News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should i fill in my cowl vent?

Started by Baldwinvette77, August 24, 2013, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwinvette77

so i ask if i should fill in the cowl vent grille on my 68 charger, i've never had to deal with a cowl vent and im wondering if it will leak water into the interior unless i install a certain component that im unaware of or if i should simply shave it off, but of course if it wont leak i'll keep it since it looks good  :coolgleamA:

green69rt

I can't visualize your concern but there are a few points you can check, but..... the cowl usually is not the problem on second generation chargers.   The problem is the windshield seal.  Others can chime in but the windshield seal arrangement tends to hold water because of the voids.  So, if you want to prevent problems I'd think about that before worrying about the cowl vents.

Ok, now that said, there are only a couple of places that water can get into the car thru the cowl.  First, the wiper pivots, these need to be good and installed correctly.
Second, something odd going on and water makes it into the cowl then down thru the fresh air vents into the passenger compartment.   And finally a leak thru the seam between the upper and lower cowls.  You can get someone with small arms (think a young person) to reach up thru the fresh air vents into the cowl plenum and add some seam sealer to the leaking area.

Blocking off the cowl will block off any fresh air into the passenger compartment (unless you open a window.)

NHCharger

I wouldn't. As green RT mentioned it's your major source of fresh air. The engine produces a lot of heat and the fresh air vents under the dash help move the hot air up and out of the cabin. Unless you plan on installing A/C you will be dealing with a constant case of swamp ass anytime you drive the car when it's warm out.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

swamp ass         :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

thats funny NH
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

OR.....You can do Like the 1964 1/2 - 66 Mustang guys and fab up some sort of temp block off when it rains. Basically, a cover that has rubber around the outside and what appears to be "toggle" style bolts that go through the little vents to seal it to the car. Easily removable in case, but looks like ass when installed.

I blocked off the fresh air vent in the cowl in the Challenger because of leaks. No problems so far. Roll down a window and all is good. Course, it will have A/C eventually.

BTW: TRUST ME, that cowl area on your car WILL LEAK. Wipers are the main point, but if leaves, dirt, and what looks to be a compost pile has been in the cowl for 30 years, you can bet it's gonna leak. It can still pull fresh air from elsewhere if blocked off.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Cooter on August 25, 2013, 10:51:19 AM
OR.....You can do Like the 1964 1/2 - 66 Mustang guys and fab up some sort of temp block off when it rains. Basically, a cover that has rubber around the outside and what appears to be "toggle" style bolts that go through the little vents to seal it to the car. Easily removable in case, but looks like ass when installed.

I blocked off the fresh air vent in the cowl in the Challenger because of leaks. No problems so far. Roll down a window and all is good. Course, it will have A/C eventually.

BTW: TRUST ME, that cowl area on your car WILL LEAK. Wipers are the main point, but if leaves, dirt, and what looks to be a compost pile has been in the cowl for 30 years, you can bet it's gonna leak. It can still pull fresh air from elsewhere if blocked off.

Right, well i guess ill fill it in then, gotta do something about the wipers too... finding a complete set would be a nice start  :scratchchin:

you think pirating a wiper system from another, more modern car would help the leak issue?  :shruggy:

Cooter

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on August 25, 2013, 07:54:22 PM

Right, well i guess ill fill it in then, gotta do something about the wipers too... finding a complete set would be a nice start  :scratchchin:

you think pirating a wiper system from another, more modern car would help the leak issue?  :shruggy:
No, I think getting everything to work properly would not be worth the two $15.00 seals for the stock wipers.
I got transmission round here I think. No motor.
Transmission cab be had from any 1968-1970 b body btw.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"