News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dash

Started by el dub, October 29, 2013, 11:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

Getting ready to install dash and have a question. Do you have to put the gauge cluster in the dash before installing or can you put it in after the dash is installed? Thanks.  lw
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ghoste

If you have everything ready to go then its easier to install the dash as an assembly but if you still have items to install such as a dash pad or something then its easier to leave the cluster out for now.

el dub

Thanks Ghost. I was just wondering about the electrical hook up. Like is it easier to hook up the elect. with the gauge cluster out and pull the wires up to it or to mount the cluster then crawl under the dash to hook it up?

Ghoste

If you have everything, I would sub-assemble everything to the dash on a bench.  Put on anything that goes on the dash including the wiring and then put the unit into the car as a whole.  Then its just a matter of plugging the harness into the firewall and hooking up a couple of other things such as heater controls and vent tubes.

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2013, 12:10:41 PM
If you have everything, I would sub-assemble everything to the dash on a bench.  Put on anything that goes on the dash including the wiring and then put the unit into the car as a whole.  Then its just a matter of plugging the harness into the firewall and hooking up a couple of other things such as heater controls and vent tubes.

Absolutely the easiest way to do it.   :yesnod:

Still doable installing the cluster last, but you may invent a few new swear words.

I forget, do you have a 68 or 69?  If 69, when installing the cluster after the dash is in, you need to drop the steering column.  If it's a 68, disregard that comment.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

el dub

My wiring is existing, I didn't pull it out of the car. Its a 68 and I already dropped the steering wheel for more room. 

Ghoste

So you need to plug everything back into the cluster as you.  A little more work that way but can be done.
The factory put it in as an assembled unit because it was comparatively quick and simple.

el dub

Ghoste

If the seats are in you are pretty much obligated to some contortionism no matter what but best of luck.

el dub

Seats are out, steering wheel lowered, dash in. Thanks everyone. Now to hook it up.

Ghoste

:2thumbs:  Keep us updated.

el dub

OK so I'm picking up the tools and notice a little piece of white plastic on the floor of car. I thought I broke one of those spacers under the steering column. Nope, was off the end of the speedo cable, had a little hook on the end. Now I've got to figure out how to fix that. 

Ghoste

Ouch, I don't have any advice for that, hopefully someone else does or you may have to buy a replacement. :shruggy:

Hard Charger

little white plastic thingy with a hook is the end of the speedo cable that broke off as you were removing it from the cluster.

it is brittle and very commonly broken when you don't know about it.