News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Don's 69 Charger Rust Belt restoration

Started by mopar4don, September 01, 2013, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

Quote from: Bronzedodge on June 23, 2020, 06:39:16 PM
Dip it in some Rit black dye.
Good to know, thanks bronze! Maybe a black sharpie would work?

mopar4don

So here is the cluster completely assembled and the bezel and the woodgrain overlay

mopar4don

And the cluster assembly with the woodgrain overlays assembled into there respective bezels

mopar4don

And the completed cluster assembly

mopar4don

Here are a couple of pics with the cluster and bezels installed into the dash frame

mopar4don

And here the dash frame is back into its storage frame and wrapped up for safe keeping

keepat

darbgnik

Wow, looks great.

I still have to freshen my dash.......  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

mopar4don

I welded in the 4 speed hump and bucket seat brackets

mopar4don

Then I moved on to the the roof skin.
If you remember I have been trying to get the back half of the car put together.
It was when I was fitting the quarters that I realized that I needed the roof skin on the car so that I can fit the window opening, (glass and trim) which includes the sail panel area of the quarter panels. So by moving or adjusting one panel, it may affect the adjacent panel, which could turn into a domino affect. So to be on the safe side I want every panel fitted before anything gets welded.

So I started stripping the old paint off

mopar4don

Half way through stripping I realized that I needed to repair the rear window channel. So I started planning and creating the patches to fix the rear channel. I marked out where the window clip holes were, as some of the holes would fall into the patches, and I would need to drill them back in.

mopar4don

So here you can see some of the heavy pitting that will need patched

mopar4don

so I cut it out and patched in the new piece

mopar4don

here you can see the 2 areas that I patched

mopar4don

Here is a couple of pics showing the corner that needed fixed

mopar4don

Once I had all of the metal patched I made a wooden form to support the roof when working on the back side

mopar4don

Then I finished stripping the top side

last 2 pics show the stripping disc I used

mopar4don

Next I separated the skin from the roof structure. There are a lot of spotwelds in the drip rails and along the front

mopar4don

Then I flipped the skin over and started stripping.

mopar4don

Just to review the stripping process.
I did not want to blast because I was afraid of warping.
So I decided to strip it with one of those stripping discs. I was a bit concerned about heat build up which could lead to warping. But I kept it cool by putting my 2 foot shop fan on it and also would air blast it as needed. It turned out good. I used up 3 stripping discs.

mopar4don

Next I got the roof skin in the booth and rust preped it then sprayed some epoxy

mopar4don

Flipped it over then repeated. Here you can see the Auto Tech rust prep I used