News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A couple questions about repro glass

Started by bull, September 28, 2013, 02:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

First, how's the quality of the reproduction (AMD?) glass. I'm sure there are some older threads around that might answer this question but I think it's been a while.

Second, when you buy glass do you have to buy an entire set, pairs, or can you buy individual pieces other than rear windows and windshields? My driver side wing window has a strange scratch in it, almost like a gouge, but I believe the rest of the glass is in decent shape.

resq302

Curtis,

Try calling Dave at ECS Automotive.  I know they can get auto glass and even date code it to your car.  As far as entire sets or individual pieces, I don't know.  I have only been trying to work on the original glass on our GTX vert and might have to go ECS as an option for the windshield.  The whole buffing out the scratch process is VERY long and tiresome, not to mention messy!  I think I have a full 3 days into the windshield so far and it is still hazy.  On the upside, I did get the scratch area out where the wipers damaged the windshield..... now I just have the thousands of tiny scratches to deal with.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Patronus

I have a set of AMD. Every piece has at least some kind of blemish. They all fit real well. My biggest gripe is the tempering marks on the rear.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

moparfan53

Quote from: bull on September 28, 2013, 02:14:51 PM
... when you buy glass do you have to buy an entire set, pairs, or can you buy individual pieces other than rear windows and windshields? My driver side wing window has a strange scratch in it, almost like a gouge, but I believe the rest of the glass is in decent shape.

PS Auto Glass sells individual pieces as well as sets. About 4 years ago I bought a rear tinted window from them. I also did not like the tempering marks, same as Patronus found on the AMD glass. I have noticed that some new cars have the same look/marks from certain angles.

http://www.psautoglass.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=16&curPage=1&sortField=sortorder

Chargen69

i bought a whole set of tinted glass from amd, so far the front and rear is installed with no fit problems at all.  and the glass looked fine to me.

the door glass doesnt quite look like the factory, the notch that goes into the rubber piece off of the vent window doesnt look the same as factory, just hope it works

bull

Thanks. I should post a pic of the damaged wing window. I may not even worry about it or maybe try to find a decent used one. I have no desire to try getting rid of scratches in glass based on what I've heard about the process. Sounds like a real pain.

8WHEELER

I think this was the last thread on the subject, yes you can buy each piece of glass separately from AMD, don't know of others.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,103654.msg1229620.html#msg1229620

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on September 29, 2013, 12:21:22 AM
I think this was the last thread on the subject, yes you can buy each piece of glass separately from AMD, don't know of others.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,103654.msg1229620.html#msg1229620

Dan

Do the AMD pieces have all the factory markings?

resq302

to my knowledge, AMD does not.  ECS is the only company I think authorized to etch the original logos and such on there.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on September 28, 2013, 11:49:24 PM
Thanks. I should post a pic of the damaged wing window. I may not even worry about it or maybe try to find a decent used one. I have no desire to try getting rid of scratches in glass based on what I've heard about the process. Sounds like a real pain.

you need a used one? Clear or tinted? I might have one if yer still looking

Bryan

tan top

no offence to any glass company etc  , its awesome they repopping this stuff  :cheers:  
think I would look round for a good used OEM  part ,  especialy  as you only need one ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

8WHEELER

The PS glass and the AMD glass had the etched markings. The problem was, some are bigger than the
original, and some were a little smaller. But keep in mind, from 68-70 they changed as well.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Quote from: resq302 on September 29, 2013, 05:21:53 PM
to my knowledge, AMD does not.  ECS is the only company I think authorized to etch the original logos and such on there.

Which forces me to ask, what is the original logo? I've got two different ones on my car. The pass side has the Mopar symbol (seems right) and the other is a PPG Solex Herculite. :shruggy: Were Safety Guard and PPG original too or were they replacements only?

A383Wing

I think they would be replacements only....

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on September 29, 2013, 05:24:44 PM
Quote from: bull on September 28, 2013, 11:49:24 PM

you need a used one? Clear or tinted? I might have one if yer still looking

Bryan

This question and your last comment have shed some light on the subject. My driver side PPG wing window is tinted and the Mopar glass is not. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I should have clear.

A383Wing

yea...sounds like the tinted one was a replacement piece. And your fender tag should state whether you have tinted glass or not on your car

Bryan

Troy

You should have clear unless your car came with A/C (and even that's not a guarantee) or unless it was special ordered with tinted glass. The fender tag will say.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

my cream 66 is a non-ac car...and came with all glass tinted...says the fender tag

bull

Quote from: Troy on September 29, 2013, 10:25:46 PM
You should have clear unless your car came with A/C (and even that's not a guarantee) or unless it was special ordered with tinted glass. The fender tag will say.

Troy

All I find is X2 for tinted windshield.

resq302

Troy,

Our 69 GTX does not have the tinted glass coding on our fender tag (SPO 10/3/68) but the original windshield is still in the car and has the tinted band across the top of it.  Maybe it was only full tinted glass that was coded on the fender tags?
Brian

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on September 29, 2013, 11:54:09 PM
Quote from: Troy on September 29, 2013, 10:25:46 PM

Troy

All I find is X2 for tinted windshield.

then all the rest of the glass is supposed to be clear

resq302

That is how ours appears to be.  Banded or tinted band windshield and clear glass all other places.  Yet it is not on the fender tag.
Brian

bull

I've found a local business that polishes glass and they quoted me as little as $150 to make all six side pieces look new but at that price some of the deeper scratches would not be removed. To have them all polished to look brand new with every scratch removed is more time-consuming and could cost as much as $500, which is still $200 less than a pair of new side door windows and two pieces of quarter glass. There aren't many scratches in my glass but they'll probably stand out if I go with the cheaper process. At any rate I'll be getting them polished instead of buying new.

hemihead

As far as windshields go , I think many get confused . The often stated " tinted " band at the top of the windshield is not tint . It is referred to as " Shaded ".
You can have a Clear and Shade or Tint and Shade or Clear No Shade or Tint and No Shade .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Ghoste

I thought the windshield could only be clear in the drivers viewing area by law?

Chargen69

i dont  think the area that is tinted, behind the sun visor, counts as the driver's viewing area

Ghoste

But if the windshield can be tinted AND shaded, does that not mean that something other than that area behind the visor is darkened?

bull

Me too, but I can tell you based on another thread I started, it's not easy to tell the difference between clear glass and tinted glass. The factory tint was very light.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bull on December 08, 2013, 01:04:10 AM
I've found a local business that polishes glass and they quoted me as little as $150 to make all six side pieces look new but at that price some of the deeper scratches would not be removed. To have them all polished to look brand new with every scratch removed is more time-consuming and could cost as much as $500, which is still $200 less than a pair of new side door windows and two pieces of quarter glass. There aren't many scratches in my glass but they'll probably stand out if I go with the cheaper process. At any rate I'll be getting them polished instead of buying new.

Be carefull with  total glass polishing. I did it once and the glass did turn out smooth......but it looked very, very wavy