News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mecum Auction held at Monterey this Past August

Started by wingcar, September 29, 2013, 10:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingcar

Did anyone else catch the story on the Mecum Auction held at Monterey this past August?  Page 81 of the  November 2013 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines.  It mentioned that a 1970 Superbird had bid to $110,00.00, but did not sell...ok, I can buy that, as the owner wanted to hold out for more.  However, after reading the small write up I have same big questions.  Here is the right up:

"Though it may be tough to imagine since it's now in street trim, this superbird was presented as having been raced by Roger McCluskey in NASCAR in 1970 - and there was supporting documentation and photos of McCluskey driving the Plymouth to prove its provenance.  Except for the door graphics from the race days, the V-code Superbird has been restored to stock, receiving a fresh 440 Six-Barrel engine, an A-833 four-speed and Dana 60 rear, back in 2003.  Its white-on-white color comination is rare and the Bird's history is one-of-a-kind, so it should come as little surprise that it was a no sale at $110,000.00"

First off, the above information is from the seller and not Hemmings, so I don't blame them, but after reading the description all I can say is..."IS THE SELLER SERIOUS?, I MEAN REALLY?"  A NASCAR Stock car returned to totally stock form.....sorry I do not in any way shape or form believe this to be the case.  Has ANYONE ever returned a Stockcar back to totally stock form, and why would you do that when the car would be worth much more as a race car....case in point, the Romo Stott #7 Superbird.  And, by the way Roger raced his Superbird in USAC, not NASCAR.  I saw this Superbird back in 2010 at a car show in Phoenix (not in the show) the driver of the car never said anything about it's being an old racecar.  

(Didn't we just see another race wingcar at a Mecum Auction a while back that was not all it was said to be?)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

Aero426

None of the winged race cars have been returned to stock because:

1 - Almost all of them were reskinned with newer bodies and raced on in later years.

2 - Of those that were rebodied, few survived the many seasons of racing.   (The real McCluskey car is said to have been totaled out as a Charger in 1976).

3 - None of the factory stock cars were built from street Superbirds.   They were built from bare bodies (no factory VINs) and special components.  

4 - Because of the level of modification under the skin, it would not be cost effective to return the race car to a street type body.   For example, from the windshield forward, about the only parts remaining from the original body are the two lower frame rails.  Even the firewall is completely changed out.  

5 - On some cars, the outer bodies and rocker panels were completely cut away from the floor pans and repositioned at an optimum angle for aerodynamics.   

maxwellwedge

Aero426

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 30, 2013, 09:59:01 AM

Just need a Rimo and a Rumo

His last name often gets mangled too.   You have to gently remind folks that he and Wendell Scott are not related.

But I don't think he cared too much what you called him, as long as the check in the envelope was good.

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on September 30, 2013, 11:13:55 AM
His last name often gets mangled too.   You have to gently remind folks that he and Wendell Scott are not related.

But I don't think he cared too much what you called him, as long as the check in the envelope was good.

You mean I'm going to stay this color???