News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to change a distributor in a 318

Started by MaximRecoil, August 13, 2013, 07:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Quote from: Fred on August 24, 2013, 12:56:25 AM
Quote from: ws23rt on August 24, 2013, 12:53:02 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 24, 2013, 12:42:55 AM
Quote from: ws23rt on August 24, 2013, 12:30:59 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 24, 2013, 12:25:56 AM
Can that be claim be verified?                                                                                                        :rofl:

The fact that I said it speaks to that. No further verification is required. "Ching"
I believe that has been proven wrong.

That I was proven wrong has yet to be done.
1. In order to prove that was wrong one would have to presume that what I say was not some sort of sarcastic notion.
2. Or condescension to bait someone into making an ass of them selves.  (in public no less)

I'm very much enjoying my own arse (ass) at the moment as I've been relegated to monkey status!   :icon_smile_big:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 24, 2013, 01:00:13 AM
Can that be claim be verified?                                                                                                        :rofl:

The fact that I said it speaks to that. No further verification is required. "Ching"

1. In order to prove that was wrong one would have to presume that what I say was not some sort of sarcastic notion.
2. Or condescension to bait someone into making an ass of them selves.  (in public no less)

I'm very much enjoying my own arse (ass) at the moment as I've been relegated to monkey status!   :icon_smile_big:

Gorgeous, isn't it?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

ws23rt

JB400

John_Kunkel

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 23, 2013, 04:30:40 PM
The relay doesn't have 44-year-old internal contacts in unknown condition. It has brand new internal contacts rated for 40 amps (which is a lot). My car is a '69, which I've stated in this thread already.

"Fixing" a problem includes replacing faulty parts, if the ign. switch falls under that category....

QuoteAnd that HEI module bracket you linked to is utterly irrelevant. Where and how you decide to mount the HEI module has nothing to do with whether you decide to use a relay or not.

As usual, you miss the point. My point in posting the link is to illustrate that the idea of using the HEI has been around for a long time.

QuoteAs long as the voltage input equals or exceeds e.g. ~9 volts, and there is sufficient amperage, then increasing voltage and available amperage will not change anything, aside from making the ballast resistor hotter.

Nonsense.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 24, 2013, 12:59:16 PM

"Fixing" a problem includes replacing faulty parts, if the ign. switch falls under that category....

The ignition switch wasn't designed to meet the demands of HEI. It may be up to the task due to pure chance or it may not, but you could run into a situation where you decide to replace all the stock ignition wires with heavier ones, and find that the old ignition switch is a weak link, i.e., a source of resistance that's still keeping voltage lower than if you'd just used a relay. You could replace the ignition switch with a new one and still find it to be a weak link, due to never having been designed to meet the demands of HEI in the first place. Like I said, your idea is not only much more of a pain than simply using a relay, but it is also a crapshoot. Using a relay is already doing exactly what I want it to (i.e., practically no voltage drop relative to the source), and your only arguments against it have been "what ifs". Those "what ifs" are trivial, because quality ISO relays are quite reliable, and if one in the ignition circuit fails, it is not even remotely a big deal.

As usual, you miss the point. My point in posting the link is to illustrate that the idea of using the HEI has been around for a long time.

I missed the point? That's some irony right there, coming from someone who tries to make a point on an uncontested matter; i.e., I've never disputed the [irrelevant] fact that Mopar HEI conversions have been around for a long time. They have potentially been around since GM first introduced HEI in the mid-1970s, which is much longer than that bracket's been around I might add.

QuoteAs long as the voltage input equals or exceeds e.g. ~9 volts, and there is sufficient amperage, then increasing voltage and available amperage will not change anything, aside from making the ballast resistor hotter.

Nonsense.

Your "nonsense" claim can legitimately be dismissed for two reasons:

1. It is a baseless assertion.
2. Your claim is false by definition of ballast resistor, which has already been pointed out multiple times, which means your claim has already been refuted.

Additionally, you already condeded the entire argument. Here's where you did so:

Quoterelays are dandy for avoiding long runs of heavy gauge wire and that's how they're used in most modern installations....

Not just to avoid long runs of heavy wire, but to avoid heavy duty switches as well, which is exactly how I'm using the relay, thus you've just conceded the entire argument, and you've negated your suggestion to "fix that", since following that suggestion of yours would result in "long runs of heavy wire".

Also, since you never answered the question, I'll ask again:

Do you endorse the Mopar headlight relay conversion?

A383Wing

How do you get your Mom to type all this out?

MaximRecoil

ws23rt

Quote from: Fred on August 24, 2013, 01:03:37 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 24, 2013, 01:00:13 AM
Can that be claim be verified?                                                                                                        :rofl:

OOps  I clicked on the wrong key :shruggy:  Sorry

2. Or condescension to bait someone into making an ass of them selves.  (in public no less)

I'm very much enjoying my own arse (ass) at the moment as I've been relegated to monkey status!   :icon_smile_big:

Gorgeous, isn't it?

A383Wing

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 24, 2013, 05:30:36 PM

*Ching*
*Ching*

is that your little tricycle bell?

Your reply has been dismissed ....like always

MaximRecoil

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on August 24, 2013, 05:42:42 PM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 24, 2013, 05:30:36 PM

*Ching*
*Ching*

is that your little tricycle bell?

Your reply has been dismissed ....like always

Isn't it interesting . This communication thing.  So much can be said with so few words.

However some are restricted by English professors and turn out in this world floundering while attempting to understand what folks are saying. :shruggy:

And sometimes even a big pink picture (that speaks volumes) isn't enough. 

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ws23rt on August 24, 2013, 05:54:07 PM

Isn't it interesting . This communication thing.  So much can be said with so few words.

However some are restricted by English professors and turn out in this world floundering while attempting to understand what folks are saying. :shruggy:

I've already noted the comical irony of you attempting to appraise anyone else's ability to communicate; consider it noted again.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 24, 2013, 05:58:55 PM

I've already noted the comical irony of you attempting to appraise anyone else's ability to communicate; consider it noted again.

And I will as well take that under consideration.  Just give me a moment for a Google break.

ws23rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 24, 2013, 05:58:55 PM

Ok I'm back--whheeew---Are you still there Maxim?

No --- wait a min. __ sorry The life that I live is calling again.  I will be right back I promise.   Hang on.  

I promise  :icon_smile_wink:

Cooter

You guys are still trying..... The more you feed the machine, the worse he becomes.

You can't talk horse sense to a jackass. The world is wrong, and he's right. It's so elementary Watson. Oh wait, is that gonna be dismissed too?

Damn, I gotta go to Google and look up some big words.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

His dismissals are futile.  He either was ill prepared for a general discussion of the topic in hand and is using dismissals as back door excuse to do further research, or he recognizes that he has been proven wrong and refuses to admit so.

On another note, even the headline to this topic is irrelevant.  "DIY HEI conversion" would have been more fitting as a headline than "How to change a distributor in a 318"

MaximRecoil

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 25, 2013, 11:59:14 AM
His dismissals are futile.

All of my dismissals are legitimate, with an explanation accompanying each one. Your "futile" claim doesn't even make sense, given that in order for something to be "futile", that something must be done with a goal in mind down the road ("futile" meaning you'll never reach that goal). There is no goal down the road with a dismissal; each one is a done deal. When something can logically be dismissed, then logically, it is as if it were never typed.

QuoteHe either was ill prepared for a general discussion of the topic in hand and is using dismissals as back door excuse to do further research, or he recognizes that he has been proven wrong and refuses to admit so.

Say what? As I said, all of my dismissals are legitimate, with an explanation accompanying each one. Provide one example of a legitimate argument/claim that I have simply dismissed. You can't, because you are simply making stuff up here. Also, the idea that I've been proven wrong in this thread is laughable. This is another thing for which you can't provide an example, because you are making stuff up.

QuoteOn another note, even the headline to this topic is irrelevant.

Is that a joke? Read the OP; I asked about changing the distributor.

Quote"DIY HEI conversion" would have been more fitting as a headline than "How to change a distributor in a 318"

Sure, in hindsight, which is irrelevant given that I don't possess a functional crystal ball. Did you even read this thread? I'm not the one that made an issue of the HEI conversion; I didn't even ask any questions about it, nor did I suggest that anyone else do the conversion to their car. I already knew how to do it, and it was already done before I mentioned it. After changing the distributor and completing the HEI conversion, I made a post detailing what I'd done so far (which included a drawing of the HEI conversion) and asked about timing (see Reply #3), which is part and parcel of changing a distributor. The people who looked at the drawing and decided to make an issue about the use of a relay in the HEI conversion are the ones that steered this thread in that direction.

flyinlow

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

A383Wing

ACUDANUT

"DIY HEI conversion" would have been more fitting as a headline than "How to change a distributor in a 318"  7 pages here on this simple topic.. I hope you found out how to change it. :nana:

MaximRecoil

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 26, 2013, 04:24:08 PM
"DIY HEI conversion" would have been more fitting as a headline than "How to change a distributor in a 318"  7 pages here on this simple topic.. I hope you found out how to change it. :nana:

From « Reply #167 on: Yesterday at 04:19:12 PM » (just a few posts back):

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 25, 2013, 05:19:12 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 25, 2013, 11:59:14 AM
"DIY HEI conversion" would have been more fitting as a headline than "How to change a distributor in a 318"

Sure, in hindsight, which is irrelevant given that I don't possess a functional crystal ball. Did you even read this thread? I'm not the one that made an issue of the HEI conversion; I didn't even ask any questions about it, nor did I suggest that anyone else do the conversion to their car. I already knew how to do it, and it was already done before I mentioned it. After changing the distributor and completing the HEI conversion, I made a post detailing what I'd done so far (which included a drawing of the HEI conversion) and asked about timing (see Reply #3), which is part and parcel of changing a distributor. The people who looked at the drawing and decided to make an issue about the use of a relay in the HEI conversion are the ones that steered this thread in that direction.