News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need help identifying this box

Started by ThomasTedder, September 07, 2013, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasTedder

I found this box screwed to the top of the glove box liner. What is it?
1968 Dodge Charger RT
1972 Dodge Dart - 318
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
1971 Ford F250 Four Door
1972 GMC Jimmy

MaximRecoil

That's funny. I have the same box in the same location in my '69 and I've wondered what it is. I was planning to make a thread asking about it, as soon as I got around to taking a picture of it.

A383Wing

Charger-Bodie

Its part of the dual speaker 8track system.

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 07, 2013, 11:08:39 PM

Interesting. I had no idea my car came with an 8-track player (just a gaping hole where the radio used to be when I got the car). It does have a 3-speaker dash.

What does that box do exactly?

ThomasTedder

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 07, 2013, 11:08:39 PM

My charger came with 3 speakers in the dash. I guess it had an 8 track too, but that's long gone.
1968 Dodge Charger RT
1972 Dodge Dart - 318
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
1971 Ford F250 Four Door
1972 GMC Jimmy

Brock Lee

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 07, 2013, 11:54:04 PM

What does that box do exactly?

Looking at the schematics, it appears it may be the amplifier section. It is possible they couldn't fit the amp in the radio with all the tape player components, so they made it external.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 10, 2013, 05:14:15 AM
Crossover system for the speakers. very tipical on E bodies... this is the harness:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Cuda-Challenger-3-speaker-Crossover-Radio-Harness-/151114524816?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232f20a890&vxp=mtr#ht_68wt_1170

What would a crossover be doing in a factory stereo system consisting of only full-range speakers?

Crossovers are used to split up the frequencies / direct them to specific speakers in component speaker systems. For example, if you had a typical aftermarket system consisting of a subwoofer, a pair of midrange drivers, and a pair of tweeters; and two amplifiers: a mono class D amplifier for the subwoofer and a stereo class A/B amplifier for the midrange drivers and tweeters, you would:

- Set the built-in active low-pass crossover on the mono amplifier to e.g. 80 Hz, which allows frequencies of 80 Hz and lower to pass to the subwoofer, while frequencies higher than 80 Hz are rolled off at e.g., 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB per octave, depending on the design of the crossover.

- Set the built-in active high-pass crossover on the stereo amplifier to 80 Hz, which allows frequencies of 80 Hz and higher to pass to the midrange drivers and tweeters, while frequencies lower than 80 Hz are rolled off at e.g., 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB per octave, depending on the design of the crossover.

- Use a passive combination highpass/lowpass crossover between the midrange drivers and tweeters. Unlike active crossovers, these are usually preset to a specific frequency, such as 3 kHz for use with midrange driver / tweeter combinations, which allows frequencies of 3 kHz and higher to pass to the tweeters, and frequencies of 3 kHz and lower to pass to the midrange drivers, while frequencies lower than 3 kHz to the tweeters and frequencies higher than 3 kHz to the midrange drivers are rolled off at e.g., 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB per octave, depending on the design of the crossover.

So in a system that only has full-range speakers, like nearly all factory systems including all of them available in an old Dodge Charger, what function does a crossover serve?

Nacho-RT74

I know what a crossover is ( I'm an audio tech ) but is the way how was called

:shruggy:

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Troy

The only way you could get a 3 speaker dash was with the 8 track. It was the only stereo option (AM and FM were still mono in those days).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 10, 2013, 10:33:33 AM
I know what a crossover is ( I'm an audio tech ) but is the way how was called

:shruggy:

Yes, I'm just wondering what this thing that Chrysler called a "crossover" actually does.

maxwellwedge

I think it is more of a fader. Every 8 Track car I have has one. Shows in the FSM wiring diagrams as well. If you need one they aren't cheap.

John_Kunkel

From the '68 parts manual:

Plate and Cover, Cross Over Mtg, Stereo 2820 885. B, C and Y-Body.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.