News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice; wich Holley carburator do I need???

Started by Mr. Lee, July 27, 2013, 02:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Lee

As my Edelbrock carb is worn out, I want to replace it for a new Holley carb.
As there is quite of a variety of Holley carbs and me not knowing wich one to pick, I need your technical support.
What I expect from my car is that I can nicely cruise for a while at about 60-70MPH, but also I want it to burn some rubber, make some nice slides occasionally, and get away quick when standing still.

First some specs from my 1969 Charger:

- Engine is a later model 440
- Comp Cam installed: 462 lift intake/218 duration, .470 lift exhaust/224 duration.
- Intake installed: Weiand Action Plus
- Heads, crank, etc. is all stock.
- Positrac rearend with the 3.55 gear and 2500 rpm stall convertor.

I checked the Holley website, used the carb selector, but still I don't know wich one is best. So here are my questions:

- What is the difference between mechanical and vacuum secundaries, and wich one is the best for my car?
- Wich size do I need? 650, 750, 770, 850? I know 440 engines that have a 650, another has a 750, and another has a 850? Wich one to use for my specs?
- Than there is the question if I should take a double-pumper or not. Do I need a double-pumper for my specs?

So guys, give me some good advice wich Holley carb I need. Thanks  :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mr. Lee on July 27, 2013, 02:38:07 PM
As my Edelbrock carb is worn out, I want to replace it for a new Holley carb.
As there is quite of a variety of Holley carbs and me not knowing wich one to pick, I need your technical support.
What I expect from my car is that I can nicely cruise for a while at about 60-70MPH, but also I want it to burn some rubber, make some nice slides occasionally, and get away quick when standing still.

First some specs from my 1969 Charger:

- Engine is a later model 440
- Comp Cam installed: 462 lift intake/218 duration, .470 lift exhaust/224 duration.
- Intake installed: Weiand Action Plus
- Heads, crank, etc. is all stock.
- Positrac rearend with the 3.55 gear and 2500 rpm stall convertor.

I checked the Holley website, used the carb selector, but still I don't know wich one is best. So here are my questions:

- What is the difference between mechanical and vacuum secundaries, and wich one is the best for my car?
- Wich size do I need? 650, 750, 770, 850? I know 440 engines that have a 650, another has a 750, and another has a 850? Wich one to use for my specs?
- Than there is the question if I should take a double-pumper or not. Do I need a double-pumper for my specs?

So guys, give me some good advice wich Holley carb I need. Thanks  :2thumbs:
750 double pumper with mechanical secondaries or a six pack.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mr. Lee

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 27, 2013, 03:15:07 PM
750 double pumper with mechanical secondaries or a six pack.

Thanks for the input  :2thumbs:

What is the difference between mechanical and vacuum secundaries, and why a double-pumper instead of a non-DP?

Mr. Lee

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mr. Lee on July 27, 2013, 03:59:43 PM
Thanks for the input  :2thumbs:

What is the difference between mechanical and vacuum secundaries, and why a double-pumper instead of a non-DP?
Double pumper has a better fuel flow. Mechanical secondaries open manually while vacuum secondaries open when there is enough vacuum. Double pumper and mechanical secondaries reduces hesitation.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mr. Lee

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 27, 2013, 04:09:39 PM
Double pumper has a better fuel flow. Mechanical secondaries open manually while vacuum secondaries open when there is enough vacuum. Double pumper and mechanical secondaries reduces hesitation.

So you suggest this one right? -> http://www.holley.com/0-4779C.asp

It says "Intended for lightweight vehicles w/ manual trans or automatics with high stall & low gearing" but I have 3.55 gear and 2500 rpm stall convertor so that would not be right I think?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mr. Lee on July 27, 2013, 04:19:36 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 27, 2013, 04:09:39 PM

So you suggest this one right? -> http://www.holley.com/0-4779C.asp

It says "Intended for lightweight vehicles w/ manual trans or automatics with high stall & low gearing" but I have 3.55 gear and 2500 rpm stall convertor so that would not be right I think?
That one has a manual choke, are you wanting a electric or a divorced choke?

The Holley 4150 hp ultra is what I was looking for myself, pricey though.

Mr. Lee

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 27, 2013, 04:38:23 PM

I would prefer an electric choke, so this is the one you think is best right? -> http://holley.com/0-76750BK.asp

Mr. Lee

Anyone else overhere that can give his thoughts and answer my questions?

Thanks  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

I run your first choice. The 4779C. Its a damn good carb. If you tune it, you don't need the choke. I can fire mi e up in the dead of winter. My choke is wired open. Out of the box you might have to go up a few jet sizes but that's no big deal. Also pick up the accelrrator pump cam kit. How much engine vaccum do you pull at idle? You will probably have to change power valves.... its all the little things that will make the big difference. You will be happy with it.

Mr. Lee

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 28, 2013, 09:54:11 AM
I run your first choice. The 4779C. Its a damn good carb. If you tune it, you don't need the choke. I can fire mi e up in the dead of winter. My choke is wired open. Out of the box you might have to go up a few jet sizes but that's no big deal. Also pick up the accelrrator pump cam kit. How much engine vaccum do you pull at idle? You will probably have to change power valves.... its all the little things that will make the big difference. You will be happy with it.

Thanks for the input, but I guess I will choose a carb with electrical choke.

I wouldn't know how much engine vacuum I have at idle? I'm not that much of a engine-mechanic, I will have someone else installing the cab for me  ;)

I just need a few people to give their opinion about wich carb will be the best for the specs of my car, after we'll fine-tune it all.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mr. Lee on July 28, 2013, 03:51:43 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 27, 2013, 04:38:23 PM

I would prefer an electric choke, so this is the one you think is best right? -> http://holley.com/0-76750BK.asp
Yes, that would be a good choice too. Do you have a automatic? I want to make sure the kickdown linkage will work.

Mr. Lee

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 28, 2013, 01:57:27 PM
Yes, that would be a good choice too. Do you have a automatic? I want to make sure the kickdown linkage will work.

Yes, a 727  :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

Mr. Lee

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 28, 2013, 02:27:35 PM
Yes, that's universal, it'll work.

So in your opinion looking at the specs of my car I should use a 750 double pumper, mechanical secundaries, electrical choke, and the http://holley.com/0-76750BK.asp would be the choice to make right?

Mopar Nut

Yes, where are you planning on purchasing the carb?

Mr. Lee

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 28, 2013, 02:51:38 PM
Yes, where are you planning on purchasing the carb?

I guess where I can get it for the best price; seen them for $475,- so far.  You have a better option?

Not buying one yet, just waiting for some more reactions (not doubting on your input  ;) )

Budnicks

Quote from: Mr. Lee on July 28, 2013, 04:00:22 AM

Thanks  :2thumbs:
A Holley 770cfm Street Avenger w/vac. sec./with an electric choke or Even better the Quickfuel if your on a tight budget the QFT-SL-750-VS $307.95 or can spend a little more the QFT-HR-780-VS $416.98 @ Summit Racing, equivalent will/might be a little more money, but a slightly better carb too... vacuum secondary carburetors are great on the street with an automatic trans...  :Twocents: I'm sure opinions will vary vastly thou...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

justcruisin

I agree with budnicks. With a basically stock build for street use the VS would be my choice, unless you are planing on future upgrades.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 28, 2013, 01:57:27 PM
Do you have a automatic? I want to make sure the kickdown linkage will work.

Yes, a 727  :2thumbs:

Be sure to order the Mopar throttle lever extension Holley #20-7 if you want the linkage to work correctly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

elacruze

Quote from: Budnicks on July 28, 2013, 03:44:49 PM
Quote from: Mr. Lee on July 28, 2013, 04:00:22 AM

Thanks  :2thumbs:
A Holley 770cfm Street Avenger w/vac. sec./with an electric choke or Even better the Quickfuel if your on a tight budget the QFT-SL-750-VS $307.95 or can spend a little more the QFT-HR-780-VS $416.98 @ Summit Racing, equivalent will/might be a little more money, but a slightly better carb too... vacuum secondary carburetors are great on the street with an automatic trans...  :Twocents: I'm sure opinions will vary vastly thou...

+1
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Mr. Lee

I got a lot of suggestions / thoughts about the carb choises, and this is what most people say to me:

- because of the fact I have a automatic + specs rear-axle in combination that I want to cruise on the road I should take vacuum secundaries
- because my engine is almost like stock specs, I should use a 650-700 carb, no double pumper

What do you guys think about this, and what about using this carb --> http://holley.com/0-86670BK.asp

justcruisin

Personally I would go for a 750 proform VS street series. More adjustability to suit current and possibly future upgrades.

myk

Quote from: Mr. Lee on July 30, 2013, 02:01:51 AM
I got a lot of suggestions / thoughts about the carb choises, and this is what most people say to me:

- because of the fact I have a automatic + specs rear-axle in combination that I want to cruise on the road I should take vacuum secundaries
- because my engine is almost like stock specs, I should use a 650-700 carb, no double pumper

What do you guys think about this, and what about using this carb --> http://holley.com/0-86670BK.asp

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a stock 440 out of the factory came with at LEAST a 700cfm 'carb; I don't think going less than 700cfm would be a good move...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"