News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BIG WILLIE Daytona restoration has begun.

Started by jonw29, August 14, 2013, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

thats a shame  ,  should have just left it as is , or at the most stopped the deterioration and left it as a time capsule         :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

JB400

Maybe, it was worse than it actually appeared to be.  There is quite a fine line between preservation and restoration. :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on August 14, 2013, 11:10:32 AM
Maybe, it was worse than it actually appeared to be.  There is quite a fine line between preservation and restoration. :Twocents:
granted I have seen the car and  it was pretty bad , but It ran and drove and could have been left alone .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

JB400

What was the extent of the damage?  If it was just a matter of the rear rails and trunk being rotten, I'd of replaced those to keep it solid, and left the rest alone.  If there was more damage than that, then I'd have to say a restoration was necessary.

After taking a second look, I'm in agreement with the owner.  With the rear plug that far gone, he made the right decision.

FJ5WING

The "leave them as is" has to stop if you guys want to keep these cars around.

If I didn't address my car it would have returned to the great earth long before it would've appeared necessary. the previous owner sprayed on some retail store undercoating and the underside was beginning to rust under the undercoating. I found it when a piece of undercoating flaked off and exposed the floor pan while I was crawling under the car to ready the car for the tranny removal. Had I just drove and displayed a great unrestored Bird....well you know.

So anyway...I have no problem when someone restores rather than carts around something that needs attention. I know Im in the minority.
wingless now, but still around.

nascarxx29

I went to Cherry Hill Dodge while back which has my hometown dealer knew the owner and parts man from often visits .To get anything to support how it ended up in Ca or who bought it from Cherry Hill Dodge originally .But no luck also searched newspaper archives but didnt see any listed .Found other local  numerous  muscle car ads as John Anotelli Y2 daytona from Capitol Dodge Trenton Etc

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11789.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

Not to mention, didn't Willie get all his cars acid dipped?  It could be really bad in all the places we can't see.  Leave it as it is too often turns into remember how it was.

nascarxx29

The king and Queen 426 drag cars were dipped to non existence .This car was a tow car or 440 personal driver of his

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14491.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

QuoteMaybe, it was worse than it actually appeared to be

:yesnod:  you guys know that i'm a big believer in leaving cars orig . no matter how they look . this car needed lotsa luv just to keep it going . Donwan is my friend and i know the car well . this guy is doing the rite thing  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Budnicks

Quote from: FJ5WING on August 14, 2013, 11:57:34 AM
The "leave them as is" has to stop if you guys want to keep these cars around.

If I didn't address my car it would have returned to the great earth long before it would've appeared necessary. the previous owner sprayed on some retail store undercoating and the underside was beginning to rust under the undercoating. I found it when a piece of undercoating flaked off and exposed the floor pan while I was crawling under the car to ready the car for the tranny removal. Had I just drove and displayed a great unrestored Bird....well you know.

So anyway...I have no problem when someone restores rather than carts around something that needs attention. I know Im in the minority.
:2thumbs: I agree, some should be saved, but also some need to be saved &/or restored also...  :Twocents: they're only original once, if it's a great shape survivor save it & clean up what needs to be cleaned up/fixed, otherwise IMHFO do what you need to do... Have fun
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

chargerman69

He's doing the right thing, he dipped the one daytona a noth times till it didn't exist, i got a mag about the cars

65post

I would be upset if it was going back bone stock.  :Twocents:
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

tan top

shame its being restored !!!  but   would say leave as is , i'm all for keeping things original or as it was back in the day ,  & maybe you could only do the worst bits etc , but where does it stop as we all know , be for you know it  there are 20 boxes of parts & a empty body shell  :icon_smile_blackeye:   , restore it & return it to as good or better than it was ,  just document , take pictures / videos  of everything  :Twocents:  

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

rob-dirt

Quote from: 65post on August 16, 2013, 10:00:26 PM
I would be upset if it was going back bone stock.  :Twocents:

Me Too - That would be like painting Joe Dirt

bull

There's a time for everything and the Big Willie era for this car has come to and end. The Daytona part of this story is more important. Save the car!

FJ5WING

since I stated Im not a fan of leaving them "as is" I also agree with the above that it should be restored as the "Big Willie" Daytona.
wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

Yes, it should be saved but it should without question be saved as Willie's car.  Just stop the rot and make it right.

richRTSE

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2013, 08:37:22 PM
Yes, it should be saved but it should without question be saved as Willie's car.  Just stop the rot and make it right.

from reading the article, it sounds like it is going to be restored as the Big Willie car...  :2thumbs:

QuoteThe decision for restoration was made largely by the car's current condition, which Owens deemed too far gone for mere preservation. The plan is to recreate the car as it was in the mid-1970s...
QuoteOwens said he plans to replicate the car's original functional paint job, too, so look for red paint to show through the car's cream finish overspray in the trunk and engine bay. The original fiberglass hood is now too fragile to use, so Owens recreated the piece from the steel hood of a 1970 Charger...
QuoteIf all goes as planned, Owens will finish the car this winter, meaning it will debut on the show circuit in 2014.

wingcar

As long as it's restored back to the way it was when "Big Willie" owned it...I would be fine with it.  If on the other hand the owner wanted to restore it back to factory show room condition....I would give it a big thumbs down.  To many "day-two" muscle cars from back in the day have been restored to better than show room condition....they have lost their individuality (something that they can never regain) and many times they become lost in a sea of stock muscle cars.   I am glad to see that the present owner is in fact returning it back to it's original condition (although I am sure that it will still be a step or two above the way it was back in the day....Willie was more concerned with speed...not looks).  I hope more people will keep the "Day Two" look, as it is really refreshing.  And, it's neat to see how they really looked back in the day......I know that none of my cars retained their stock look for long.  *Just my two cents on the issue....... :Twocents:

1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Budnicks

Quote from: wingcar on August 21, 2013, 02:45:37 PM
As long as it's restored back to the way it was when "Big Willie" owned it...I would be fine with it.  If on the other hand the owner wanted to restore it back to factory show room condition....I would give it a big thumbs down.  To many "day-two" muscle cars from back in the day have been restored to better than show room condition....they have lost their individuality (something that they can never regain) and many times they become lost in a sea of stock muscle cars.   I am glad to see that the present owner is in fact returning it back to it's original condition (although I am sure that it will still be a step or two above the way it was back in the day....Willie was more concerned with speed...not looks).  I hope more people will keep the "Day Two" look, as it is really refreshing.  And, it's neat to see how they really looked back in the day......I know that none of my cars retained their stock look for long.  *Just my two cents on the issue....... :Twocents:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks