News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rhetorical Question of the Night - tranny Q & A

Started by HeavyFuel, September 06, 2013, 08:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.

It lasted for about 700 miles, so I'm thinking something internal must have been screwy, not something that went wrong during assembly or cam break-in.

The rebuild shop must have goofed something up.  When I put it together, everything bolted together fine during the mating of the 727 housing to the block.  Flex plate attached as it should.  Driveshaft...too easy.  My kickdown linkage was off a bit when I checked it a week ago, but that shouldn't cause the tranny to eat itself, I wouldn't think.

A different reputable tranny shop is going to work on it next week.....gonna take the whole car in, not just the 727.

One exciting thing:  I didn't really think the car was performing as it should, power-wise.  This could be why, so I'm anxious to drive it on the other end of the trans rebuild. 

ws23rt

Keep us tuned in----follow ups are the most useful part of a thread like this---we all learn from it :2thumbs:

ottawamerc

See light at the end of the tunnel :dance: :woohoo:

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

HeavyFuel

Quote from: ws23rt on September 09, 2013, 09:23:27 PM
Keep us tuned in----follow ups are the most useful part of a thread like this---we all learn from it :2thumbs:

Keeping with that line of thought, I observed a couple things in the weeks leading up to the noise in the tranny.  These things that I noticed were more subtle that a loud noise, and an experienced motorhead probably would have checked into a potential problem earlier.

1.  A few weeks ago I was approaching an offramp at about 60-ish, and for grins I dropped it into neutral, just to see how it free-wheeled at a higher speed.  Well, the car didn't keep speed at all....it slowed very fast.   Maybe nothing tranny related.....could be dragging brakes, slight front alignment problem (toe-in), or wind drag.  I just found it surprising that a heavy car wouldn't carry more momentum.

2.  A couple days before the noise showed up, the reverse seemed weird, almost like a 'direct' gearing.  I had to keep my foot on the gas to move the car in reverse.....again, no coasting.   I thought that was odd.

Food for thought.

ws23rt

When the transmission you are used to does something different that you are used to-- it is speaking to you.---

People seldom have it checked out properly at the first sign of something is up.  They usually drive it until it doesn't drive so good or at all. The fix at that time is much greater that it could have been.

The same with the engine---Oil changes and tune check make them go far beyond what we expect.

HeavyFuel

Update.

Well the car was a trailer queen this morning....took it the the tranny shop on a Featherlite borrowed from my uncle.  Nice friggin' trailer.   :2thumbs:

The shop just called.  Failure of some kind inside the converter.    :brickwall:   The noise was from the fins rubbing on something else, they figure.  The rest of the tranny looked not too bad.

He also said that a seal of some type (I can't recall what he called it) was the wrong one.  Thank you, prior tranny shop.   :flame:

He figures it'll cost me about a grand.   The wife is gonna have my ass.    :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Can you 'break' a converter.....or install it wrong?      :scratchchin:    Did I do something wrong?

Hughes converter, if anyones wondering.

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on September 17, 2013, 02:34:46 PM
Update.

Well the car was a trailer queen this morning....took it the the tranny shop on a Featherlite borrowed from my uncle.  Nice friggin' trailer.   :2thumbs:

The shop just called.  Failure of some kind inside the converter.    :brickwall:   The noise was from the fins rubbing on something else, they figure.  The rest of the tranny looked not too bad.

He also said that a seal of some type (I can't recall what he called it) was the wrong one.  Thank you, prior tranny shop.   :flame:

He figures it'll cost me about a grand.   The wife is gonna have my ass.    :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Can you 'break' a converter.....or install it wrong?      :scratchchin:    Did I do something wrong?

Let me get this straight.  You paid a shop to do the trans and...why is that shop not paying for the repairs they are responsible for?  Less than 1000 miles should be well covered no?  Sorry if I missed something.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Paul G

I had a converter fail, twice. Once a lock up converter failed in my 01 Ram. Warranty covered a $2500 tranny bill. The symptom then was it just would not lock up. They wanted to rebuild the tranny to clean out all the junk from whatever the converter may have spit out. 

The converter in my 72 failed. It would not stahl. No stahl speed. Grabbed as soon as you gave it gas. The guy who changed it said it was a fins problem inside the converter. ????
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ws23rt

Update.

Well the car was a trailer queen this morning....took it the the tranny shop on a Featherlite borrowed from my uncle.  Nice friggin' trailer.   :2thumbs:

The shop just called.  Failure of some kind inside the converter.    :brickwall:   The noise was from the fins rubbing on something else, they figure.  The rest of the tranny looked not too bad.

He also said that a seal of some type (I can't recall what he called it) was the wrong one.  Thank you, prior tranny shop.   :flame:

He figures it'll cost me about a grand.   The wife is gonna have my ass.    :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Can you 'break' a converter.....or install it wrong?      :scratchchin:    Did I do something wrong?

You can install a converter wrong but that only has to do with it engaging with the transmission pump.

That doesn't seem to be the trouble you have. An internal problem with the convertor is a manufacturing or rebuilding issue.
You are not at fault. You are an unhappy consumer with a bad part.

Your transmission feels pain from this as well.  You are due compensation. :yesnod:

myk

Quote from: Paul G on September 17, 2013, 07:26:55 PM
I had a converter fail, twice. Once a lock up converter failed in my 01 Ram. Warranty covered a $2500 tranny bill. The symptom then was it just would not lock up. They wanted to rebuild the tranny to clean out all the junk from whatever the converter may have spit out. 

The converter in my 72 failed. It would not stahl. No stahl speed. Grabbed as soon as you gave it gas. The guy who changed it said it was a fins problem inside the converter. ????

When you say the converter "would not stall" and "grabbed" as soon as you gave it gas, what do you mean by that; what would the car do?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ws23rt

Quote from: myk on September 17, 2013, 10:43:02 PM

When you say the converter "would not stall" and "grabbed" as soon as you gave it gas, what do you mean by that; what would the car do?

I'd like to know too.  I have never had a convertor fail and it would be helpful to know what it feels like when it does.

Paul G

The engine would bog badly right off idle when flooring the gas peddle. Not too noticeable when taking off slowly. From idle, when giving it gas, it would start to pull right away. Normally the engine rpm should rise before the car pulls hard. That is the stahl, letting the rpm come up before the converter loads the engine. I went through carb and ignition issues for weeks. Turned out to be the converter gone bad.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

myk

Quote from: Paul G on September 17, 2013, 11:21:13 PM

The engine would bog badly right off idle when flooring the gas peddle. Not too noticeable when taking off slowly. From idle, when giving it gas, it would start to pull right away. Normally the engine rpm should rise before the car pulls hard. That is the stahl, letting the rpm come up before the converter loads the engine. I went through carb and ignition issues for weeks. Turned out to be the converter gone bad.

You don't say?  From what you describe we've encountered similar problems with our cars.  Heck I even started a thread about it: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,104129.0.html

Your symptoms are the closest that anyone's ever come to mine.  I can't help but wonder if I'm experiencing the same problem you did.  How did you come to the conclusion that the converter was the problem?  What converter did you end up getting?  
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Paul G

I had a thread going on here about it too. The final thing was to check the stahl by standing on the brake while gassing the car a little,  watch your rpm, the tires should not break loose until the converter is loaded. Some where around 2000 rpm or abouts. Mine would pull hard right off idle. Dont know what brand that converter was. I had a shop put in a used converter he had with a 3000 stahl. That.converter was fun, but not street friendly. The engine would have to hit 1500 rpm to move the car. Great burn outs, just hard to drive on the street. I did an A518 swap after that. I have a Hughes 2400 stahl lock up converter now and could not be happier.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Dino on September 17, 2013, 03:19:01 PM
Update.

Let me get this straight.  You paid a shop to do the trans and...why is that shop not paying for the repairs they are responsible for?  Less than 1000 miles should be well covered no?  Sorry if I missed something.

The tranny didn't fail, per say, it was the converter.  So the original shop won't take ownership of the problem, since I went with an aftermarket converter on my own.

I might be able to go after the converter manufacturer for some compensation.   :scratchchin:

Cooter

Yes these newer lock up converters to take a dump from time to time.
Has something to do "buzzing solenoids" instead of just allowing fluid flow to where it needs to be.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: HeavyFuel on September 18, 2013, 10:49:57 AM
Quote from: Dino on September 17, 2013, 03:19:01 PM
Update.

The tranny didn't fail, per say, it was the converter.  So the original shop won't take ownership of the problem, since I went with an aftermarket converter on my own.

I might be able to go after the converter manufacturer for some compensation.   :scratchchin:

Oh I see.  Well it was worth a shot! 

And it's also worth talking to the manufacturer about this.  You have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time.

HeavyFuel

OK......$986 later.....

It's been longer than a year since I bought the converter, so Hughes won't give me anything.  But Summit took pity on me and is sending out a gift certificate.  Hey, better than nothing.   :-\

So.....I went back to the factory 'high stall', which is advertised at around 2000 stall, and a Transgo mild shift kit was added to the valve body.

The car drives WAY different.     :scratchchin:

1.  The shifts are much more pronounced now, but not overly so.

2.  3rd gear is attained very quickly (1 to 2, 2 to 3) during very mild acceleration.  Is that normal?

3.  The car starts to move a little when you take the foot off the brake.  It never did that before with the other converter, in fact I had to goose the throttle pretty good just to get the car to budge.

4. I had a little bog before with the higher stall, and it came on when I tried to get on it a little bit....never taking off mildly from a stop.  NOW.......I have a serious bog taking off from a stop under light throttle.   I can't get on it at all, or it wants to kill.     :brickwall:

I'm thinking of a couple things.

-Could it be my vacuum advance pod thing on the dizzy is not functioning, resulting in loss of advance when I need it at low RPM?      :scratchchin:    (the old higher stall converter allowed the mechanical to kick in)        I plan to map out the curve, but that's hard to do and have the engine under load, to simulate vacuum changes.

-Fuel problem.....does bog mean lack of fuel most of the time?  Should I increase the accelerator pump shot?  (It's in the middle hole now, factory Carter AVS)  Increase idle mixture?  I know those are minor adjustments, but my carburator experience/knowledge is limited.

Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated!

Dino

At slow speed the trans does shift fairly soon but it's the kick down adjustment that dictates when it shifts, unless something else is going on.  Is it set up correctly?

Disconnect vacuum advance altogether, at least for now until the bog is fixed.  It is most likely not enough fuel.  If you stomp it and it dies it would likely smell of raw fuel when it does.  If it does not then it's too lean.  This is not an exact science btw, just what  I encountered with my own car.

You can move the accelerator pump shot to the hole closest to the carb to see if it gets better but before you do, move the throttle while looking down the carb and see what the squirt looks like.  Any way you can post a video of what the accel pump is doing?

The car moving by itself is pretty normal for an auto.  Mine does it as well.

myk

Quote from: HeavyFuel on September 18, 2013, 09:30:57 PM

4. I had a little bog before with the higher stall, and it came on when I tried to get on it a little bit....never taking off mildly from a stop.  NOW.......I have a serious bog taking off from a stop under light throttle.   I can't get on it at all, or it wants to kill.     :brickwall:

You and me both; I didn't have the problem that you're experiencing until my converter was replaced along with my transmission being rebuilt.  I've played around with tuning possibilities for years and can't get away from the bog; I'm thinking it's the converter-I'm out of ideas...

cudaken

Heavy, with a stock converter it is normal for the car to move when you take your foot off the brake. What year converter did you go with? I have used a 74 Police Converter, it has a 2400 RPM stall, love that converter!  :2thumbs: Mine is a forged crank motor so I had to knock off the counter weight but that was easy.

Shift points, depending on the rear end gear. With 3:23's and just a little gas shift to 2nd by 25 MPH and 3rd at 35 MPH.

Bog, what cam are you running? I have a 509 MP cam in the 68 Road Runner and it had a really bad bog when I had the timing at 14 degrees BTDC. I have the timing now at 20 degrees and bog is gone! I do run a old Accel mechanical advances distributor with dual points.  :D What can I say, I am old!  :smilielol:

Cuda Ken   
I am back

HeavyFuel

Quote from: cudaken on September 19, 2013, 10:11:33 PM

Heavy, with a stock converter it is normal for the car to move when you take your foot off the brake. What year converter did you go with?
I went with the stock converter for the HP 440 in '68.

I have used a 74 Police Converter, it has a 2400 RPM stall, love that converter!  :2thumbs: Mine is a forged crank motor so I had to knock off the counter weight but that was easy.

Shift points, depending on the rear end gear. With 3:23's and just a little gas shift to 2nd by 25 MPH and 3rd at 35 MPH.

I've got 3.23's and under light throttle I go to 2nd at around 20 mph, then to 3rd at about 23 mph......it's quick.

Bog, what cam are you running? I have a 509 MP cam in the 68 Road Runner and it had a really bad bog when I had the timing at 14 degrees BTDC. I have the timing now at 20 degrees and bog is gone! I do run a old Accel mechanical advances distributor with dual points.  :D What can I say, I am old!  :smilielol:

Stock 440 HP cam from '68.   Ken, are you running vac advance or not?  At 20 degrees BTDC, what does your mech advance max at?  I woud like to bump my advance a little to see it that helps, but I'm afraid of pre detonation.  I run a MP electronic conversion.

Cuda Ken   

HeavyFuel

Just got back from a ride...... :2thumbs:

65 degrees....nice and cool... :yesnod:

Getting used to the way that the new converter operates.  I think it's gonna work out.

The drone/noise inside the car seems less with this converter.....don't know for sure, could be imagining it, but it sounds better.

The engine didn't bog quite as bad after it got good and warm.  I checked the choke position when I got home and it might not be all the way open.  Is it suppose to have a little more to open up when fully off, or should it be stopped against something, unable to move any more?  I'm taking about the linkage on the trottle side.

Great to be driving again..... :icon_smile_big:   This gonna be a long winter....when it gets here. :rotz:

cudaken

Heavy Fuel, you need to adjust your kick down and make it a little longer. You can poop the ball socket for the linkage that come up from the transmission a few turns. Take it for a test drive and see where it shifts. If you run out of thread, you can all so turn the slotted linkage tat goes to the carb.

Shifting that fast will cook the transmission fairly quickly.

If you like I think I can scan my factory manual on how to adjust the kick down.

On my 68 Road Runner I run a aftermarket intake and 750 Holley. Linkage was to short. So I cheated, I installed a nut and bolt in the rear of the linkage slot that goes to the carb!  :2thumbs:

Mine distributor is mechanical advances. With you having a stock cam, I would stay in the BTDC 12 to 15 range. Hum, just checked the factory spec and if the motor code is K it should be 7.5 BTDC and code L is 5 BTDC. :shruggy: That is with the vacuum advances discounted.  Gosh I have not ran a stock Mopar Cam in 20 years!  :shruggy:

I will check later what the total advances is, but with the amount of overlap with the 509 MP cam, detonation is not a problem! :lol:

By the way, you had the repairs done professional by a shop? :scratchchin: If you don't want to mess with it, I take it back to them and make it there problem!
If you get it wrong (it is pretty easy) you will be eating another 727.

Cuda Ken    

I am back

cudaken

Heavy, I will be pulling out the shop manual later. I will see what the shift points should be if listed in that fashion.

Ken
I am back