News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with traction problem

Started by XH29N0G, September 16, 2013, 05:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

Quote from: Cooter on September 23, 2013, 07:04:28 PM
Remember, as soon as you hear what we refer to as " duct tape ripping" somethings gonna break. Sticky tires and dead hooks spell disaster for 8 3/4 rears. I twisted stock axles twice so far.

So Cooter .... Is there a precaution I should take to avoid this sound of duct tape ripping.  I worry that some of this stuff I have to learn the hard way  :brickwall: :brickwall: but I would prefer not to if there is something I should have done  :slap:

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

six-tee-nine

As long as you dont have traction you wont break something.
The instant your wheels have that much traction that they wont spin anymore then the 8-3/4 rear axle will become the next weakest link. Then its Dana 60 time.
Buy yourself a drive shaft loop also. Its mandatory with a manual transmission. It prevents the driveshaft from slapping you in the neck if you should kill the yoke after numerous powershifts.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Cooter

Quote from: XH29N0G on September 23, 2013, 09:13:27 PM
Remember, as soon as you hear what we refer to as " duct tape ripping" somethings gonna break. Sticky tires and dead hooks spell disaster for 8 3/4 rears. I twisted stock axles twice so far.

So Cooter .... Is there a precaution I should take to avoid this sound of duct tape ripping.  I worry that some of this stuff I have to learn the hard way  :brickwall: :brickwall: but I would prefer not to if there is something I should have done  :slap:

Sure..either don't drive it hard, or leave tge DOT tires on tirerack.com
Too many people are spoiled today and want it all...right now. Ok, you can have great traction, awesome fuel mileage, reliability, etc. Only problem is very few can afford it. For the rest of us, its understanding that good trsction, poeershiftibg, shift kits ( bang screech), big torque numbers, etc. Need Dana 60 rears.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XH29N0G

Quote from: Cooter on September 25, 2013, 11:51:44 AM
Quote from: XH29N0G on September 23, 2013, 09:13:27 PM

Sure..either don't drive it hard, or leave tge DOT tires on tirerack.com
Too many people are spoiled today and want it all...right now. Ok, you can have great traction, awesome fuel mileage, reliability, etc. Only problem is very few can afford it. For the rest of us, its understanding that good trsction, poeershiftibg, shift kits ( bang screech), big torque numbers, etc. Need Dana 60 rears.

Cooter (or others),

I guess I will take my chances for now, but look into the suggestions others have made.  Another question came to mind.  I have read that some have reinforced 8.75s with braces (I see them for sale at various places).  Are they worth it.  Will they give me more of a margin, or is it really just a Dana 60 if this doesn't work.

Thanks

Or maybe it protects us. 

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

HPP

You can build a stout 8.75, by adding a brace, getting better axles, an improved limited slip, bigger bearing ends, etc. By the time your done, you will have as much into the 8.75 upgrades as it would cost to build the Dana, and you will still have a significant delta between their torque handling capabilities.

Cooter

I built a truck dana 60 for less than some wanted for a 489 sure grip...its so easy to convert a 3/4ton dana it should be illegal.

Only thing is you gotta fab up a pinoon snubber, but aint that hard to do as I dI'd it...
However, I do realize that way to many today are what we refer to as ' Blister pack hot rodders'...it must be a bolt in deal or nothing.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XH29N0G

Thank you both.  I probably qualify as a 'blister pack whatever', but this gives me the information I need.  I always try to learn and bit by bit I get closer to doing more and more things. 

Or maybe it protects us.