News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to change a distributor in a 318

Started by MaximRecoil, August 13, 2013, 07:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

yup..Cooter was right a few posts ago...  :2thumbs:

ws23rt

And he was right on the drive shaft vibration thread.  Maxim admitted it kinda. :shruggy:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: A383Wing on August 22, 2013, 06:38:04 PM
yup..Cooter was right a few posts ago...  :2thumbs:

Your baseless assertion is noted, and dismissed.

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 06:44:55 PM
And he was right on the drive shaft vibration thread.  Maxim admitted it kinda. :shruggy:

"Cooter" hasn't been right about anything on this thread. Any assertions he's made have been baseless and irrelevant. He hasn't had a single argument on the topic of ignition systems; i.e., he's sitting in this thread's peanut gallery throwing paper cups, which is also where you and "A383Wing" have been relegated to.

The only person on this thread who has consistently argued with me on topic is "John_Kunkel". He doesn't have his facts straight on this particular matter, but at least he hasn't demonstrated childishness (not yet anyway).

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 06:51:16 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on August 22, 2013, 06:38:04 PM
yup..Cooter was right a few posts ago...  :2thumbs:

Your baseless assertion is noted, and dismissed.

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 06:44:55 PM

"Cooter" hasn't been right about anything on this thread. Any assertions he's made have been baseless and irrelevant. He hasn't had a single argument on the topic of ignition systems; i.e., he's sitting in this thread's peanut gallery throwing paper cups, which is also where you and "A383Wing" have been relegated to.

And cooter has again been proven right. Actually leaving no further doubt.  
Maxim---just go back up a few posts and you will find the one that proves the fact. :brickwall:
I'm just trying to be tactful.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 06:58:41 PM

Maxim---just go back up a few posts and you will find the one that proves the fact.

Yet another baseless assertion; dismissed.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 07:01:54 PM

Maxim---just go back up a few posts and you will find the one that proves the fact.

So you didn't find it? Or didn't understand it?

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 07:03:26 PM

So you didn't find it? Or didn't understand it?

Your questions, which are both non sequiturs, are dismissed.

ws23rt

:rotz:
Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 07:05:30 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 07:03:26 PM

So you didn't find it? Or didn't understand it? :rotz:

Your questions, which are both non sequiturs, are dismissed.

I recall this episode of star trek.
The small brain damaged robot that was given an impossible task. He had to be transported far in order to avoid his self destruction causing the enterprise to be destroyed. :rotz:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 07:12:08 PM
The small brain damaged robot that was given an impossible task. He had to be transported far in order to avoid his self destruction causing the enterprise to be destroyed. :rotz:

Another non sequitur; dismissed.

To simplify this for you:

1. You made a baseless assertion, and any baseless assertion (AKA: mere assertion) can logically/legitimately be dismissed out of hand, as it lacks the basis it needs to lend it validity.

2. I informed you that your baseless assertion was dismissed.

3. You asked two questions that didn't logically follow from you being informed that your assertion was baseless and were therefore dismissed (an example of something that would have logically followed from that would be for you to have provided basis for your previous assertion). Anything that doesn't logically follow from that to which it is a reply is a non sequitur, which is a logical fallacy, and all logical fallacies can legitimately be dismissed out of hand.

4. You followed with another non sequitur; one that you apparently think is clever (though in reality it merely demonstrates your obliviousness to what's happening), which was also dismissed, of course.

Deep left field is clearly where you hang your hat.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 07:33:32 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 07:12:08 PM

Another non sequitur; dismissed.

To simplify this for you:

1. You made a baseless assertion, and any baseless assertion (AKA: mere assertion) can logically/legitimately be dismissed out of hand, as it lacks the basis it needs to lend it validity.

2. I informed you that your baseless assertion was dismissed.

3. You asked two questions that didn't logically follow from you being informed that your assertion was baseless and were therefore dismissed (an example of something that would have logically followed from that would be for you to have provided basis for your previous assertion). Anything that doesn't logically follow from that to which it is a reply is a non sequitur, which is a logical fallacy, and all logical fallacies can legitimately be dismissed out of hand.

4. You followed with another non sequitur; one that you apparently think is clever (though in reality it merely demonstrates your obliviousness to what's happening), which was also dismissed, of course.

Deep left field is clearly where you hang your hat.

I need this to be much simpler than your four step program.  And perhaps the many who are wondering WTF is going on need it as well.

If I look and act like a duck than call me a duck. :icon_smile_wink:

A383Wing

Wonder if Maximum ever got his distributor changed? He spends so much time typing worthless replies that I bet he forgot all about it

I'm sure somewhere here there were instructions on how to replace a distributor

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on August 22, 2013, 07:48:57 PM
Wonder if Maximum ever got his distributor changed? He spends so much time typing worthless replies that I bet he forgot all about it

It is --more that once I think acudanut settled it. :lol:
OOps  I mean there are---    I'm going to get spanked for that.

A383Wing

He probably "dismissed" those replies as well

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 07:45:20 PM

I need this to be much simpler than your four step program.  And perhaps the many who are wondering WTF is going on.

I doubt there are "many who are wondering WTF is going on". It is very simple. There is an argument going on in this thread pertaining to ignition systems. Thus far, you're not a part of it. You're simply on the sidelines with "Cooter" and some others hurling paper cups, which you are admittedly doing as an irrational emotional "defensive" response.

So, you've been commenting on a thread that you haven't read? I suggest you start with Reply #3, first sentence, in order to cure your wondering. Then you could perhaps note the various times since that post that I've mentioned that the HEI conversion is already installed and working perfectly, something which is impossible without having changed the distributor (HEI won't work with a points-type distributor).

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 07:45:20 PM

I need this to be much simpler than your four step program.  And perhaps the many who are wondering WTF is going on.

I doubt there are "many who are wondering WTF is going on". It is very simple. There is an argument going on in this thread pertaining to ignition systems. Thus far, you're not a part of it. You're simply on the sidelines with "Cooter" and some others hurling paper cups, which you are admittedly doing as an irrational emotional "defensive" response.

So, you've been commenting on a thread that you haven't read? I suggest you start with Reply #3, first sentence, in order to cure your wondering. Then you could perhaps note the various times since that post that I've mentioned that the HEI conversion is already installed and working perfectly, something which is impossible without having changed the distributor (HEI won't work with a points-type distributor).

1. I have been commenting on more than one thread.
2. My comments have not been relevant to the topic.
3. I have read and completely understood the topics.
4. I have been defensive. That is my motivation.
5. The reason I have been defensive is the way you respond to posters. Me included.
6. I may have been off base to intrude. But it was too compelling.

So hear we are. The threads have gone on for many pages. It is not the few posts that I have made that explains that.

I propose that you tell us why the threads have gone on as long as they have.  Take your time and be honest. And tell us in one sentence.
You already can compose the same descriptive sentence that the other posters would draft. That is if you were to grasp how you come across to them.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 08:26:56 PM

5. The reason I have been defensive is the way you respond to posters. Me included.

This same type of thing has happened on many forums (though this one is very tame in comparison to most of them), but you are the first I've ever seen admit to the true reason that a peanut gallery forms in threads like these. That particular motivation is always the result of irrational bias too (rather than an objective, accurate assessment of what's going on), at least in threads like this that I've been at the center of.

For example, with regard to your #5, go ahead and point out something specific I've said to another poster that was unjustified. Keep in mind that you already established your bias / inability to accurately assess what's going on, in your first post on this thread, when you said:

"When others have proposed an idea or opinion you seem to be able to reject them all as absurd."

A claim which is blatantly false.

Cooter

Trying to make a point with this yankee is like wallowing in the mud with a pig...Sooner or later, you begin to realize the pig likes it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 09:01:50 PM

....at least in threads like this that I've been at the center of.

Golly Gee, wonder why.....

ws23rt

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 08:26:56 PM

This same type of thing has happened on many forums (though this one is very tame in comparison to most of them), but you are the first I've ever seen admit to the true reason that a peanut gallery forms in threads like these. That particular motivation is always the result of irrational bias too (rather than an objective, accurate assessment of what's going on), at least in threads like this that I've been at the center of.

For example, with regard to your #5, go ahead and point out something specific I've said to another poster that was unjustified. Keep in mind that you already established your bias / inability to accurately assess what's going on, in your first post on this thread, when you said:

"When others have proposed an idea or opinion you seem to be able to reject them all as absurd."

A claim which is blatantly false.

Good grief.  You just don't get it.
It is not what you say it is the condescending, dismissive, arrogant, impudent, snobbish manner that you have that is so off putting.
In order for one to respond to something you said they first have to feel the blast that comes from you about the very idea of even asking or proposing something in the first place.
For the most part the responding posters are very respective and civil. But to do so they have to endure the wrath and scorn for being so pathetically ignorant.

Cooter

Since he's all knowing, let him figure out (or rewrite the FSM on it) how to put his own damn distributor in.
I refuse to try and help anybody like this p***k.
I know how to work on my junk. I also know you draw more flies with honey than you ever will with vinegar.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 14, 2013, 10:45:37 PM

I don't know if I even have timing marks, and I don't really know how to use a timing light either, nor do I have a timing light.

this coming from the electrical engineer

and yea..what Cooter said

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Cooter on August 22, 2013, 09:17:52 PM

Trying to make a point with this yankee is like wallowing in the mud with a pig...Sooner or later, you begin to realize the pig likes it.

You have no point in this thread whatsoever.

Quote from: A383Wing on August 22, 2013, 09:21:48 PM

....at least in threads like this that I've been at the center of.

Golly Gee, wonder why.....

Because the ones that I've been at the center of are the only ones I can say for sure are "always the result of irrational bias", obviously.

Quote from: ws23rt on August 22, 2013, 09:22:16 PM

Good grief.  You just don't get it.
It is not what you say it is the condescending, dismissive, arrogant, impudent, snobbish manner that you have that is so off putting.
In order for one to respond to something you said they first have to feel the blast that comes from you about the very idea of even asking or proposing something in the first place.
For the most part the responding posters are very respective and civil. But to do so they have to endure the wrath and scorn for being so pathetically ignorant.

And here you re-establish your bias / inability to accurately assess what's going on. Given that you have no actual examples, your text is merely a collection of baseless assertions, and is therefore dismissed.

Quote from: Cooter on August 22, 2013, 09:28:44 PM
Since he's all knowing, let him figure out (or rewrite the FSM on it) how to put his own damn distributor in.
I refuse to try and help anybody like this p***k.
I know how to work on my junk. I also know you draw more flies with honey than you ever will with vinegar.

^^^ Thin-skinned and emotionally volatile, much like my sister.

By the way, I see you read the thread title, and not much else. I already knew how to physically change the distributor, but I wanted to know if a 318 engine needed to be at top dead center first. It seemed to me that it did not, as I stated in the OP, because it could only go in two ways. As it turned out, this was correct, as confirmed by the first reply to this post. In Reply #3 I noted that I'd changed the distributor and done the HEI conversion, and it was working fine.

And I'm far from "all knowing", and nowhere have I ever claimed, implied, suggested, or even hinted that I am "all knowing".

Quote from: A383Wing on August 22, 2013, 09:57:12 PM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 14, 2013, 10:45:37 PM

I don't know if I even have timing marks, and I don't really know how to use a timing light either, nor do I have a timing light.

this coming from the electrical engineer

and yea..what Cooter said

I'm not an electrical engineer, nor do electrical engineers automatically own a timing light or know how to use one. However:

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 17, 2013, 07:10:44 PM

On the topic of the timing: I spliced a new cord onto my friend's timing light; found, cleaned, highlighted, and verified the timing marks on my car, and the timing light worked fine. The way I had it adjusted (from when I backed it off a bit the other day to stop it from pinging) turned out to be only a couple/few degrees BTDC. I set it to TDC and it runs fine. It idles much smoother than it did with the old points distributor, but it still doesn't idle as smooth as I'd like. The engine still rocks slightly back and forth when idling. I'm not sure what else to do to make it idle smoother though. I suppose I could mess with the idle mixture, and maybe get some new spark plugs.

A timing light is very simple as it turns out; I'd never used one before though. All it is is a light that is powered by energy from the coil to a sparkplug. You could even modify a $5 inline spark tester to work as a timing light.

A383Wing

you would have to figure out how to put a couple relays in it before it would work correctly

Fred

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 22, 2013, 10:30:54 PM

nor do electrical engineers automatically own a timing light or know how to use one. However:

Unless you have spoken to every engineer (in USA at least) and know this to be fact (proven beyond all reasonable doubt), I am dismissing this twaddle!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.