News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Was there a post about this Daytona clone before

Started by chargerman69, August 08, 2013, 10:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

chargerman69

Am thinking of calling the number, if its for real i have family that could look at it for me

A383Wing

it's not a real daytona...and that wiring that I see spells trouble....

just sayin

THE CHARGER PUNK

Cars pretty close to me, I just relocated from Vancouver to Edmonton last month.

chargerman69

Charger punk wood it be any trouble for you to check the clone out for me cause am from out side of windsor ont

Old Moparz

That car may have been discussed, or a similar one, since the rear window plug looks as though it was installed too high up.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Highbanked Hauler

Looks like they used a regular Charger rear window with the top in the stock position
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Stevearino

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on August 10, 2013, 08:28:04 PM
Looks like they used a regular Charger rear window with the top in the stock position
That's exactly what it looks like. Not too bad. Just a little off. :scratchchin:

Baldwinvette77

i know i asked this before, but never got an answer, why 2 fuel doors?  :shruggy:

ws23rt

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on August 10, 2013, 09:10:30 PM
i know i asked this before, but never got an answer, why 2 fuel doors?  :shruggy:

Could be an OCD thing. Now the car is in better balance. :eek2:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: ws23rt on August 10, 2013, 09:17:06 PM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on August 10, 2013, 09:10:30 PM

Could be an OCD thing. Now the car is in better balance. :eek2:
And you never have to worry about which side of the pump to pull up to  :icon_smile_big:

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on August 10, 2013, 08:28:04 PM

Have wondered how that would work...........

Looks decent. Maybe lower it just a bit, making it more centered?

Kinda like the idea of building a clone to be just a bit different, so as no confusion with a genuine one.

Lighthorseman

I'm headed out to look at this within a half-hour or so.  I will take as many pictures as I can get away with...and will also try to scope out his B5 Superbird too.   :2thumbs:

Lighthorseman

Well, got out there and talked to him.  Nice guy, but a bit of an odd duck.  He said he has the two wing cars for sale because he wants to use the money to build a house.  I got there, and he showed me to a fairly rickety 2 car garage.  Inside - how cool is it to see TWO tails?  Pretty cool.  So, I asked if we could move it out into the sun, and he said he had the battery disconnected, and would not hook it up to see if lights, etc. worked, nor would he push it out of the dark garage.  There were mousetraps everywhere, and although the garage had a concrete floor, there would be no way to keep rodents out.  So, I did the best I could with the car inside.

Initially, the car looked really cool.  Heck - what wing car doesn't? 

CAVEAT!!
Please keep in mind that I don't even know enough to be dangerous!!

As I looked closer, many things came into focus.
I asked as many questions as I could think of, and here, in point form, are things I got from him:

- He did not put the car together.  He got it as it sits now.
- Claimed it came from a guy nearby, who got it from the guy who built it, who conveniently lives in Florida.
- Has no idea how the back window was made, or if it is metal, fibreglass...or even 50 gallons of Bondo.  We measured the back window, and it is the same size as the back glass on his '68 project.
- He had the battery disconnected, and would not hook it up to see if lights, etc. worked, nor would he push it out of the dark garage.
- He says he's had it for about a year - and he hasn't even taken it out for a drive.  How the hell can one have a wing car in the garage and NOT take it out for a spin?  Is that a red flag to you?
- Many questions I asked got a shrug and an "I dunno", or he simply said that he got the car like that.

So...looking at the car from front to rear:
- Fibreglass nose, Z-braces, fender extensions, lower valence, and fender scoops.
- Nose does NOT have the correct grille opening.  There is only a small opening on the bottom rear of the nose.
- Headlights do not work.
- Metal '70 fenders and hood.
- No top holes for "tire clearance!" in the fenders.
- Interior looks nice with buckets, console, rallye dash (with tic-toc-tach).
- Sound deadener glued to the floor under the carpets.  Couldn't pull it up anywhere to see the state of the floorpans.
- Headliner looks nice.
- Doors appear to be nice and clean.  No rust noted, and they closed well.
- Manual windows, no air.
- Thumbwheel radio.
- Back glass area headliner falling off.
- Bubbles in the paint near the rear window.
- "Orange peel" most everywhere - especially in the tail and trunk area.
- Dual fuel fillers not functional.
- Large bubble in paint on passenger side sailpanel.
- Looks very much like a stock Charger back window.
- Cracks on both sides of the lower back deck near the trunk lid.
- Trunk has scraped paint off the centre of the decklid.
- Trunk lid does not stay up - it has to be propped open.
- Again, heavily glued sound deadener negates the ability to look at the trunk pan.
- There is some sort of plywood panel just behind the back seat.
- Appears to have a REAL metal tail.
- Taillight on the driver's side not secured properly.

Underside:
- Scary looking rust on the front driver's side frame rail.
- VERY heavy coat of rustproofing does not allow inspection of floor pans.
- Newer looking fuel tank.
- Rear frame rails looked fine to me.
- Could not see trunk pan.
- Lower rear quarters rusty and bubbly on the bottom.

Overall, it looks really good.  Not great, but nice.  It certainly looks solid enough to drive to me, but please remember the caveat!  It would require an EXPERT to have a very close look at the frame rails for sure.  I have no idea what one would realistically pay for this, but I would want a really good idea of how much work I'm really in for if I took this on.

If I can ever get pictures to upload, I will post them.  I'm sure there's stuff that I forgot, so if anyone has questions, just fire away and I'll wrack my brain for an answer.

Baldwinvette77

sounds decent, but strange that "he never drove it" perhaps something whines, grinds or vibrates  :shruggy:

WINGIN IT