News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

The left side required some help.
You can see how its a bit out of shape compared to the patch (in front)

mopar4don

more showing metal out of shape

mopar4don

I did try to hammer and dolly it, but it didn't take long to figure out my best bet would be to section this in.
Here you can see I drilled out the spot welds around the bucket, getting it ready to section

mopar4don

Then sectioned the piece being removed and the piece going in

mopar4don

Then weld/grind/file repeat, weld/grind/file repeat
Yes I use a file to finish. I find that I get myself in trouble really fast with grinding disk.
I prefer to add a few weld dots, then file them in!

comet_666

My old panel was so bad it came out in 2 pieces. I actually found one on ebay about 6 years ago that was OEM, this was before they started re popping them again, it had the original shipping tag to a Dodge dealer in Wyoming. When I had the car painted we saved that spot so you can still see the tag.

cdr

Don you are doing a great job !!!!!!!!!!!!    :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

mopar4don

I was going through my pics and found this so I thought I would share.
This is how I straightened the louvers on my cowl.

1st I cut a shim till it fit inside the louver from the backside

mopar4don

I layed a straight edge across the louvers and checked to see which ones needed to be pushed up

mopar4don

Here you can see the gap on the louvers that are marked

I would then gently push up on the shim from underneath, then check the gaps, and repeat. This worked really well for me.
(Just so ya'all know, the pitted up cowl in these pics, was not used, I ended up using the cowl from the 4 door coronet parts car) (I just got back from South Carolina and now I'm talking / typing like them )

MaltFalcon777

I am speechless. :o

You are just getting back at where I am going.

Holy Cow, this thread is absolutely priceless to me.

It will take me hours to review, take notes and really try to understand the incredible job you have done.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

I thought I had a lot to do,  I didn't even have a clue of this much detail to task.

fy469rtse

Great attention to detail,
Don simply amazing work  :2thumbs:

mopar4don

Took all these parts and blasted them.
It took me about 4 hours

Baldwinvette77

Its like a big charger model car kit  :popcrn:

JB400

Hope you remember how it all goes back together :lol:

Ghoste

That blasting can be tedious work too huh?  Better than hand stripping but still tedious.

mopar4don

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on April 22, 2015, 09:09:06 PM
Its like a big charger model car kit  :popcrn:
I always did like models as a kid!

Quote from: JB400 on April 22, 2015, 10:44:50 PM
Hope you remember how it all goes back together :lol:
ME TO! That and not loosing any pieces!  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: Ghoste on April 23, 2015, 05:45:01 AM
That blasting can be tedious work too huh?  Better than hand stripping but still tedious.
It can be tough on ya. Especially trying to hold those small parts.

Nwcharger

I like how your tackling your restoration. Great pics  :2thumbs: what's your plan with the body jig when your finished?
1969 coronet wagon

mopar4don

Quote from: Nwcharger on May 10, 2015, 11:51:16 AM
I like how your tackling your restoration. Great pics  :2thumbs: what's your plan with the body jig when your finished?
Thanks Nwcharger,
Not really sure what I'll do with it.
Might keep it for the next one :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

mopar4don

Here are all those parts in epoxy

Pat1973charger

Looking awesome don! I wish I had the time and energy (crazy at work) to start my charger!

mopar4don

I have been really busy to Pat, but I did manage to attend The Lane Automotive car show this past weekend!
The say it had 1700 cars there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cebzUDXHocA&feature=youtu.be

keepat

Look like a big car show but no chargers in the video, did you see any there?
Thanks
Pat

Pat1973charger

Looks like fun don, gotta love car shows! We have one coming up near me on Father's Day that has a few hundred cars in it (not bad for rural Nova Scotia lol). My dad and I usually try to get to as many as we can, this year I'm going to take my little guy, he is only 9 months but gotta start em young lol!