News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

Don,
Cool upgrade to your K member. It's nice welding with that heavy steel as you don't ever burn through it like you can the 20 gauge body panels.
Pat 

mopar4don

Quote from: keepat on January 20, 2016, 07:54:13 AM
Don,
Cool upgrade to your K member. It's nice welding with that heavy steel as you don't ever burn through it like you can the 20 gauge body panels.
Pat 

Hi Pat,
Amen to that! The biggest problem I had, was getting my welder dialed in and the welds to look good as I was not use to the higher settings on the welder.

charger chris

Looking good. Looks like u got some of ur parts where I been getting my from. His car helping to save at least two cars. And his car gettin a wing and nose and engine.
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

mopar4don

Did a little work on my lower control arms.

I never got a pic after grinding down the welds.
I will get some after they come back from powdercoat

Lighthorseman

..."Did a little work on my lower control arms...."

Noted two references to this mod recently, and find it quite interesting.  My LCAs are currently out of the car, and this would be a great time to jump on the LCA stiffening bandwagon - Does this make a noticeable difference?  Is there a template out there for a guy to follow, with regard to thickness, etc?

--> Edit...     http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1965-76-Mopar-A-62-72-B-70-74-E-Body-Lower-Control-Arm-Stiffening-Plates-/201401517559?hash=item2ee47745f7:g:sYcAAOSwgQ9VwiHL&vxp=mtr

Well, what do you know?  There they are...

mopar4don

Yup those are it.
I am kinda like you, As long as I had everything apart I figured I may as well do it.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

mopar4don

I got the 4 speed pedal backer bracket welded into the firewall.

Cncguy

mopar4don

Originally there were 2 spot welds, so I drilled a couple of holes and plug welded them in

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mopar4don on February 11, 2016, 07:32:45 AM
Originally there were 2 spot welds, so I drilled a couple of holes and plug welded them in

:yesnod:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mopar4don

Ok, next I got my grill support back together.

mopar4don

Before I disassembled the grill support, I drilled some 1/8 holes to aid in re-alignment

mopar4don

These alignment holes worked for self tapping screws

mopar4don

These next 4 pics show the support compleatly finished

Pat1973charger

Looks good Don! I wish I had a solid grille support lol......baldwinvette  ;)

mopar4don

Quote from: Pat1973charger on February 12, 2016, 12:59:21 AM
Looks good Don! I wish I had a solid grille support lol......baldwinvette  ;)
Ah, you noticed that extra one ther didnt ya :icon_smile_big:

mopar4don

I was a little concerned about any possible rust that I could not get at when I blasted. (RUST BAD :flame:)
So I bought some Eastwood internal frame coating and sprayed down the inside of the a-pillars and inside the front frame rails

mopar4don

notice all the tape (even the yellow tape on the driver side front frame rail), this was to cover the holes so the coating would not run out

mopar4don

Or should I say it was an attempt to seal the openings and keep the coating from running out
But it did anyway! WHAT a MESS! but I think it is worth it. (at least it makes me feel a little better)

mopar4don

I will most likely spray inside the torsion bars and rear frame rails before the get covered.
here is one more pic of the driver side frame rail

green69rt

Quote from: mopar4don on February 15, 2016, 10:23:52 PM
notice all the tape (even the yellow tape on the driver side front frame rail), this was to cover the holes so the coating would not run out

I did the same thing.  I also sprayed it inside the folds of the trunk lid, hood and the bottom of the doors.  But, I didn't think about the A pillars.  All places you can't really clean up very well, sometimes you can't even see what's in there!  And, yes, that stuff is runny and you can't keep it from seeping out any little hole but I guess that's what makes it a good sealant.

It does clean up with Lacquer thinner, maybe even mineral spirits if it hasn't cured.

fy469rtse

Don,
With that grill frame , I modified mine so the top comes off, also hidden welded to make that frame more rigid ,
It does support a plastic grill after all
And with the top separate to rest ,
Amazing how differently you can put the front together ,
Grill support and grill can go in last ,
Front valance and bumper
Looks stock

mopar4don

Quote from: green69rt on February 15, 2016, 11:20:13 PM
Quote from: mopar4don on February 15, 2016, 10:23:52 PM

I did the same thing.  I also sprayed it inside the folds of the trunk lid, hood and the bottom of the doors.  But, I didn't think about the A pillars.  All places you can't really clean up very well, sometimes you can't even see what's in there!  And, yes, that stuff is runny and you can't keep it from seeping out any little hole but I guess that's what makes it a good sealant.

It does clean up with Lacquer thinner, maybe even mineral spirits if it hasn't cured.
You say you sprayed it inside the trunk lid and hood. Hmmm :scratchchin:
It's kinda weird you mentioned that as I was just looking at my trunk lid, and wondering what to do about all the rust inside. When I roll the trunk around, I get a lot of rust falling out. (I was thinking about seperating the inner from the outer) But I think spraying that inside should help a lot!
Thanks Green

mopar4don

Quote from: fy469rtse on February 16, 2016, 03:45:37 AM
Don,
With that grill frame , I modified mine so the top comes off, also hidden welded to make that frame more rigid ,
It does support a plastic grill after all
And with the top separate to rest ,
Amazing how differently you can put the front together ,
Grill support and grill can go in last ,
Front valance and bumper
Looks stock

Do you have a link showing how you did this?