BFGoodrich tires on the slot rims, and thought that it would save me a few hundred not to have to buy tires,  but eventually decided I'd rather get the 17s to match the rears, as much as I like the white sidewall lettering, I think i'll be getting a pair of 245/45 17 Nittos to match the rear set. 

I'll be trying to test fit the 17x8s on the challenger,  just to see if they clear the rotors/calipers.  There are some that say they won't fit, but many also said the 4.5 bolt pattern wouldn't bolt on, and they were wrong. 

Lord Warlock

17x8s should arrive for pickup tomorrow, getting them after work if I can get there on time.  After unboxing them and making sure they're the right wheels, I'll drop them off at discount tire to mount the 245x45 17s.  Plan on seeing if the 8 inch rim would fit on the challenger without hitting the calipers.  If they do I may end  up ordering another set for the 2010 challenger. 

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Lord Warlock on September 29, 2013, 07:55:05 PM
17x8s should arrive for pickup tomorrow, getting them after work if I can get there on time.  After unboxing them and making sure they're the right wheels, I'll drop them off at discount tire to mount the 245x45 17s.  Plan on seeing if the 8 inch rim would fit on the challenger without hitting the calipers.  If they do I may end  up ordering another set for the 2010 challenger.  
That's fast, my 15x8's and 15x10's AR500 took almost six weeks.  :2thumbs:

Who did you order them through?

Lord Warlock

I ordered them through wheel vintiques,  they were as cheap there as any other place I could find,  if you buy 4 they'll do free shipping, since I bought two first, and two later, I didn't get them shipped free, but the second set were shipped cheaper than the first set were.  Both sets only took about two weeks to arrive.  The bad thing was that once the order confirmation was received, they didn't notify me when they actually shipped the wheels, so you didn't have  clue how long it would be, and couldn't line up a delivery day and work from home.  They usually require a signature, which complicates things as I'm rarely around to hear the doorbell, even if i'm home. 

I was tempted to order tires from them as well, the tires were cheaper than discount tire sells them for.  But i'm a cheapskate at heart, and the wheels themselves are fairly expensive at 310-360 each.  Never spent near that much on wheels before...but they do look nice on the charger, so guess I can't complain much. 

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Lord Warlock on September 30, 2013, 08:25:50 PM
but they do look nice on the charger, so guess I can't complain much. 
I agree, one of the best looking wheels on a Charger.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Lord Warlock on September 30, 2013, 08:25:50 PM
I ordered them through wheel vintiques,  they were as cheap there as any other place I could find,  if you buy 4 they'll do free shipping, since I bought two first, and two later, I didn't get them shipped free, but the second set were shipped cheaper than the first set were.  Both sets only took about two weeks to arrive.  The bad thing was that once the order confirmation was received, they didn't notify me when they actually shipped the wheels, so you didn't have  clue how long it would be, and couldn't line up a delivery day and work from home.  They usually require a signature, which complicates things as I'm rarely around to hear the doorbell, even if i'm home. 

I was tempted to order tires from them as well, the tires were cheaper than discount tire sells them for.  But i'm a cheapskate at heart, and the wheels themselves are fairly expensive at 310-360 each.  Never spent near that much on wheels before...but they do look nice on the charger, so guess I can't complain much. 
I'm getting ready to install the AR500's, what lug nuts are you using on the Charger?

Lord Warlock

I got a set of RH threaded lugs online somewhere,  the longer style similar to the original magnum 500s, they have a tapered end on them, but I'm not really happy with them, I'd prefer ones more like the lugs i had on the slot wheels that had a sleeve at the beginning of the thread that led to a taper that went up to the full width of the lug. This would allow more grip on the threaded part of the studs and not just the part outside of the wheel.   In my case i had replaced both rear axles and both front rotors so all wheels have RH threads on them now. 

My other dissatisfaction was that using a cordless impact wrench and a normal socket marked up the lugs a little.  I still prefer the longer style lug that sticks out a little further on the rims, it looks right to me overall. 

Mopar Nut

Mopar Nut

Lord Warlock

yes, something similar to those would work better in my mind, just to give more threads grip holding the wheels on.  Mine are a little longer looking.  They look like they hold the wheel on just fine, i just believe the other style would provide a better grip. 

frank1966

iam confused! i love the ar500 but what wheel size with no fitment problems? any suggestions do 40 profile tires run rough?

frank1966

so this is what I came up with to keep the same aspect ratio of 50 and the same tires. with vn500 wheels with a 4.5BS
17x8 255/50 nittos 450
17x9.5 275/50 nitto 450

will the fronts fit okay?
stock wheels are 215/75/14 - the height of the new wheels will increase for the rear it will increase by 0.6 inches and the front by 0.2. Any problems with the increased height in the rear?

Lord Warlock

17X8 With a 4.5 backspace will work fine on the front wheels.  Can't answer on the back wheels, I got 17x11's with 5.5 BS for the rear and they fit fine, but with a taller tire could be close  to the outer wheel opening,  I've got 315 35 17s in the rear, would probably go with 315 40s if I had to do them over again, as the tire is a little shorter than i expected in back. 

frank1966

I think your right since I don't want to go lower than 50 series tires. I can go with 17x9 255 on the rear - cant go with a 8 inch on the front since most of you go with 8 inches on the front?

petohazy

Quote from: Lord Warlock on March 26, 2014, 04:42:12 PM
17X8 With a 4.5 backspace will work fine on the front wheels.  Can't answer on the back wheels, I got 17x11's with 5.5 BS for the rear and they fit fine, but with a taller tire could be close  to the outer wheel opening,  I've got 315 35 17s in the rear, would probably go with 315 40s if I had to do them over again, as the tire is a little shorter than i expected in back. 
I'm interested in how your 17x11 AR 500s with the Nitto 315/35ZR17 tires in the rear worked out (actually your front set-up as well!).  It seems like a really nice set-up I'd like to try, if it fits without rubbing.  Appreciate any feedback and pics if you have them. Thanks in advance.

Lord Warlock

The 17x8's in the front fit great with 45 series tires on them, they are the same height as the original wheels were, the 17x11 wheels in the rear have clearance on the leaf springs, and just barely inside the wheelwells.  The 35 series tires in my mind are a little short and leave more wheel gap than I prefer but have plenty of room between the wheel and wheelwell since they don't fit up inside the wheelwell, I think a set of 315 45 series tires would fit better and look better overall. The nitto sidewalls curve inward near the tread so give more clearance than some other tires would.  I would worry that the 11 inch rims were too wide with any tire that bulged a little.  The width of the tires in back looks awesome though, just what i was looking for.  

I had L50-15 tires on 15x6.5 inch wheels before, the tires were actually a few sizes too wide for the rims i had, but we got them on and they lasted 30 years and still hold air, just can't trust them on the road anymore for fear of dry rot. 

I'll try to get some decent pics tomorrow, last time i took pics there was another car in the way that made it hard to see from the sides, the car has now been moved, so i can take a new pic and post it up tomorrow sometime.

petohazy

Pics would be great.  What brand 315/45x17 tire were you considering?  I couldn't find a 315/45x17 tire on the Nitto website.

Lord Warlock

Since i just put these tires on, I don't plan on replacing them for quite a while, but the next set i get will be either a 40 or a 45 series tire, even if i have to drop down to a 305 size instead of the 315.  Still haven't gotten the pictures, will deal with those a little bit later this afternoon, have to clear some stuff out of the free stall, was trying to figure out how to make a console in front of the buddy seat to hold a new stereo, first attempt was a flop, will have to redesign and try again.

petohazy

Quote from: Lord Warlock on April 06, 2014, 01:30:05 PM
Since i just put these tires on, I don't plan on replacing them for quite a while, but the next set i get will be either a 40 or a 45 series tire, even if i have to drop down to a 305 size instead of the 315.  Still haven't gotten the pictures, will deal with those a little bit later this afternoon, have to clear some stuff out of the free stall, was trying to figure out how to make a console in front of the buddy seat to hold a new stereo, first attempt was a flop, will have to redesign and try again.
Yeah, I've been searching but all I can find larger than 35% sidewall is street drag tires.  I would like at least an H rating, as I don't do any drag racing, just high speed highway sometimes, where taller 27"+ tires would help.  My Gear Vendors Overdrive also helps that out nicely.  I'm also contemplating changing out the factory console, with something custom that has an arm rest and cup holders.  Future project though, as my current project is working on upgrading the front disc set up and adding rear discs (one of the reasons I am looking at the 17" rims).

Lord Warlock

A few pics, excuse the dirty wheels, haven't cleaned em off for a bit after wetsand and buffing with compound.  But you can see how they sit in the wheelwells and get an idea of width.  I was able to install the original magnum 500 center caps, after ordering a set of adapters from year one, they are just the cups that mount inside the wheel and tighten down with two small bolts to the center cap, the originals won't fit because the diameter of the hole isn't the same as 15 inch magnums.  They were pretty cheap.

Front wheel, 245/45 on 17x8 inch rims

Rear tire width

Rear tire height

Lord Warlock

The rear tires are drag radials, NT555R's, I figured they'd grip better than regular tires, and have always wanted to try a set out, the car always used to spin the tires pretty easy if you gave a tad too much gas, figure these may help it some.  If not they'll wear  out quick and i can get a different set of tires, then again the car doesn't get driven much so it may be a year or more before it sees enough road time to swap rubber again.  Car isn't currently tagged or insured, although it is getting close to needing a tag and insurance again. 

Mopar Nut

They look great, how tall are your wheels? I don't remember reading it on here, but lately I don't remember much anymore.

Lord Warlock

as I measured them the fronts are 24.5 tall and rears are 24.75 inches,  26 would look better to me.  fronts look taller but rear is actually higher

petohazy

Thanks for the pics, looks good!  For my plans, I am going to keep hunting for something in the 27" plus range and suitable for regular highway use.  Found 295/50SR16 (rated 118 mph) from BF Goodrich that may work.  From what I understand they run a bit wider, and should be around 27.6" tall.  Now I need to find a 16x10 Magnum 500 style wheel (guessing 5" BS).

Quote from: Lord Warlock on April 06, 2014, 04:07:50 PM
A few pics, excuse the dirty wheels, haven't cleaned em off for a bit after wetsand and buffing with compound.  But you can see how they sit in the wheelwells and get an idea of width.  I was able to install the original magnum 500 center caps, after ordering a set of adapters from year one, they are just the cups that mount inside the wheel and tighten down with two small bolts to the center cap, the originals won't fit because the diameter of the hole isn't the same as 15 inch magnums.  They were pretty cheap.

Front wheel, 245/45 on 17x8 inch rims

Rear tire width

Rear tire height