News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How can someone hate...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 18, 2013, 06:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

in 20 years the FandF series will be considered CLASSICS!!

Bullit at the time SUCKED big time no one liked it and it was not until later people loved it and the car chase scene. Same with Vanishing point it made no money at the movies and it bombed HARD, but now its a cult classic.

Mytur Binsdirti

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 19, 2013, 02:18:39 PM

Bullit at the time SUCKED big time no one liked it and it was not until later people loved it and the car chase scene.

Nonsense, every car guy I know loved it from the gitgo.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

myk

I actually liked Bullitt as a movie.  I mean, Frank Bullitt represented what many of us believe to be the ideal man: strong willed, skilled, cool, intelligent, tough, and smooth enough to bed a foreign beauty queen; therefore I enjoyed watching his cool-as-ice persona disrespect his over-bearing, bureaucratic bosses, trump the bad guys as well as generally saving the day.  

In tough situations where I feel like losing it, I always ask myself: "what would Bullitt do?"  

As for the 'Fast movies, they're just as good or bad as any other car-based movie, and they are what they are; you either love them or hate them.  The one and ONLY problem I have with 'Fast is when one of the slutted-out race-whores in the movie refered to Paul Walker's character as "Bullitt;" bottom line is Paul Walker will never be Steve McQueen, and no one ever needs to dare to try and make that correlation...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 19, 2013, 02:54:32 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 19, 2013, 02:18:39 PM

Bullit at the time SUCKED big time no one liked it and it was not until later people loved it and the car chase scene.

Nonsense, every car guy I know loved it from the gitgo.

No, I think he's correct, but only because of devolution. The standards by which humanity decides what is good and right is pretty much in the basement now.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 18, 2013, 06:05:00 PM
this scene in the movie....the movie was well worth it to see this part alone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhBdLMKD1Zc&list=PLKtnkwH4FHLcuhUM120W_N7LAs0CJ0cIl

I didn't know there was any specific hate for that particular 20-second scene. The hate generally applies to the whole movie, and if anything is singled out with regard to the Charger, it is the cartoon-like wheelstand scene; the scene where it gets wrecked; or the blower sticking up out of the hood (non-functional no less).

I've always thought the movie sucked because it is full of bad acting and annoying "ricer kids". I was frequenting the old Car Chat:1 Yahoo Chat room in 2001 when that movie came out, and it was responsible for a whole slew of wannabe "ricer kids" coming out of the woodwork, with their new favorite word: "NOS", and claiming to be "street racers", even though most of them were obviously no older than 14.

I don't like the looks of a blower sticking up out of the hood on any car; it looks like a clunky afterthought which ruins the lines of the car. This is especially true of a 2nd generation Charger, since it came from the factory with the best lines of any muscle car ever made in my opinion. It is also a shame to cut up a 2nd generation Charger hood, since it is a particularly good looking hood, what with the simulated wastegates and all, which match the ones in the doors.

myk

That's what aftermarket reproduction steel hoods and, my personal favorite, fiberglass hoods are for; you can cut those things up all day long without a care for that factory-love stuff...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Cooter

I thought it was a good movie for what it was supposed to do. It wasn't set up for the enthusiast, it was set up to make money off everybody involved in the street racing scene. Be it little ricer dudes, or the American muscle guys.the term NOS is no diffetent than MPG now. I know guys right now that can't stand abreviations. They still prefer miles per gallon, and N.  O.  S.
How many that have run Nitrous had someone who clearly should know better, say something stupid like "I see your running that NITRO in it"?
Stupid abreviations have been around longer than f&f movies.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

QuoteI thought it was a good movie for what it was supposed to do. It wasn't set up for the enthusiast, it was set up to make money off everybody involved in the street racing scene. Be it little ricer dudes, or the American muscle guys.the term NOS is no diffetent than MPG now. I know guys right now that can't stand abreviations. They still prefer miles per gallon, and N.  O.  S.
How many that have run Nitrous had someone who clearly should know better, say something stupid like "I see your running that NITRO in it"?

Bingo.
There's a difference between an unflattering portrayal and an accurate portrayal of unflattering stuff.  

In 1979 I doubt many adult car guys thought the goofy orange Charger with the rebel flag showing up on TV lately would be declared the most influential Hot Rod of all time a generation later.  But that's what Hot Rod magazine called the General Lee couple years ago.  (And "most influential" is tough to argue with, like it or not.)

"Fast & Furious" #1 is already a modern classic in the eyes of MANY younger people, like it or not.

I'll grant that its a classic crappy B-movie.  But so is DMCL, Gone/60, Two-Lane, VP, or most of the other car movies we revere.  Car movies are normally on the poop-list of cinema, then or now.  That's one of the reasons something like Bullitt is held to such a high regard, being an exception to that.  

Budnicks

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 20, 2013, 07:35:56 AM
QuoteI thought it was a good movie for what it was supposed to do. It wasn't set up for the enthusiast, it was set up to make money off everybody involved in the street racing scene. Be it little ricer dudes, or the American muscle guys.the term NOS is no diffetent than MPG now. I know guys right now that can't stand abreviations. They still prefer miles per gallon, and N.  O.  S.

Bingo.
There's a difference between an unflattering portrayal and an accurate portrayal of unflattering stuff.  

In 1979 I doubt many adult car guys thought the goofy orange Charger with the rebel flag showing up on TV lately would be declared the most influential Hot Rod of all time a generation later.  But that's what Hot Rod magazine called the General Lee couple years ago.  (And "most influential" is tough to argue with, like it or not.)

"Fast & Furious" #1 is already a modern classic in the eyes of MANY younger people, like it or not.

I'll grant that its a classic crappy B-movie.  But so is DMCL, Gone/60, Two-Lane, VP, or most of the other car movies we revere.  Car movies are normally on the poop-list of cinema, then or now.  That's one of the reasons something like Bullitt is held to such a high regard, being an exception to that.  

very well said  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks